Anybody using a Davis & Sanford FM18 with a XHA1s? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old June 15th, 2011, 06:52 PM   #1
New Boot

Anybody using a Davis & Sanford FM18 with a XHA1s?

I need a decent tripod and this is about as much as I can afford. It's down to the D&S or the Weifeng 717 for me at this point. I like the look and feel of the D&S but have read conflicting things about how well it works with the size and shape of the XHA1s. Any experience?

FWIW, I am not in a position to buy a more expensive tripod at this moment. I can't wait until I can afford a better tripod. PLEASE don't leave any of those, "if you aren't spending $_, it ain't worth a crap" comments - it does me no good.
Royston Coppenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2011, 06:48 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Anybody using a Davis & Sanford FM18 with a XHA1s?

There are User Reviews here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/336011-REG/Davis_Sanford_FM18_FM18_Fluid_Head.html

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 06:31 PM   #3
Trustee

Royston, did you end up getting the D & S? I'm looking for a cheap tripod for my 2nd camera and I've also narrowed it down to these two. I think I'm really leaning towards the D & S at this stage.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2011, 09:40 PM   #4
New Boot

Hi John:

I did wind up with the Davis & Sanford, and so far I think it's really quite nice. I get very smooth pans and tilts, and it handles my XHA1s with no problem. After a few tries getting the camera on and off is not an issue, nor do I find the pan and tilt controls to be in the way. I wish the leg clamps were metal instead of plastic, but they feel substantial and the tripod feels very secure and stable when extended. All in all, I like it very well. I'll be saving up for something more sophisticated, but for now it's great.
Royston Coppenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2011, 03:53 AM   #5
Trustee

Thanks Royston.

I actually already ordered one last week. I paid $170 for shipping (almost as much as the tripod cost from B & H!) but it still worked out a lot cheaper than anything that is available is Australia. I made sure I filled the parcel up with SDHC cards and other goodies to get my value out of the shipping.

I think the amount I saved on all the items compared to the prices in Australia almost cancelled out the shipping cost. I saved $100 on the Zoom H4n alone, so even if the tripod is a dud then at least the whole process will not have been in vein.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2011, 11:03 AM   #6
Regular Crew

does this head have an adjustable weight spring that allows it to stay tilted without locking ?

How well does it work with very small and light video cameras ?
Barry Richard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads