DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Tripod Sticks & Heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/)
-   -   Manfrotto 504HD w/536 Tripod Review (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/486423-manfrotto-504hd-w-536-tripod-review.html)

Rusty Rogers October 21st, 2010 09:43 AM

Manfrotto 504HD w/536 Tripod Review

Here's a look at the Manfrotto 504HD and 536 Tripod...
I bought two of these and a wheeled case to hold them both.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/683559-REG/Manfrotto_504HD.htmlhttp://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/556158-REG/Manfrotto_536_536_4_Section_Carbon_Fiber.htmlhttp://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/315760-REG/Nalpak_TP1132WH_TP_1132WH_11_Tuffpak_Series.html

Chris Barcellos October 21st, 2010 10:40 AM

Thanks for the review. I have been wondering about the 504.

Robert Turchick October 21st, 2010 03:10 PM

My wallet hates you!! Ha ha!
Few more gigs and it can happen though.
Nice job on the review!

Rusty Rogers October 22nd, 2010 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Turchick (Post 1580944)
My wallet hates you!! Ha ha!
Few more gigs and it can happen though.
Nice job on the review!

Thanks Robert,
My wallet hates me too.
It really hates me for buying two of them.
My tripods hate me for making them live in a single case with a monopod.
:~)

Ben Fullerton December 6th, 2010 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusty Rogers (Post 1581232)
Thanks Robert,
My wallet hates me too.
It really hates me for buying two of them.
My tripods hate me for making them live in a single case with a monopod.
:~)

It's like My Two Dads or something. Haha.

Great review. Do you happened to know how it compares to the older 503HD head? Thanks!

Christopher McCord January 27th, 2011 04:58 PM

Gitzo GT3541LS Question

Hi, I've got the Gitzo GT3541LS set of legs, which seem really similar to the Manfrotto legs you got with your 504, I'm just wondering, if I get the bowl adapter and the 504 head, I'd basically have the same setup you have here right? Just different legs, but similar.

Also, this would be for a Canon 5D Mark II setup, the 504 would handle that nicely correct?

Annie Haycock February 5th, 2011 12:24 PM

Gitzo v Manfrotto

I have a baby gitzo system tripod which I had expected to use with the 75mm claw ball head from my Libec 38 tripod. However, I'm told the bowl adapter for the gitzo won't work with the tripod head. I haven't had a chance to see why not - I can't afford to keep buying stuff without knowing it will work first. So if anyone out there knows . . . . . .

I also bought a set of Manfrotto short legs, 100mm bowl with the 75mm adapter as shown in the video. Again the Libec head doesn't fit.

So I've found out the hard way that, while things should be interchangeable, they often aren't. Try before you buy if you possibly can.

Chris Soucy February 5th, 2011 01:11 PM

I'm curious.................

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annie Haycock (Post 1614968)
"......with the 75mm adapter as shown in the video. Again the Libec head doesn't fit".

about this.

The Libec RH 25 head I have here is a standard 75 ball base, and is easily interchangeable between the Sachtler, Vinten and Manfrotto 75 mm bowl tripods I have for review (yes, I just tried it on all of them. Not a lot of movement on the Sachtler but then again, none of the other heads have either).

So, how come a standard 75 mm ball from a Libec 38 "doesn't fit" a Manfrotto 75 mm bowl?

Clamp bolt too short? Clamp cup too large?

Enlighten us, Annie.

CS

Annie Haycock February 5th, 2011 01:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Sorry Chris - I got called away before I'd found the pictures:

The libec picture (top) shows the head and legs as they should be - lots of bolt showing through

The Manfrotto picture (bottom shows the head sitting high up in the adapter ring, and no bolt showing through.

I have used it without the adapter ring, but there is very little levelling adjustment available before it throws a wobbly (literally) because the head barely sits on the rim of the bowl.

Chris Soucy February 5th, 2011 02:01 PM

Aha.................

Been here before, 'tho not with this combination.

Somewhere deep in the bowels of this Forum is a thread addressing just this problem, with workarounds.

From memory a web site was trawled up with all sorts of adapter ring sizes that would allow the ball to sit lower in the bowl.

If you can find it (must be at least a year old, if not more) it might just be your answer.

You could try trawling through all my past posts (yeah, of course I partook) or Tripp Woelfel (I think!), tho' God have mercy on you, there's thousands of 'em.

I'll have a look myself later, but as it's only 9 AM and already 28 Celcius, I'm getting out of this computer room NOW!.

Happy hunting.

CS

PS: So I braved the heat and did some trawling, think this is it, or close, I'll post it and keep looking:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-s...-fibretec.html

Annie Haycock February 5th, 2011 05:38 PM

Thanks Chris - certainly sounds like the same sort of problem.

I did actually email b-hague a couple of months ago to ask if they could machine down an adapter to fit, but they didn't reply. Guess I'd better try them again.

With regard to the Gitzo 75mm bowl - there was the G1422 which has now been replaced by the GS5320V75. They seem to be slightly different shapes - any idea if the Libec head will fit either? Our local camera dealer asked his supplier who told him no - but maybe that was the older model, or maybe he just didn't know!

Thanks

Chris Soucy February 5th, 2011 06:33 PM

A couple of things to try..............

The Hague 100 mm to 75 mm adapter is different to the Manfrotto and MAY do the job all on it's own - it's not going to break the bank to give it a shot.

If that is a bust, they (Hague) have the facilities to machine a mm or three off the adapter, to either, let it (the adaptor) sit lower in the bowl or the head to sit deeper in the adapter, take your pick.

Shouldn't break the bank either.

As to the mic, that's easy, tho, when you say "directly on a tripod" do you mean "all on it's own" or in the company of a camera?

"All on it's own" has all sorts of answers, depending on what tripod you have and what other audio gear is to hand.

For my system tests accompanying these reviews I'm doing, I needed a variable height pulley arrangement that was easily adjustable and very rigid.

I just happened to have a couple of Manfrotto 520Ball 100 mm ball to flat base adapters to hand (as you do), then discovered that the mini boom arm of my K&M mic stand screwed onto the 3/8" bolt on top of that adaptor perfectly.

Whacked that in my humungous Manfrotto 528XB sticks on their dolley and had the pulley support from hell.

However, I also happen to have a pile of both Rode and Rycots mic shock mounts and holders. I just checked 'em out and they all fit the 3/8" bolt on both the 528Ball and the 3/8" bolts on all my K&M stands.

For a 75 mm system get the Manfrotto 500Ball instead. If you have a Manfrotto flat based head (501, 503 etc) you could use that adapter if you don't need the head.

If your requirement is for "with camera" I cannot believe Hague don't have, ready made, an adapter that will bolt (somehow) to a tripod and hold just about anything with either a 1/4" or 3/8" screw.

Check out their clamp section here:

Camera Mounting Brackets and Clamps

As for getting that Libec to work with a Gitzo, I'll pass, never seen a Gitzo (yet) so can't comment.

Keep us posted.

CS

PS: Humble appologies all round for steering this thread off into the scenery, I should know better.