Sachtler FSB 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old November 27th, 2010, 04:32 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sachtler FSB 8

I want to get the Sachtler FSB 8, but I canīt make my mind respect the touch ang go or the standard mounting plate.

anybody has any experience with the difference between them?.
Julio Veas P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2010, 10:24 PM   #2
Major Player

I have the side-loading version of this mounting plate. It gives a longer range of balance adjustment than the touch and go plate. I find this extra range useful when switching between small, medium and large-sized video cameras.

I also attach a Canon 7D dSLR, but had to remove the alignment pin from the plate since the dSLR doesn't have a hole for it. Both versions of the plate have the alignment pin. It was easy to remove from my plate, don't know about the T&G.

The side load plate is too long to leave attached to the dSLR, so I have to remove it each time I'm ready to pack up my gear. A minor issue. The T&G version looks much shorter, so maybe better for this application.

The touch and go plate sacrifices some range of balance adjustment for the convenience of being able to set the camera-mounted plate down into the slot and have it lock automatically. I have not used this version, but that's what seems to be the point of it; more rapid setup of your camera.

For me, the side load plate is the better, but not perfect, solution.

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2010, 05:20 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thank for sharing, thatīs more or less the conclusion I had from my review in the internet it seems one of the advantages of the T&G would be to be able to put a DSLR and keep the plate on it when not in use, which is great since I use a 7D along with my EX1, what worries me about the T&G is that its size compromises locking strength ( just assuming I donīt have one to try).

J. Veas
Julio Veas P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2010, 07:27 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I don't have the Sachtler but I recently moved to the Canon TA-100 quick release system on my tripod, shoulder mount, slider and teleprompter. The relevant feature that I like is that on the tripod, I can remove the camera and put it back without changing the center of gravity. That is, the camera comes off and on without a change in the tripod head's sliding plate location. I am not sure if that's a difference in the plates you are choosing but if it is and you only use one camera, then you may appreciate this aspect of the touch and go. YMMV.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads