A deeper question. "Ringing" fluid head - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old November 22nd, 2013, 05:39 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: A deeper question. "Ringing" fluid head

Hi Steve,
I am glad you have solved your problem.
However just to clarify things for me, in your thread of Nov 10th you were looking for a head with a flat base that you could use on a tripod with a center column. Are you using your new Sachtler on a center pole tripod?
Alastair Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2013, 05:46 PM   #17
Trustee

That's great news Steve. Give the foam a try on the pan handle, it certainly makes a difference!
Bryce
Old November 23rd, 2013, 03:01 PM   #18
Major Player

Allastair...the Sachtler FSB 8 has a 'flat bottom' along with a 3/8" threaded socket to attach any standard 'flat-based' photographic tripod (with a 3/8" stud). I supposed you could also 1/4" to 3/8" thread adapter if you needed to.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2013, 01:23 AM   #19
Major Player

Re "flat bottomed" tripod heads. I know people using DSLR lenses on video cameras who don't bother with bowl mount tripod heads, they level via the lens foot, rotating the lens (but not the cam) to level off. Need a guide line in the viewfinder though and not on for rigs using rods etc.

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2013, 05:34 AM   #20
Major Player

Hi James,

Thanks for your reply, my question for Steve was more out of curiosity than any thing practical. I would expect a weighty head to oscillate for a longer time after disturbance if it was mounted on a tripod with a column as compared to a well-matched ‘standard’ tripod. Basically I was wanting to know if Steve had changed tripod style as well as the head.
Alastair Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2013, 05:44 AM   #21
Inner Circle

There is a reason people spend lots of money on legs and heads. If you do up the pan and tilt locks on a cheap rig and then touch the pan bar, you see the moment your fingers touch. With the locks off, the transition from rest to moving always give a jerk as the head starts moving. Once you invest in legs that have rotational stability - as in leg wind up which creates the spring back - the head can start moving much more cleanly as the friction is overcome. Long lenses, make this so much worse. With decent legs and heads the problem goes away. Cheap kit keeps your cameras off the ground, and keeps them level. Moving smoothly takes better engineering, and higher cost. Let's be honest - sticking some grease between two parallel faces does NOT constitute a fluid head. Always worth remembering that the very best studio heads, capable of supporting very heavy cameras and lenses historically have used, cams, bearings and mechanisms to provide stable movement - not fluid!
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2013, 05:44 PM   #22
Major Player

Alastair,

The 75 mm hemispherical base and handle screw onto a 3/8" stud. This stud, in turn screws into a 3/8" female connector which is set in a flat base on the head. The stud is held in place (rather tightly) by a single nut. With a little effort and a long-handled wrench, I removed the nut, no damage done. Then the stud simply screws out, leaving the 3/8" female connector for the similar stud on the tripod to screw in. It works perfectly.
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2013, 07:32 PM   #23
Major Player

Hi Steve,

i.e. a new head on the old tripod?
Alastair Traill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads