Quick release plate for Glidecam 2000 and Bogen 501 head at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old September 3rd, 2005, 09:43 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Quick release plate for Glidecam 2000 and Bogen 501 head

I've heard folks here talking about a quick-release plate to transfer their camera from stabilizer to tripod (and vice-versa without having to re-balance the stablizer beyond some fine adjustments). But I can't find what they're talking about at B&H. Do I have the vocab wrong?

A quote from Mark Von Lanken in an earlier post: "You will want to get a quick release mechanism that matches your tripods quick release plate. That way you can go from your tripod to monopod to Glidecam very quickly."

I'm using a Glidecam 2000 with a GL2, and Bogen/Manfrotto tripod w/ 501 head. What is it I'm looking for that'll allow me to transfer the camera (with the 501 plate still attached to the bottom of the camera) from tripod to glidecam easily? I see "Quick Release Plate" come up a lot, but I need one that works with the 501 head I've already got.

Are either of these what I want? Will they work with a 501 camera plate?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

(The 577 definitely works with the 503 head, so if the 503 and 501 use the same mounting plate, then I'm in business with the piece linked directly above)

I know this sounds either like a dumb question or like I've already got my answer, but I'm totally ignorant on this matter. If you reply, please be specific.
Thanks all,
LD
Luke Duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2005, 11:26 AM   #2
Major Player

It's the bottom one. Specific enough?

p.s. you may have some issues with the release handle and clearance with the GC plate, but I think you can overcome it with the Allen screw on the knob.
Old September 3rd, 2005, 12:00 PM   #3
Regular Crew

that's pretty specific, Richard. Thanks.

may I ask if you have personal experience with this setup (501 head, glidecam, and 577 plate)?
Luke Duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2005, 12:23 PM   #4
Major Player

Ermmm, experience with the GL2, a 503 head and the Glidecam, but not with the adaptor, but I work part time in a camera shop, and we deal with Manfrotto, so I’d say you were in safe hands.

You may also find that you have additional holes in the bottom of the plate receiver, and therefore you should be able to use 2 screws to connect it to the GC plate, this should stop it from skewing off to the side.

I'm sure this solution the best way to keep your balance settings.

All the best,

-Rick.
Old November 2nd, 2005, 03:13 PM   #5
Trustee

Luke, use the force Luke...

Sorry, I had to. Don't know many Luke's.

I have the 3021 legs and a 501, Glidecam 2000 also. I also have the Glidecam crane and this looks like what I might need to move from glidecam to tripod and crane. I have the 3130 QR head on the crane/jib right now but the 3130QR plate is different. Looks like my next purchase then. There goes another $100.

Just bought the Film Tools Gripper 3028. Came in the mail today. This is going to be fun too. Rats, make that 3 adapters now.

http://store.yahoo.com/cinemasupplies/gripexsucvac.html

Sean

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2005, 08:44 PM   #6
Major Player

That looks like the same plate that I use with my stabilizer and my 503 head on my tripod. Does anyone know if it is the same plate for both the 501 and the 503?

Thanks,

Tery

sort of from "The Princess Bride"

www.indicam.com
Terry Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2005, 09:26 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Yes apparently it is, I did a quick check on Bogen's website.
Manfrotto 501 = 3433 Bogen
Manfrotto 503 = 3460 Bogen

they are both supplied with the release plate 3433PL which happen to be the one provided with the quick release plate adapter 577.

And if you still have doubts after all of this ;), the description from B&H Photo:
Quote:
Compatible with the 3433PL camera plate (supplied with the 3433, 3460, and 3465 heads) and the special 501PLONG accessory plate.
I also use the 577 with my steadicam (I have a 503 head on my tripod). It works O.K. I wish it had a bubble level on though.
And as said by someone else, you might have a problem with the release, on my Flyer, it was very close to be unusable (I cannot unscrew it completely but enough to slide the plate).

By the way, does anyone know a bogen/manfrotto quick release adapter compatible with the 503 head and WITH a bubble level?

Thanks,
Quoc
Quoc Peyrot is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads