Best Tripod for Around $100... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old September 21st, 2005, 11:45 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Best Tripod for Around $100...

I know this has been discussed in great detail already, but I am seeking fresher, more up-to-date suggestions here. Well, I got my A1U (finally) and now I am in dire need of a tripod. I know I should probably go for a monopod at this point in the game, but I have already gotten a group of experienced people ready to work on some movies here on campus and they recommended our own tripod so that we don't have to rely on the school's. My budget for a tripod is around $100. What do you guys think would be the best value for that much? I have done some researching and the Sunkpak 9001UT seems to be pretty popular (the price is lovely). What do you guys recommend? I would rather spend $100 or a little more on something that will serve me better.

Oh, I almost forgot something really important in my decision: size and weight. I want something really light and convenient.

Thanks in advance guys. Experiences and opinions are essential.
Edit/Delete Message
Alexander Karol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2005, 09:39 PM   #2
Major Player

That's easy. It's the Sony RM-870 tripod with lanc controller. It's $121.99 at B&H, and people that have it really like it. The lanc controller will give you a zoom closer to 25 seconds as well.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...ctSKU=VCT870RM

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=179980&is=REG
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2005, 07:58 PM   #3
Tourist

Im gonna bump this because im kind of in the need for a sturdy lightweight beater for around a 100$ that really will serve no other function that to hold the camera still in 1 place (gs-250 w/ rode videomic) for basic sound recording (i try to make the most out of my limited resources).

Does anyone have any other suggestions besides this sony one? The handle on that thing is just too much i need something more basic than that, but i dont like wasting my money on an absolute piece of crap.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=225845&is=REG

Anyone have experience with these? Looks like itll do what i need it to do but i want some affirmation that its not a complete piece of crap thats gonna break itself in 6 months.

BTW ill spend max 120$ if its worlds better than something thats like 60$ (i need it by the friday after this fri and thats what i can afford)
Joel Pritchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2005, 09:43 PM   #4
Regular Crew

i got the Vanguard VT-558 from the recommendations over at camcorderinfo to use with my gl2. i've had it for 6 months, and it's a good sturdy tripod with fluid head for $65. haven't had experience with too many tripods but it beats the wal-mart/best buy ones for the same price.

http://froogle.google.com/froogle_cl...ogle&scoring=p

anybody have experience with 2dreammaker's products? or know the quality or brand of their products? i could buy all the film crews needs for under $300... :P
Neil Camero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2005, 04:06 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I have the Sony 870 tripod and like it very much for interior work, It is light weight and easy to move around. For outdoor video I don't think it is heavy enough. What I like about it is, the controls are on the handle. but is limited to camcorders that have lanc control.

Bob Trimmer

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads