Can I save my 701RC2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old September 17th, 2011, 10:38 AM   #1
Major Player

Can I save my 701RC2

I purchased a 701RC2 a few years ago but now after contacting manfrotto they no longer use the plate on their new heads. This means I now have a quick release system on my XHA1 which only works with one type of head 'not good'. Is it possible for me to somehow modify the 701RC2 allowing to allow me to use the same base plate as the Manfrotto 701HDV.

I am about to purchase a Glidetrack Hybrid and a Manfrotto MN561BHDV (which comes with a head) I will use that head on the Glidetrack and it would be great if I could use a base plate on my XHA1 that fits both the 701RC2 and the MN561 head.
Tariq Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2011, 01:05 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Can I save my 701RC2

Hi, Tariq,

First, it would be extremely helpfull if you included links to the weapons mentioned, as few, if any, of the brotherhood have a clue as to what, exactly, you're talking about.

Secondly, the answer to your problem(s) is probably a Manfrotto 577 adapter, but I'll sit on the fence, as I can't be bothered trying to find the necessary links myself.

Without the appropriate information, we cannot give you an answer, bottom line.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2011, 04:54 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Re: Can I save my 701RC2

Offhand, I think the compact size of the "RC2" plate will be the biggest challenge, as it's rather a small footprint design. I'm using it myself, because I'm using SMALL cameras, but I can see where it is less than effective if you're using even a medium sized camera. It might be possible to "piggyback" another base plate for a different style of quick release, but stability might become an issue.

FWIW, I retrofitted a 700RC2 onto my 561, as well as my 560 - the heads are removable. AND you can still pick up a 323 (new # for a 3299) base that is RC2 compatible - be aware that the release lock sticks down below the base plate, so you have to finagle the mounting in most instances. There are a number of Bogen/Manfrotto heads and mounts that use the RC2 plate.

Hope that is somewhat helpful in your quest.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads