Vinten repair in Canada at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 29th, 2013, 02:46 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Vinten repair in Canada

I have an older Vinten tripod (single-stage/aluminum) with a broken Pozi-Loc clamp.
Does anyone know where I could get it fixed in Canada? Prefer not to send to USA. Sent email to Vinten but still waiting for reply.
Keith Dobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2013, 06:53 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Vinten repair in Canada

Hi, Keith............

Vinten gear is designed for field repair, so if parts for your unit are still available, Vinten should send the requisite bits and you can fix it yourself.

First you need to find the maintenance manual, if available, which means having the serial number of your sticks.

You need to go to the Vinten site and set up an account (unless you already have one), part of which involves having at least one valid serial number.

Once your account is set up, log in with your password and navigate to the "Downloads" section, click on "Maintenance Manuals" and see if you can find one that relates to your sticks.

If you find the right one, download it (you can't download manuals without a Vinten account) and check what part numbers you require.

That done, fire a mail to Andrew.Butler@Vitec.com - he's the new Product Manager in the UK. Tell him what parts are required and he'll sort them for you if available.

They should turn up in pretty short order.

At least, that's how it's SUPPOSED to work!

If, by "older" you in fact mean "antique" (there's a lot of it out there!), don't hold your breath, they don't keep parts for ever on discontinued products.

CS

PS: To find the serial number on Vinten sticks:-

1. Set the tripod up at minimum height, legs not extended.

2. Remove head and clamp knob, detach all three spreader arms from legs.

3. Invert the tripod so that it's standing on the receiver.

4. Splay the legs till they're flat with the floor.

5. The serial number should be on a label on the receiver underside or closely adjacent.

6. If, for any reason, the serial number can't be found, you can register a new account using the serial number of the head instead.

7. Note that if the sticks are actually Pro Touch and not PoziLocs, they're a) well past their use by date with Vinten and b) Not even Vinten sticks but Manfrotto 520's, parts may be available from Manfrotto, but don't bet on it as they're well superseded there as well.

Last edited by Chris Soucy; March 29th, 2013 at 08:25 PM. Reason: +
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2013, 03:11 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Chris
Thanks for the great info, that's extremely helpful!
I located the serial number, created an account, and downloaded the maintenance document. Hope to be able to order a few parts and do the repair myself. I'll report back on how things went, as no doubt other people will be interested in this as well.

Keith
Keith Dobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2013, 01:58 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Keith, if you have any issues with the repair, please let me know.

All the best
Old April 2nd, 2013, 02:14 AM   #5
Vinten

Hi Chris,

Thanks, somehow you are always quicker than me at forum replys, it must be the time zones ;o)

Hi Keith, if you have any problems let me know.

Regards,

Andrew
Andrew Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2013, 02:54 PM   #6
Inner Circle

That's because here, at the Center of the Known Universe, I'm always half a day ahead of you. It's time travel without the attendant Dr Who theme soundtrack.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads