501hdv at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old December 6th, 2012, 06:54 PM   #1
Major Player

501hdv

Hi All,

To get my DSLR to fit securely onto my 501 I need to tighten the QR Knob so its actually touching the camera almost vertical. The issue here is trying to release it as once you push it up as high as possible its almost impossible to loosen it. Does anybody have any ideas to fix this?
Tariq Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2012, 08:57 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: 501hdv

Hi, Tariq.....................

All of the Manfrotto QR lock knobs I've seen have the lock lever mounted on a hexagonal nut machined onto the end of the shaft, meaning that the lever can be adjusted one way or the other (in relation to the lock position) in increments of 60 degrees.

If the 501HDV has one of the "easy adjust" levers (and many Manfrotto's do), you simply pull the knob off the nut against the spring tension holding it and adjust, no tools required, though the shaft needs to be locked first else it will revolve as well.

If it doesn't have an "easy adjust" lever, you'll need to remove the screw holding it on, pull the knob off the nut and repostion as required, then refit the screw. You will need good quality posidrive or Allen tools to loosen the screw as all the ones I've played with have been on REAL TIGHT.

You should be able to adjust the lever to barely rise above the head plate at full lock, if at all.

CS

Last edited by Chris Soucy; December 6th, 2012 at 11:51 PM.
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2012, 04:19 AM   #3
Major Player

I did have a look at that option however on the 501 there is a small extruding section just above the knob which means I can't change the starting position to where I need it to be. To be able to tighten it correctly the knob needs to turn at least 220degrees which means it needs to start vertically reaching it's max when it's horizontal.

http://s378202324.onlinehome.us/misc.../501-HDV-5.jpg top right hand corner.

As you see in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS0bOR9ETL4 at 1:05 the starting position cant go any higher because of the extruding section and its fully tight when its vertical. My DSLR or slider stop me from taking the knob that high.
Old December 7th, 2012, 08:06 AM   #4
Inner Circle

To adjust the position on the 501 HDV thumb lock lever for the QR plate you need Somewhere in the area of a 3 to 5mm allen head wrench. I can't remember exactly which size but once you set the plate on the head turn the lever to tighten the lock. Take the allen head loosen the set srew, don't go all the way out as there is a small spring in the recess of the lever, just loosen enough to be able to pull the lever out towards you turn the lever in whatever position you need to be able to clear the obstacle you're hitting tighten the set screw, tight but don't gorilla it or you could break something, and you're done. I'll guess you probably want to turn the lever back a bit in the counter-clockwise direction.
Old December 7th, 2012, 03:19 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tariq Peter View Post
Now that's an interesting piece of kit. German engineering at its best :-)
Old December 7th, 2012, 07:18 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
Hi, Tariq.....................

All of the Manfrotto QR lock knobs I've seen have the lock lever mounted on a hexagonal nut machined onto the end of the shaft, meaning that the lever can be adjusted one way or the other (in relation to the lock position) in increments of 60 degrees.

If the 501HDV has one of the "easy adjust" levers (and many Manfrotto's do), you simply pull the knob off the nut against the spring tension holding it and adjust, no tools required, though the shaft needs to be locked first else it will revolve as well.

If it doesn't have an "easy adjust" lever, you'll need to remove the screw holding it on, pull the knob off the nut and repostion as required, then refit the screw. You will need good quality posidrive or Allen tools to loosen the screw as all the ones I've played with have been on REAL TIGHT.

You should be able to adjust the lever to barely rise above the head plate at full lock, if at all.

CS
Finally figured it out THANK YOU!
Old December 7th, 2012, 11:02 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Whew!..................

For a while there I was considering the horrible possibility I could actually be wrong! Shock, horror (though not totally unheard of).

I take it that, as it was my post quoted, it means you had an "easy adjust" on the 501HDV.

As soon as I saw Don mention "spring", the jig was up, why put a spring under a lever if it isn't "easy adjust"?

Yeah, the concept seems to be a hard one to get across, in fact it's existed for at least 15 years, believe it or not.

Funny old thing, progress, wish some of the other manufacturers would take it up, it's a great idea for certain situations, especially QR clamp knobs and hippy cameras.

Glad you solved the problem.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads