tripod with measurements at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old August 1st, 2005, 11:17 PM   #1
Regular Crew

tripod with measurements

Im looking for tripods that will have measurements on them for returning to EXACT position lock-offs for return-later time lapses.

Any leads?
Old August 1st, 2005, 11:52 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Day
Im looking for tripods that will have measurements on them for returning to EXACT position lock-offs for return-later time lapses.

Any leads?
Stefan,

Could you please clarify your question? I'm sure there are many here who would like to help, but who don't understand what you are asking.

Please clarify your post and resend.

Thanks,

Steph
Stephanie Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2005, 08:23 AM   #3
Major Player

I agree with Steph. It's a little unclear about what you are trying to do. If you're talking about setting up a shot, taking it down and returning the next day and want the exact same angle, that's near impossible.

Dan
www.DVcameraRigs.com
Dan Selakovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2005, 02:09 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I know that this isn't an answer to your question but have you tought of this option:

Take a monitor along with you. Put something transparent over it, and draw the most significant lines on it (horizon, buildings, etc).

Also try to have certain keypoints (cupboard, streetlight, ets) in the corners of your viewfinder.

On the nex shoot, try to align everything as good as possible. This has given the best results so far.
Frank Feijen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2005, 02:17 PM   #5
Capt. Quirk

He's looking for a tripod that has measuring tics on it, so that he can set the height and tilt the same. If nobody can recommend one, you may be able to do the same to an existing tripod, using an engraving pen and ruler.
Old August 2nd, 2005, 02:23 PM   #6
Major Player

Another option for a standard tripod might be to deploy the legs to maximum deflection, all the way to the physical stops (either first stage or second stage). That would produce a height exactly the same as the previous setup if placed on exactly the same level surface.
Old August 10th, 2005, 10:15 AM   #7
Regular Crew

All your suggestions have been very helpful.

Yes, I was looking for a tripod with measurement 'ticks' so that I could strike the shot, and return the next day to get the exact same shot, angle, etc.... so that over the course of month I could capture the flow of plantlife, an area's erosion, etc.

The idea of putting a transparancy over the monitor was a GREAT idea. I actually thought of that too in the days since I last posted this. I was thinking about making little squares that would fit over my XL2's LCD.. since carrying a monitor and power out to my locations of interest is QUITE impracticle.

Making my own tickmarks on the tripod may be a helping thing.. yet,, not 'PERFECT' for measurement.. .. so if anyone has heard of a tripod with measurement 'ticks' I would be much abliged.
Old August 10th, 2005, 10:56 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Since I'm kinda ghetto, you could to some success, take one of those white paint pens, preferably something latex and mark your heights and hinges. I like the engraving pen idea too, but I'd have to get a machine shop to do that, I'd destry my pod for sure.
Old August 10th, 2005, 12:39 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Stefan,
The Sony PD170s, among other Sony cams, allow you to superimpose a still image over what you are taping. The image has to be on a Memory Stick, inserted in the cam. If the XL2 has a similar feature, you might be able to create a still reference image of some sort for use in aligning your shots every day.
Allen Brodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2005, 01:34 PM   #10
Regular Crew

interesting. Is there anyone out there in the XL2 world that knows how to do this? superimpose an image from the memory card over top of the viewfinder. Even if that works though, the process would still require a bit of time and 'finness' .. Im still hunting for the 'sticks with ticks'.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads