DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Tripod Sticks & Heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/)
-   -   Good Lightweight Tripod System (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/520632-good-lightweight-tripod-system.html)

Richard D. George January 18th, 2014 12:47 AM

Re: Good Lightweight Tripod System

A compromise perhaps. However, I have not experienced wind-up or resulting back lash with Gitzo Series 3 legs and Sachtler FSB fluid heads. Cameras are Canon XA20, XF100, 5D Mark III, and 7D.

Mark Watson January 18th, 2014 03:33 AM

I can believe that. I didn't notice any wind up until I had my XL-H1A with Canon EF Adapter XL, 1.4x extender and a 100-400mm zoom lens mounted up on it. The 35mm equivalent of that combination is something over 3,000mm. Just barely touching the camera can cause lots of jiggling of the image. I also use the Gitzo/Sachtler with the XF305, 7D and HV30 and only notice any wind up if I have the drag set real high.

Mark

Bryce Comer January 18th, 2014 05:02 AM

Mark, thank you so much for picking up that mistake, they are indeed series 5 legs!
I just looked up the order from B&H. These are the ones: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/846219-REG/Gitzo_GT5532S_GT5532S_6x_3_SEC_SYSTEMATIC.htmlSorry to you Michael, & anyone else that I may have mislead. I still stand by the legs though, they are rock solid.
As for the Miller CF legs, I still stand by those also. Are they a compromise? Of course they are. With long lens work, anything short of a block of concrete is going to be. The most important thing in my opinion is to go for the best gear you can afford, then learn to use it to the best of your ability. I think that regardless of what tripod system you use, learning to use it well will make a big difference to your shots.
Regards,
Bryce

Richard D. George January 21st, 2014 10:55 PM

True story:

In Denver today, I was walking down the 16th Street Mall (a prominent pedestrian mall) at lunch time, and I encountered a videographer shooting some of the interesting buildings in downtown Denver. When I got closer, I saw that he was using a Sachtler FSB6 on Gitzo carbon fiber legs (and obviously a 75mm bowl). His camera appeared to be a Canon C100 with a white telephoto lens ( probably a 70-200). I commented to him that I found his choice of fluid head and legs interesting. He said "I would not use anything else". I asked him if he encountered windup or resulting whiplash and he replied "No, not all".

Michael Warren January 22nd, 2014 12:05 AM

That's good news.

I've settled on the Miller Compass 12 head and Solo 75 legs
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/785054-REG/Miller_1870_Solo_DV_2_Stage_Carbon.html

And this QR adapter so I can use the same QR plate on my stabilizer.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/742493-REG/Miller_1213_Solopod_QR_Adaptor_Plate.html

My wife sees the surgeon again tomorrow to find out how it went. If the prognosis is good, I'll order them. If not, I'll wait until we know more. No point is pending $2K and having the tripod sit in it's box for months.

Shaun Roemich January 22nd, 2014 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Soucy (Post 1827683)

This is based on my experience with both cheap/ expensive heads and cheap/ expensive sticks.

1.Cheap sticks under cheap heads = crap

2.Cheap sticks under good heads = not much better, but better

3.Good sticks under cheap heads = better than 2.

4.Good sticks under good heads = bliss

CS

I don't often disagree with the good Mister Soucy but in MY own personal opinion, I'd switch the order of 2 & 3.

I'll take a superior head and lesser (but not total crap!) legs versus a mediocre head and great legs. But I do a fair bit of panning and tilting.

I once consulted and spec'ed a tripod system for a client who frankly didn't have quite enough money and the only way I could get them anything usable at their budget (this is prior to the Blue line coming out...) was a Sachtler head (can't remember if it was an FSB6 or 8) and Manfrotto legs.

The DOWNSIDE was the levelling ball handle on the head didn't allow the legs to fully close for transport.

But they had a VERY strict height and pricing requirement.

Shaun Roemich January 22nd, 2014 10:42 AM

Also, keep in mind when talking to other folks using equipment that they may not have had experience with better tripods.

I hang my head when I think of how I joined DVInfo over ten years ago by chiming in on the positive aspects of the Manfrotto 501 (pre HDV501) head and 525MV legs combo, which back then set me back more than $1400 CDN. Keep in mind I had used Sachtler Video 18 and 25 tripods, a bunch of Vinton and Miller but back then tripods were SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive...

Michael Warren January 23rd, 2014 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Warren (Post 1828771)
I've settled on the Miller Compass 12 head and Solo 75 legs
Miller Solo DV 2-Stage Carbon Fiber Tripod with Compass 12 1870

And this QR adapter so I can use the same QR plate on my stabilizer.
Miller Solopod QR Adaptor Plate 1213 B&H Photo Video

Ordered. They are being shipped straight from Miller in Sydney so I should see them late next week.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to my education in this matter. I'll report back as soon as I've had a chance to use it.

Ryan Jones January 24th, 2014 08:24 PM

Good choice. I've used the Aluminium version of these sticks extensively with the DS10 and they're rock solid. I'd buy a carbon set myself but I'm chasing something more compact for now.

Funnily enough the reason for more compact sticks is because I have the Vinten Vision Blue kit Chris keeps talking up, and purchased on his recommendation. They are brilliant, rock solid legs and the head is a delight, perfect for my NX5 and far better than the Miller setup, however I now have a Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera and they are too heavy to travel with regularly.

I think your Miller kit will be a good compromise for you, although personally I think you probably could have saved some money on the head.

Michael Warren January 24th, 2014 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Jones (Post 1829216)
I think your Miller kit will be a good compromise for you, although personally I think you probably could have saved some money on the head.

It may be that I'd be perfectly happy with the DS10 head, but the Compass 12 (or FSB4) will, I'm sure, be even better.

Chris Soucy February 19th, 2014 11:47 PM

Any update, Michael?

CS

Michael Warren February 20th, 2014 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Soucy (Post 1833021)
Any update, Michael?

No. Miller could not supply the head straight away and I was given the opportunity to cancel my order. In the mean time, my wife's knee is worse after the surgery, but she can't have knee replacement for about 12 months, so we won't be going on any trips for at least 14 months. I decided to take up the offer and cancelled the order. I'll reorder again just after her knee replacement surgery. The money can be put to better use in the mean time, starting with a $1000 knee brace so she can at least walk a bit.

Michael Warren November 7th, 2017 05:41 PM

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I thought I'd supply an update.

I have been through a personal hell for the last 3 years and have only just come out the other side. Time to get back to doing things I enjoy.

I was ready to purchase the Miller system (which has actually dropped in price slightly) but decided to see if anything new had come on the market in the meantime.

I discovered the Sachtler Flowtech 75 / Ace XL system. The legs look like they were made to my specifications and the head looks pretty good too.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1354195-REG/sachtler_1017_system_ace_xl_with.html/BI/2855/KBID/3801

So I've just ordered a system from an Australian supplier who has it in stock.

Also, new cameras have come along and I think I'll be getting a Panasonic AG-UX180.

Thanks to everyone who helped me through my tripod journey.

I'll make one more post once I've got the camera (probably a few weeks) and tried it all.

Michael Warren December 24th, 2017 10:58 PM

To wrap this up, after using the tripod for shooting some little Brown Honeyeasters every day for a couple of weeks I've finally got a feel for the system. The longest distance I've carried it so far with camera attached is about 5km. I found that an effort, but doable. Surprisingly, breaking the magnetic latches on the legs apart when retracted does cause me some pain, but not having the legs fly about is certainly a good thing. Extending the legs makes it much easier for me to open them.

Operationally, raising and lowering the legs is a wonderful experience. The head I'm less impressed with, but it does do a good job. I'm used to working with a much firmer head so even on the highest drag setting I find it a bit weak. However, I am learning to get smooth pans and tilts from it at the full zoom of my UX180 (equiv. 500mm).

The whole system feels less rugged that my old completely metal Manfrotto, so I'm not sure how long it will last.

Here's my review of the camera and some footage of the Honeyeaters shot with the camera and tripod:

Panasonic AG-UX180 Review - mike-warren.net

David Barnett March 15th, 2018 04:09 PM

I had a bad ending to 2017 wedding season where both tripods started to go. Leg locks began slipping. The good tripod was about 7 years old, the other was cheaper & prolly 3-4 admittedly I wish that one lasted longer.

Starting over, I picked up 2 new tripods I feel I got good value from:
E-Image EG04AS 2-Stage Aluminum Tripod System with GH04 Dual-Base Fluid Head - A new item altogether, the tripod a step down is well reviewed so I have high hopes for this one. New item, backordered, I'll let you know when I rec'v https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...2855/KBID/3801

Magnus VT 4000 - Seems like a good backup. Reliable, oft reviewed & tried & tested. I did receive it, definitely seems sturdy. The fluid head isn't bad, but probably not what one wants for their main cameras tripod. Again, a solid backup (for my tastes). https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...2855/KBID/3801