Recommend me a Monopod & Tripod... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 16th, 2013, 03:08 PM   #1
Trustee

Recommend me a Monopod & Tripod...

Im looking to spend as little as possible but I have a total budget of £250-300 for both and I want something that will last me for a very very long time. It will be used with my Sony EA50.

I am after a monopod that is VERY sturdy, and has retractable tripod style legs.

And I am after a tripod, that can handle a 23" Glider (standard length) without any movements, shakes, or bending.

Thanks in advance ...
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2013, 03:37 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Recommend me a Monopod & Tripod...

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the price range you are looking at isn't going to get you the sticks you need to hold a 2' slider with something that weighs 3lbs on the end. That will translate to more like a +20lb load on the head itself. You may be able to find something well used near that price range.

I know its hard to justify paying so much for a tripod but it is a purchase that has a much longer lifespan than the camera that sits upon it. If you can save up a bit more and spend at least £600 your chances of getting something that will last (and work well) greatly improves.
Old January 16th, 2013, 03:59 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I agree. James everyone wants to spend as little as possible, but there are some things we all can't scrimp on and a video tripod is one of them.

With your budget, I'd do some research here and on the web and put it all into the best tripod you can find. Try and find one locally, so you can try it out. Get the monopod later.

Camera bodies come and go but a good tripod will last a lifetime.

Cheers.
Old January 16th, 2013, 10:45 PM   #4
Inner Circle

For the monopod, the usual suggestion is the Bogen 561 - probably a good bet, the 560 is a little light for a larger camera, but it'll eat a good part of your budget.

Particularly if you need supports that will get you enough height to shoot over heads, won't be "cheap" if they are quality.

IF you can tolerate or replace the head, Sunpak/Quantaray makes some decent legs, sturdier than the average "consumer" wobble-fests... and they are fairly cheap for what you get, just don't expect to be happy with the heads...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 05:47 AM   #5
Trustee

Thanks for the response guys.

I'll have a look in to those recommended models - thanks.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 02:24 PM   #6
Inner Circle

James,

When shopping for a monopod, I initially also wanted one with feet. After handling 20+ monopods at a local camera store, I decided to get the Slik Pro Pod 600.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/150609-REG/Slik_615_600_Pro_Pod_600.html
Here's the story...

The pods with feet were relatively expensive, heavy, and less sturdy than I preferred. What's worse, they were too long. I required something that would fit in carry-on luggage. It's great to be able to throw a monopod into the rollaway, grab your camera bag, and board an airplane without checking oversized luggage.

I had a decent budget, so I looked at a number of carbon fiber sticks. Unfortunately, they all seemed rickety due to the round sections that aren't machined to fit precisely. The inter-stage connectors just weren't robust. The Slik aluminum tubes, on the other hand, are non-round and have very nice joints. It's as solid as any I tried.

There was a single carbon fiber pod in the store that was as solid as the Slick, and it cost about $300. The weight difference between the two was insignificant. (Many of the shaky-pods - carbon and aluminum - were heavier than the Slik.)

FWIW, there is no way I would have bought the Slik had I just shopped on the Internet. (I would have expected it to be too cheap - but quality and price don't necessarily track with monopods.) If you get a chance, try them in person. If that's not possible, look at reviews and personal recommendations.

I left the store 100% confident that I bought the best available monopod for my needs. It was the only one left, so I got the floor model for $50. Given my budget of $200+, I couldn't have been happier with such a great bargain! (Though my ego still kinda wants that $300 carbon one. ;)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads