Sachtler ACE w/ Glidetrack at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 20th, 2012, 09:24 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sachtler ACE w/ Glidetrack

Hello,

I am interested in the Sachtler ACE but cannot find any information if I can remove the head in order to mount a glidetrack in between.

I contacted their support but they didn't come back to me and I cannot find this information anywhere on there website.

If anyone knows would be great to get your feedback
Andreas
Andreas Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 08:45 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Sachtler ACE w/ Glidetrack

Hi, Andreas..............

You need to fire a mail to: Barbara.jaumann@vitecgroup.com

She's the Product Manager for Sachtler and one exceedingly efficient lady. She'll sort you out.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 11:06 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hello Chris,

thanks a lot, I did and here is her feedback.
Quote:
Our Ace fluid head cannot be turned into a flat base head. You will need to have an adapter to put it on a Glidetrack Slider. Unfortunately we do not yet have an adapter for Glidetrack Sliders.

I know that one of our dealers has done its own development, but I am not sure if it will fit onto the Glidetrack Slider. If you want, I can contact him and get more details.

Cheers
Andreas
Andreas Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2012, 12:08 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Here are some products that might help you:

Kessler 100mm High Hat

Kessler 100mm to 75mm Bowl Adapter
Zexun Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2012, 06:49 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I went down this path looking for a non-Manfrotto head that could be both a bowl mount head for tripod use and flat head for slider. The only one I found in my price range was the Sachtler FSB 4. However, it's flat mode isn't made by removing the ball. Rather, the bottom of the ball is flat and you have to remove the center bolt. All told, it's a higher center of gravity than what I wanted. In the end, I went with advice from several folks here on DVinfo and picked up a Manfrotto 701DV. The changeover from slider to normal tripod is as fast as removing the head or the slider from the legs via the tie down cup .... no allen wrenches or whatever to remove/replace ball joints. YMMV
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 11:04 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I own the ACE and it's sturdy enough for it's intended use but I feel you'll be disappointed it it when you mate it with a glidetrack, It's not sturdy enough IMO for that kind of leverage.
Konrad Haskins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads