Best Under $400 Or So at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 1st, 2013, 07:41 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Best Under $400 Or So

I'm looking for a tripod system with adjustable pan and tilt drag. Can you recommend one, or two, or three?
Adam Palomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2013, 09:40 PM   #2
Tourist

Re: Best Under $400 Or So

I come from the still world, so I started with a Manfrotto 055X tripod (about $140 at B&H), and later added a Manfrotto 502HD head ($170 at B&H). I'm very happy with the combo. B&H has a kit, sticks and head and carrying case, for $330. I found the head used, but barely, on eBay for a bit less.

Disclaimer: I don't work for B&H or Manfrotto!
Ed Lefkowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2013, 10:43 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada

It would help to know what you plan to mount on said tripod and how you intend to use it. Mostly locked off, attaching slider, etc.
Old March 1st, 2013, 11:09 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I'm going to use the tripod with a camcorder, a Canon HF-G10 to be precise (It's the same as the XA10).

Weight wise, since I'm going to be attaching an XLR adapter and a portable audio recorder, the weight will most likely add up to about 4 lbs.

I would like to be able to do a lot of pans and some tilts.

I had a Manfrotto 501 head until a couple of years ago. It was OK, but I'd like to have something that is less bulky, but provides more precise control.
Old March 5th, 2013, 04:22 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Has anyone had any experience with Dracast tripods? They appear to be well-built, but reviews are scant online.
Old March 15th, 2013, 04:04 AM   #6
New Boot

I recently picked up a Manfrotto flat base 502HD head to go on my 3221WN sticks, and am pretty happy with this compromise setup. Leveling the thing without a proper ball blows, but they have an adapter that can be added to the head in the future when I get a proper set of video sticks.

The head itself is insanely large, but pans and tilts are decent enough for a head that's well under $200.
Joe Garrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2013, 12:49 PM   #7
Major Player

Have you looked at the fancier 270a I think it will be right up your street and price.
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads