Anyway to get a Bowl to level just Manfrotto 701HDV head? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old August 13th, 2011, 09:23 AM   #1
Major Player

Anyway to get a Bowl to level just Manfrotto 701HDV head?

I've currently got a Manfrotto 701HDV head on some Giottos legs but, the head never seems to balance the same as the legs, so I was wondering if it's possible to get a bowl like on many Libec tripods have to adjust the level of just the head so I don't have to mess around changing the heights of individual legs.

Thanks for any advice
Matt Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2011, 09:59 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Anyway to get a Bowl to level just Manfrotto 701HDV head?

I don't know what tripod you have, Matt, but the only way I can think of is to use something like the Manfrotto Bowl Adapter: see their website here

This lets you mount your 75mm or 100mm bowl tripod head on a flat based set of legs.

53 quid at Amazon UK, who are always good at refund/exchange if an item doesn't work out.

Last edited by Mike Beckett; August 14th, 2011 at 06:29 AM.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2011, 09:05 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Ah, maybe not.

You can adapt the 701HDV flat bottomed head into a 75 mm BALL type head by using one of these:

Manfrotto 520BALL 75Mm Bowl With Knob - Other

However, you then have the problem of fitting it to a 75 mm BOWL type tripod which I'm assuming the Giotto's are not.

The ball adapter Mike indicated has the fatal flaw that there appears to be no way of leveling the ball head when it is attached to it, thus rendering you right back where you started (the unit indicated is really only suited to sliders and the like which by definition are level).

If you wish to continue using the 701 and have ball leveling, you really need to use a proper 75 mm bowl tripod and the 520Ball I indicated.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2011, 10:43 PM   #4
Major Player

Try this, it works http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=manfrotto+level&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=7525258025&ref=pd_sl_5r5o9ulhhq_b

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2011, 12:57 AM   #5
Trustee

Ah. Chris is right, I think. (As usual! Sickening, isn't it!)

I assumed that the 701HDV came with a ball mount already (like my 501HDV). In any case, if that Manfrotto adapter I linked to doesn't allow you to level the ball, then it is a lot of cash for something that is of very little use!
Old August 14th, 2011, 02:49 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Mike,

You're doing famously, and will be more than a capable replacement for when I finally "drop off my perch" (not something I'm really expecting in the next five minutes, but you never know).

First Rule:

Never Assume Anything - if you do so you will go off chasing bunnies that simply don't exist.

Second Rule:

Think about it.

Never answer a post in the first 2 hours at least. Give yourself plenty of "think time", and keep re - reading the post, as most are coded by bad English, grammer, spelling, logic and information famine.

Third Rule:

Think it through again. Never answer untill you'e absolutely sure you have it sussed in your head, how is it going to work, what will it require and how much will it cost.

This one had me thinking for hours.

You're one of DVinfo's most valuable contirbutors already, I'm most impressed, keep it up!

CS
Old August 14th, 2011, 06:14 AM   #7
Major Player

Thanks guys, I'm guessing Ron's suggestion -

Is the best way of being able to level my tripod head with adjusting the leg heights.

This would do it would it? Manfrotto 520BALL 75mm Half Ball for VIdeo Tripods, Manfrotto, Tripods & Accessories

I was considering sell my tripod head and sticks and trying to buy a Libec but the better ones are like £420 and I wouldn't make half that selling my tripod head/sticks.
Old August 14th, 2011, 06:28 AM   #8
Trustee

Thanks Chris. There was someome who once said that to assume made "an ass out of u and me"!

You of course have the natural advantage of several hours of thinking time, seeing as you live in down under-er! I do think the answer is for everyone to go out and buy Vinten Vision Blue tripods. Once that happens, yer man Harman owes me a postal order for £10!

Back to the OP...

Matt, I use that 520BALL adapter to mount a slider on my Vinten bowl tripod, and have successfully mounted my flat base 501HDV head on the same tripod using that adapter (not to actually use, just to see if it worked). It does need a tripod with a bowl to begin with, though, which you don't have.

If you want to do it on a budget, then you can get the ball adapter and an affordable set of legs with a bowl. Something like this:

E-image AT7402A Aluminium Tripod Legs - Proactive
or
Libec T72 Aluminum Two-Stage Tripod - Proactive

If you're on a low budget, then this is probably as good as it gets.

Questions that should have been asked are:
- What model of Giottos legs?
- What is your camera?
- What weight is your camera rig?
- What is your budget?
- What is your intended use?
- What is your favourite colour?

I have to admit, that even though I have a tiny camera, I now tend to leave my Manfrotto at home and suffer the increased size/weight of the Vinten. I have made some beautiful pans/tilts/zoom combos with the Vinten that just aren't possible with the cheaper tripod, and I never managed with my Libecs or even Sachtler.
Old August 14th, 2011, 07:21 AM   #9
Major Player

Thanks Mike,

So if I bought those legs what else would I need to buy along with it, just the ball adapter? Edit. In Order to be able make the Tripod Head level without altering legs?

My Giottos legs are MTL 9351B.
My Camera is Canon 550D, but when I attached lens, follow focus, filter box it weighs around 3kg/4kg.
I haven't got much of a budget at the minute.

Last edited by Matt Thomas; August 14th, 2011 at 08:47 AM.
Old August 14th, 2011, 01:00 PM   #10
Major Player

The options here are:

1. buy a whole new tripod with new legs and new head.
2. buy new legs and bowl adapter for your existing head.

for #2, you need a set of legs that has a bowl at the top instead of a column. Mike linked to two of them. You'll also need a manfrotto half ball like the 520ball. This will thread directly into the bottom of your 701 head. Once you have the 701 on a half ball and the half ball on a half bowl tripod, then you can adjust the whole head on the ball until its level and tighten it down no matter what the legs are doing. No more adjusting the legs to try to find the perfect level. Magic.

I prefer a 100mm bowl over 75mm, but 100 is more expensive and is heavier and often more expensive. So YMMV there.

cheers!
Andrew Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2011, 03:12 PM   #11
Major Player

Thanks Andrew, you say you prefer the 100mm bowl over a 75mm, Does the head determine what Bowl size you can have?
Old August 14th, 2011, 10:22 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Well, sort of.

The larger heads for heaver payloads come in both 100 mm and 150 mm (you're getting up there with one of those, believe me).

The smaller (standard) heads are 75 mm half ball bases, and with an appropriate adapter (not expensive) can fit into a 100 mm bowl tripod, though the reverse is not true - you can't shoehorn a 100 mm half ball head into a 75 mm half bowl tripod no matter how much KY and brute force you apply.

[A bit of care needs to be used here - some heads have detachable half balls and can be used on flat topped tripods and possibly mated with another size half ball, and some half ball heads have some very wierd proprietry sizes like 65 mm, which is not a "standard" size]

I'm going to put this out there, not for the sake of injecting a bit of gratuitous sex and violence into the fray, but to give you something to think about, and best of all, it's free!

I understand the current budget stands at "Null Pointes" and that you probably know about as much about pro camera supports as I do about brain surgery (which is another "Null Pointes") so why not try this for a bit of a hands on education.

Fire a mail to our 'ol mate Peter Harman at Vinten - Peter.Harman@VitecGroup.com and see if he can T you up with a hands on play with a Vision Blue for a few days and ditto to another 'ol mate, Barbara Jaumann at Sachtler - Barbara.jaumann@vitecgroup.com and see if she'll do the same for an appropriate unit.

You'll get a chance to try out a "real" support and have something to lust after till such time as you've begged/ borrowed or earnt enough to pay for whichever is you're personal preference.

Shouldn't cost a penny and they'll be "the real deal" so you'll know what we're talking about.

Nothing to lose, go on, give it a whirl.

CS
Old August 15th, 2011, 09:22 AM   #13
Major Player

Matt. if you want to hire a tripod anytime I can do you a good deal on a Vinten Pro5.

I've also got a lot of grip stuff like Jib, Track, Magic Arms etc. I'll be buying a Vinten Vision Blue soon, so my Vinten Pro5 and Pro10 will both be up for sale.

Drop me a line, I'm out by the airport, with an office in the city.
Duncan.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads