What is it called: two handle thing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old August 6th, 2005, 07:25 PM   #1
Regular Crew

What is it called: two handle thing

I've seen these pictures of cameras mounted on tripods, but instead of standard pan handles, there are these "double" handles--it looks like instead of being able to pan with one hand, you'd be able to grab on and pan with two hands at once.

Has anyone seen what I'm talking about?

Does anyone know what these are called?

I want one of these things real bad.
Steve Watnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2005, 07:40 PM   #2
Wrangler

Most of the better heads have the option to put the handle on either the left, the right, or both. My Miller DS-5 can do this and so can my Manfrotto 501. You can order a second handle from the manufacturer; look up your model on B&H's website.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2005, 08:01 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Watnet
I've seen these pictures of cameras mounted on tripods, but instead of standard pan handles, there are these "double" handles--it looks like instead of being able to pan with one hand, you'd be able to grab on and pan with two hands at once.

Has anyone seen what I'm talking about?

Does anyone know what these are called?

I want one of these things real bad.

Steve,

I believe that the tripods that you've seen are just outfitted with TWO pan handles, one on either side of the head. Your tripod head must obviously have the capability to accept two arms. Two handles and/or arms are often used when your EFP camera is in "studio configuration" and you have a zoom and focus rig attatched to either arm. In full studio cameras the two handles serve this same purpose as well as controlling panning and tilting with two hands.

Hope this helps,

Stephanie

20 years on a broadcast Sachtler but now using a Manfrotto/Bogen 525 with a 503 ball head
Stephanie Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2005, 02:35 AM   #4
Regular Crew

ok, but what you're describing is the standard type of handle on a tripod--let's say that kind of handle is sort of like a handle on a motorcycle.

what i'm talking about is two handles which are perpendicular to that--you grab them more like a steering wheel. I'm not saying the handles look like a steering wheel, just that one's hands are positioned similar to how they'd be positioned on a steering wheel.

know what I mean? I've only seen this type of rig on big film cameras.
Old August 9th, 2005, 12:17 PM   #5
Wrangler

OK--you've got me, I'm intrigued. Are you thinking of a gearhead (like this?)

If not, please try to describe this further, or provide a link to a picture.
Old August 9th, 2005, 05:55 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I'm not talking about a gearhead--that's another thing I wish I had, but some DP told me that they start at $60k or something, which sounds shocking.

I'll see if I can come up with one. I think I've seen them in American Cinematographer or something. I see them from time to time.

I will do my best/
Old August 9th, 2005, 09:18 PM   #7
Wrangler

Actually, you can find used models of gearheads like the MiniWorrals for around $5K--old Arriheads for $12K--even new ones are only about half of what your friend told you.

I'm still intrigued Steve--I think I've had my hands on just about every kind of control device there is to operate a film camera, but I'm having a hard time picturing what you have in mind.
Old August 10th, 2005, 03:54 PM   #8
Major Player

Are the Handles on the tripod, or the camera?

- Mikko
Old August 11th, 2005, 11:47 AM   #9
Major Player

Charles, a number of years ago, when remote heads were really gaining in popularity, there was a set-up that used "handle bars" rather than wheels or a joystick. The thought was that it would be more intuitive for people that had learned on friction or fluid heads, particularly video camera operators. It actually wasn't a bad idea, but it never gained much of a following, and I don't believe there are any in use today. And I doubt this is what Steve is refering to, but I am also at a loss as to what it could be.

Wayne Orr, SOC
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2005, 12:05 PM   #10
Wrangler

The thought had crossed my mind, Wayne...there are still quite a few "pan bars" out there for remote heads, but this seemed a bit obtuse of a reference, especially since one would never see the camera attached to the control mechanism in a picture of such a setup.

My personal favorite remote head controller is something I saw at Panavision a few years ago; a handheld brace equipped with motion sensors and a small monitor on top. You operate it as if you are operating a handheld camera, and it translates your movement into the remote head--it really does look like handheld!
Old August 11th, 2005, 05:44 PM   #11
Major Player

I'm sort of a camera support junkie so I pay special attention to stuff like that and I'm not sure what the OP is referring to either. The closest thing I've seen is a half-steering wheel type controller used for 3-axis remote heads. But like Charles said, the camera wouldn't be mounted to the controller. Or maybe he's talking about this two-part adjustable pan-bar on studio setups:

Sony BVP900
Tim Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2005, 02:51 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Funny. I didn't imagine this reaction to my question. I looked in a magazine I have that I thought maybe had a picture--and it sort of does, but not quite.

It's a photograph of a HD operator shooting some star wars stuff against a greenscreen. He's pointing the camera by means of two handles on the side--it looks like he's got a hold of a motocross bike, that is, in this case, the handles *are* like motorcycle handles, as opposed to what I described previously.

I'll keep hunting to see if I can't provide more solid evidence of this red herring.

-Thanks, BTW, for the info concerning the gearboxes. The first time I ever saw one was during the opening credits for Contempt/Le Mepris, with Raoul Coutard operating. I figured, based on that sequence, that gear boxes were some standard piece of equipment and therefore readily available and affordable. :\
Old August 12th, 2005, 12:33 PM   #13
Wrangler

<<I figured, based on that sequence, that gear boxes were some standard piece of equipment and therefore readily available and affordable. :\>>

Standard they are, they are on virtually every set (except a growing number of DP's prefer fluid heads). And they are available at all major rental houses. Affordable--that's a relative term...!

For me, I generally prefer the geared head for 90% of the film or HD stuff I operate, going to the fluid head when the situation warrants (extreme tilts, needing to operate the zoom myself, frantic action, etc). But it's a cumbersome piece of gear and I don't bother with it for DV shoots.

By the way, I don't imagine this is it but it does have motorcyle-type handles:

http://www.chapman-leonard.com/sting18%20copy.JPG
Old August 12th, 2005, 08:51 PM   #14
Major Player

Steve sounds like a dual head flash bracket. Like this http://www.pana3ccduser.com/showthread.php?t=1257 but with two handles right?
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads