Miller Solo DV at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old August 13th, 2013, 08:12 PM   #1
Major Player

Miller Solo DV

I'm thinking of getting the Miller Solo DV leg. They come in Carbon Fiber and Aluminum. I heard that CF is suppose to be much lighter but when I look on B&H, there is only 1 pound of difference in weight.

I'm leaning toward Aluminum because it cost $250 less than CF. What do you guys think?
Victor Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2013, 12:11 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Miller Solo DV

Go the carbon fibre if you can stretch the budget. Used both, prefer the carbon fibre, especially lifting the gear 20 times a day (I am an old shooter though, looking for the easiest way).
Phill Pendleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2013, 10:43 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill Pendleton View Post
Go the carbon fibre if you can stretch the budget. Used both, prefer the carbon fibre, especially lifting the gear 20 times a day (I am an old shooter though, looking for the easiest way).
But 5.5 pounds vs 6.6 pounds is not a huge difference in weight. Is it really worth $250 for 1 pound?
Old August 14th, 2013, 06:28 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Yes, I think so. Lifting tripod 20 times a day times 1 pound equals 20 pounds extra work in a day.
I guess it really depends on what you shoot. Run & Gun, weddings, News, Wildlife etc the less weight the better. If you need to carry the gear up a mountain or run for that next shot weight matters.
If you are stationery for much of a shoot (OB / locked off shot etc) it wouldn't really matter.
I also like the feel of carbon fibre, I've had my hand slip when re-po'ing for a shot on aluminium due to sweat. The carbon fibre is easier to grip.
If your budget won't stretch, the Aluminium will be fine. But I think its worth going that bit further to buy a better product that you will have for years.
I still have a set of miller wooden legs I used in the 80's in use on some shoots!
Phill Pendleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2013, 11:17 AM   #5
Major Player

Hi

Carbon fibre is lighter than aluminium, around 40% lighter. This makes it possible to use more material in a carbon fiber tripod. More material means, probably, more stability. I have not used any carbon fibre tripods myself but have been to photo shops and got my hands on some of them. The feeling is that carbon fibre is much more unsensitive to bending than aluminium which makes a carbon fiber tripod much more stable than an aluminium tripod, given the same weight.

I guess that a carbon fiber triod weighing 1 pound less than an aluminium dito, is more stable as it can have more material in the pipes.

Regards,

/Bo
Bo Sundvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2013, 11:48 AM   #6
Major Player

Mr. Sundvall...'you hit the nail on the head'! Aluminum is an excellent material and if you can't swing C-F, it's the way to go. However, Carbon-Fiber is structurally stronger and weighs less than Aluminum or steel of the same size, weight and thickness. Carbon-Fiber is electrically non-conductive and in cold environments (Arctic/Antarctic) the material will not conduct cold or heat. What's not to like? : ) But, these positive features come at a price ($$$).

I hate buying twice and it's been my experience if I 'purchase' my second choice, I always end up buying again. JMHO, YMMV.

Best regards,

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2013, 03:43 PM   #7
Trustee

Actually James, carbon fibre is very conductive electrically. To tell a little story, I was once walking with my camera & tripod over my shoulder when I came across a clearing where the high voltage overhead wires ran. As I started to walk underneath the wires the tripod started to literally buzz in my hands! It was very unnerving, so much so, that I turned around & left the area! It was a dry day, & not a lot of humidity either, & when you consider how high the wires are from the ground, I was very surprised at what happened. As far as the cold goes though, I have to agree, it is far superior than the aluminum.
Victor, i have the tripod you are looking at, & love it. If you can get the carbon fibre one, go for it. It is a very nice tripod.
Regards,
Bryce
Old August 15th, 2013, 09:57 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce Comer View Post
Victor, i have the tripod you are looking at, & love it. If you can get the carbon fibre one, go for it. It is a very nice tripod.
Regards,
Bryce
You have the Aluminum version? How long you had it for?
Old August 15th, 2013, 10:12 PM   #9
Trustee

Hi Victor,
I have the carbon fibre version. I have had it for about 7 years now & it has been worth every cent!
Regards,
Bryce

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads