Really, really pissed at manfrotto 501 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old November 1st, 2012, 02:14 PM   #1
Major Player

Really, really pissed at manfrotto 501

this head keep getting stuck to everything... First it was my slider so I stop using it on that. And now it is stuck on my tripod. Couldn't get the freaking thing off. I try to call manfrotto and they never answer. I can't stand bad customer service. Anybody have the same problem with manfrotto head getting stuck to your tripod?
Victor Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 03:17 PM   #2
Manfrotto

Re: Really, really pissed at manfrotto 501

Hi Victor,
Sorry you are having trouble with the 501 head. Please give me a call at 201-818-9500 ext. 272. If I am not available please leave a message with a number I can reach you and I will get back to you tomorrow - Friday November 2nd.
Regards,
Wayne
Wayne Schulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 04:07 PM   #3
Major Player

What seems to be happening Victor? Does the thread run freely up until it is tight? I'm guessing there are no locking screws on the slider mount, so that's not the problem. Do you use the usual quick jerk to free the head?

Last edited by Trevor Dennis; November 2nd, 2012 at 03:34 AM. Reason: Whoops! I had what I meant about locking screws ass about face. :-(
Trevor Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 09:49 PM   #4
Major Player

it just keep spinning and doesn't come off. I'll give you a call tomorrow Wayne
Old November 2nd, 2012, 07:19 AM   #5
Trustee

Can't you lock the pan lever to keep it from spinning?
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2012, 08:44 AM   #6
Trustee

I suppose Manfrotto could argue that the head isn't supposed to be continually attached and removed from tripods, sliders etc. I'm not sure I understand the problem (I'm a visual thinker and need pictures).

Does it keep spinning, or is it stuck? If it's spinning, is the screw thread spinning or is the tripod head spinning (as if it is panning)?
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2012, 01:27 PM   #7
Major Player

okay, maybe I'm actually not doing it right. Some one told me that I need to unscrew the screws on the bottom and then put the pan brake on. I thought the pan brake was the actual device that help take the head off. But now I tighten the pan brake too much and it fell off. Now I have no idea what to do...
Old November 2nd, 2012, 02:29 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I just got off my 501HDV by disengaging the counterbalance and pointing the head (if it had a camera on it) straight down. Twist it by latching onto the sides with the pan friction knob exposed.

I can see your frustration. I had to increase my pan friction and do that to get it off.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2012, 03:42 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Victor, it sounds like you just didn't know how to release the head from the mounting screw. You MUST loosen the set screws underneath the head and tighten the pan lock-then simply give the pan handle a good whack in a counter-clockwise direction. that'll loosen it up enough to be able to unscrew the head.
However since you've already appearently done that, let's work on fixing the pan brake. If it's just the thumb lever that locks the brake, then you need a small allan head wrench (3 or 4mm-I don't remember which) unscrew the set screw that holds the lever in place, put the lever back in it's place and retighten the screw. If's it's more than that post a couple of pictures to show the damage and we'll see what we can to to help you fix it.
Old November 2nd, 2012, 04:43 PM   #10
Major Player

Did somebody want pictures?

Photomart Cine-Video | Manfrotto 501HDV Tripod Head Parts

BTW clicking all the way through to that image does not let you see it at full res. I right clicked the Google images thumb, copied and pasted into Photoshop which loads it 1700x2200 pixels

Google Image Result for http://www.photomartusa.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/501hdv.jpg

I suspect people have been shy about joining in because they don't want to suggest the obvious. Don mentioned losening the locking set screws, but Victor has also had problems removing the head from his slider, and my slider does not have locking set-screws.

So like Don said, it sounds like the pan break, but there again,, it is just too obvious and surely Victor would know if his pan break is not working.
Old November 2nd, 2012, 09:01 PM   #11
Inner Circle

I want to see pics of what Victors pan break lever/mechanism looks like. It sounds like it might be broken or in some disrepair right now so with some pics we might be able to figure out the proper fix for it. I have a 501hdv sitting on top of one of my tripods and had a 501 that I used for many years so I'm kinda familiar with it.
Old November 2nd, 2012, 11:20 PM   #12
Major Player

not that bad right?
Attached Thumbnails
Really, really pissed at manfrotto 501-img_6829.jpg  
Old November 3rd, 2012, 05:17 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Wow...While the 501 series of heads may not be the top of the heap for fluidity, they are pretty tough. You have seemed to bring this one to it's limits and beyond. No offense meant but what did you tighten it down with? A small sledge hammer? From now on, not quite so much force on the parts OK!? Now on to the fix.

Do you have all the parts? The lever, the screw and anything else that may have popped? If yes then simply re-assemble. If no, tell me what parts you're missing or are broken.
Old November 20th, 2012, 12:52 AM   #14
Major Player

okay, so now Manfrotto have sent me the replacement part and I have reassemble everything. However, the head still would not come off. I even unscrew the screws on the bottom and it still would not come off. I'm starting to be really pissed again...
Old November 20th, 2012, 02:09 AM   #15
Major Player

OK I have just looked through the thread again, and you said the head is spinning but not undoing. Have you said what tripod you are using? The set screws that lock the head to the tripod are part of the tripod legs or the levelling bowl, and not part of the 501 head.

If you are using a 75mm levelling bowl, then you may need to remove it from the legs to get to the set screws, (I can't remember). You can see the screws in this drawing:

http://mediacdn.shopatron.com/media/...pdf?1272346469

They are accessible via the cut outs under the half ball. I'm guess that having loosened the set screws you'd need to put the half ball back on the legs to give yourself something to twist against.

The trick is a sharp twist so that you use inertia to unscrew the head from the legs/half ball. I generally find that you can do it with the legs in one hand and head in the other, but you might need to give the pan bar a sharp push with the heel of your hand.

Apologies if this is an egg sucking lesson, but your situation sounds kind of desperate.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads