DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Tripod Sticks & Heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/)
-   -   Good Lightweight Tripod System (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/520632-good-lightweight-tripod-system.html)

Michael Warren December 15th, 2013 05:30 PM

Good Lightweight Tripod System

I'm looking for a reasonable tripod system that can carry about 4kg and is as light as possible for carrying though rough terrain. I'd prefer it didn't weigh more than about 4kg, if that's possible.

Due to where I live, I'm unable to try anything out, so I need to work this out by published specs and user opinions.

For the last 20 years or so I've been using a set of Manfrotto 055 legs and 128LP head. This is not a very nice system to use, but I've become reasonably proficient with it, and it only weighs 3.5kg including the bubble level I added. This system requires a lot of stamina to compensate for the terrible backlash it has, and I'm not getting any younger.

Cost is not as much an issue as weight. All the tripods that typically get recommended are 6kg+

It must have a ball leveler, and must not have a floor spreader as I'm always shooting on uneven ground.

Can anyone suggest a model for me to look at?

Michael Warren December 15th, 2013 07:21 PM

Re: Good Lightweight Tripod System

I forgot to mention that something I'd really like is to have a quick release plate that's able to be used with a separate quick release system, that can be mounted on a stabilizer, so it's quick to swap between stabilizer and tripod. Manfrotto seem to have some options here, but perhaps there is some degree of inter-brand compatibility I'm not aware of.

Barbara Jaumann December 16th, 2013 02:56 AM

Hi,

Please take a look at our Sachtler Ace L system, it only has a weight of 3.9 kg.

Best regards

Barbara

Michael Warren December 16th, 2013 06:25 AM

Thanks for the reply, Barbara. I had seen that but was weary of it as it doesn't get very good reviews at B&H, especially when compared to other Sachtler systems, which all get top reviews.

Also, do you make a stand-alone quick release bracket that takes the same plate? If not, is your QR plate compatible with brackets made by any other companies?

Is this something that's covered by your in-home trial?

James Kuhn December 16th, 2013 12:53 PM

Michael Warren...Caveat: I don't own, nor have I operated the Sachtler Ace System. However, it seems that customers have given the 'Ace System' a very high (5 Stars) customer rating (see Link below).

Sachtler System Ace L TT 75/2 CF Carbon Fiber Tripod 1013 B&H

This is a multiple-extension, 'telescopic' style tripod, without the need for a mid-level spreader, similar to a 'stills camera' tripod. Based upon your current kit, this is not an issue for you.

The Sachtler Ace tripod reminds me of my old C-F Gitzo G1235 Mk. 2 tripod. A very sturdy set of sticks I used for years with a 2-1/4" Medium Format camera. I still use this tripod with an 75mm Bowl Adapter 75mm bowl for locked down cameras, lights, sliders, Mics, etc..

I don't know if the 'Ace" fluid head uses the traditional Dovetail Plate, i.e., slide-in from the rear style of camera attachment? I've been spoiled by the Sachtler FSB 8 Dovetail Plate 'side-load' attachment feature, to me, the 'side-load' feature is a dealbreaker. That's just me.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

J.

Michael Warren December 16th, 2013 03:19 PM

Thanks for the reply, James.

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Kuhn (Post 1824603)
This is a multiple-extension, 'telescopic' style tripod, without the need for a mid-level spreader, similar to a 'stills camera' tripod. Based upon your current kit, this is not an issue for you.

I'd much prefer normal video legs with a mid spreader. My current tripod has too much rotational flex.

Quote:

I don't know if the 'Ace" fluid head uses the traditional Dovetail Plate, i.e., slide-in from the rear style of camera attachment? I've been spoiled by the Sachtler FSB 8 Dovetail Plate 'side-load' attachment feature, to me, the 'side-load' feature is a dealbreaker. That's just me.
I'd prefer that too, but I have enough to deal with trying to find something that's good and light.

Chris Soucy December 16th, 2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

.....perhaps there is some degree of inter-brand compatibility I'm not aware of.

You're right, there is.

If the ACE head uses the same slide QR plate as supplied for the FSB (4, 6, 8 etc) series heads, then there is (good, not exact) compatibility between that plate and the Manfrotto 577 adapter, which uses a standard 501P plate.

The Manfrotto 501P fits the Sachtler FSB heads and vice versa, the only difference is that the Sachtler and Manfrotto plates have different stop lug placements, so forward/ rearward locking points may not be identical.

CS

PS: I only spotted this after I'd lodged the above:

Quote:

.........Is this something that's covered by your in-home trial?

I'd suggest you trial this (Sachtler Ace) system before deciding. Just in case Barbara doesn't spot the query, you can mail her at Barbara.Jaumann@VitecGroup.com.

Les Wilson December 16th, 2013 03:49 PM

Fundamentally, there's a relationship between total weight and the bounceback issue you want to address. A carbon fiber set of legs may help as it's not so much lighter, but stiffer per kg of weight. Still, 4kg is awfully light for a video tripod. Maybe the backpack mounting you are using is worth a look to see it there's a design that's more ergonomic. I empathize on the age issue.

Search here on DVinfo with the terms "Travel Tripod" and you'll find some recommendations. I will speak to units I have owned and used in the field. Both were based on the Manfrotto 701hdv head. It's a rear loading unit (PIA) but I put up with it for the size and weight when traveling.

The lightest, most wiggly and smallest legs were the Manfrotto MA190CXPRO4. I gave those legs away to a photographer friend. My preferred travel legs are the Sachtler DA-75/2D legs. I have aluminum but I think there's a CF model. I found these to be the smallest collapsing bowl legs around and they fit in a most checked bags without going diagonal.

Here's a handy spec sheet: B&H Photo - Sachtler Tripod Comparison Chart

Michael Warren December 16th, 2013 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Soucy (Post 1824626)
The Manfrotto 501P fits the Sachtler FSB heads and vice versa, the only difference is that the Sachtler and Manfrotto plates have different stop lug placements, so forward/ rearward locking points may not be identical.

Excellent, thanks Chris.

Quote:

I'd suggest you trial this (Sachtler Ace) system before deciding. Just in case Barbara doesn't spot the query, you can mail her at Barbara.Jaumann@VitecGroup.com.
I will do, but only after I'm sure this is a strong possibility. I don't want to risk abusing the system.

Michael Warren December 16th, 2013 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Wilson (Post 1824630)
Fundamentally, there's a relationship between total weight and the bounceback issue you want to address.

Hence why I have suffered for so long. Every time I've tried to find something better it's ended up with me thinking I'd be unhappy with anything.

Quote:

Maybe the backpack mounting you are using is worth a look to see it there's a design that's more ergonomic. I empathize on the age issue.
I often carry the tripod over my shoulder with camera attached for short distances. Wildlife doesn't wait around for me to set up. The 3.5kg of the current one is annoying enough. I really want to avoid going much heavier if at all possible.

Quote:

Search here on DVinfo with the terms "Travel Tripod" and you'll find some recommendations.
Will do. Thanks for your reply.

Chris Soucy December 16th, 2013 05:04 PM

Quote:

I will do, but only after I'm sure this is a strong possibility. I don't want to risk abusing the system.

The reason I suggested you test it is to establish some sort of benchmark, from one of the few manufacturers which offers the freebie trial thing.

I/ we don't know your pain threshold with tripod/ head eccentricities (windup etc), and if the ACE is out of the running after the trial, well, it's back to the drawing board.

That's the whole point of the free trial.

However, as wildlife more or less equates to long lenses (400 - 600mm/ 35mm equivalent) it is possible there is nothing in the under 4kg range that will do what you want.

Give us an indication of (max) lens size and typical terrain you shoot over, might speed things up a bit.

CS

Michael Warren December 16th, 2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Soucy (Post 1824643)
However, as wildlife more or less equates to long lenses (400 - 600mm/ 35mm equivalent) it is possible there is nothing in the under 4kg range that will do what you want.

That's certainly the case, but I don't have any choice. The heavier it is the less time I'll be able to spend in the rainforest. It's all a very big compromise.

But ultimately, if it's about the same weight as my current setup and works better then I should be reasonably happy. Where I won't be happy is if I spend $2000 and end up with something that's 1% better.

Quote:

Give us an indication of (max) lens size and typical terrain you shoot over, might speed things up a bit.
It's the worst possible situation. Small animals and birds over long distances with a focal length of 600mm (equiv). The technique I use is to keep constant pressure on the head and regulate my breathing. This is really difficult to keep up for long periods.

I can do this with the current system, but will often lose tracking shots as I run out of stamina, basically putting effort into forcing the system to go where I need it.

But this is just a hobby for me, so ultimately I make do with the shots I get.

Chris Soucy December 16th, 2013 06:03 PM

Hmm.

Given the system you're shooting at the moment, the ACE should be better by a country mile, but.........whether that is going to be enough with 600 mm, is, ah, a good question.

Only one way to find out.

CS

Chris Soucy December 17th, 2013 06:16 PM

On reflection, after re - reading all your posts, I have an additional suggestion.

It seems very apparent that the reason your current rig is so tiring to use is its complete unsuitability for the job you're asking it to do.

True, it's light, but that is being more than compensated for by it's total inability to do the job required, thus causing massive expenditure of effort to somehow square the circle.

Much as I am of the opinion that the ACE will be a considerable improvement on what you have currently, I cannot say I believe it will adequately deal with that 600 mm lens.

As such, whilst it will reduce the work load to some extent, having a rig designed to work effortlessly with the camera/ lens combo you have would reduce the "in use" effort to zero.

Such a rig will undoubtedly be more than you want to carry, however, if it removes ALL the work of using it, you come out a long way ahead.

Sooo, fire a mail to Andrew at Andrew.Butler@VitecGroup.com and ask him for a test run of the Vision Blue 3 rig (I don't think the standard Vb will have the grunt for it).

[I know Barbara suggested the ACE purely on the weight grounds you put such stress on, however, I do not believe she would recommend such a unit for a rig sporting 600 mm glass, and if you find the ACE lacking there's no reason not to test an alternative Sachtler support at her suggestion if you so wish.]

However, if you test drive the Vb 3 you will have a support much more tailored to your requirements, as I understand them, and can compare Vintens "continuous everything" against Sachtlers "stepped everything" approach.

It will also allow you to figure out if the trade off between a heavier rig is worth the effortless use once it's planted.

I can assure you you will not believe how simple a properly specified support rig makes life.

Get Andrew to throw in a bluebridge small camera adapter as well, just for the heck of it.

CS

PS: I strongly suggest you DO NOT carry your support with the camera attached and over your shoulder. Always dismount the camera and carry the support head down using its carry strap (make sure you order one!) on one shoulder and the camera in the other hand to balance the weight.

Michael Warren December 17th, 2013 06:46 PM

That's a great post, thanks Chris.

I have shot professionally over 30 years ago and do remember what good tripods and heads were like to use, but I also remember the weight. :)

Your post has given me something to think about. I've tried to find something better from time to time and keep getting stuck with my conflicting requirements.

It's a bit difficult to explain my complete situation in a few words, but I'll expand on it a bit here.

I have poly arthritis, which makes it very difficult to do what I love doing; photographing and filming wildlife.

Even my current tripod has often given me problems in the rainforest when I need to climb up an embankment. If I strap it to my backpack it hooks on to the vegetation. If I carry it, I don't have the strength to pull myself up with one hand. This means wedging the tripod into trees and fumbling around a lot.

And I know from other objects that lifting 6kg with one hand is quite painful.

Now, whether doubling or tripling the weight would be completely out of the question, I don't know until I try it. That's something I'd be willing to risk for a few hundred dollars, but not for 1-2K.

So I'm still left with the same quandary.

Chris Soucy December 17th, 2013 07:19 PM

If it wasn't for the rain forest thing, I'd suggest you build/ buy a kind of wheeled golf trolley gizmo so you wouldn't have to carry all that stuff, just pull.

Can't see that working too well up country.

There's always that good 'ol, exceedingly non PC option, ........native bearers!

CS

Bryce Comer December 17th, 2013 07:55 PM

Hi Michael,
Exactly what camera & focal length, or field of view are we talking about here? If it is somewhere in the range of 400-600mm in 35mm terms, then I think there are lots of options. All the talk about tripods having too much wind up without a mid level spreader is in my opinion not helpful talk if you are using the tripod in the rainforest. I would like to suggest thinking firstly about a good grounding. By that I mean, a tripod with good long spiked feet. I have a Gitzo CF tripod that has fantastic long spikes that really anchor the legs when panning. If I compare that with my Miller CF legs, which are also fantastic legs, but have a quite small spike in comparison, they simply bite that much better into soft ground, holding the tripod very steady. The Libec tripod I have with a mid level spreader is virtually useless in this scenario as the spikes are also short, but of course, on the uneven ground one is likely to encounter in the rainforest, simply can't compete for versatility in how it can be set up.
The Miller has neoprene on the top section of all 3 legs, making hiking with it over a shoulder so much more comfortable than a tripod without. I have put neoprene leg camo covers on my Gitzo & it too is really quite comfortable to walk with on the shoulder. I agree with Chris that hiking with the camera attached to the tripod is not a good idea, but understand that without things set up ready to go, you loose precious seconds & often loose the shot.
It sounds like from your time with the setup you have, you have developed good technique, something that is crucial using long focal length lenses. That will stand you in good stead for getting good shots using long lenses on any tripod/head combination you end up going with.
Please let us know what camera you are using, & if you are using an interchangeable lens camera, what lenses you are using with it. With that information, i'm sure there will be others here that have experience with a similar setup & will be able to give you much better advise on a system that will suit your needs.
Hope this helps,
Regards,
Bryce

Michael Warren December 17th, 2013 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryce Comer (Post 1824775)
Exactly what camera & focal length, or field of view are we talking about here?

Currently, I'm using a modified consumer camera (21x lens), but that will be changing as soon as someone comes out with a camera that I like for under $10K. At the moment, the upcoming AJ-PX270 looks very promising.

Off topic: I'd really like a large sensor camera, but I'd have to sell my house to get a lens I'd be happy with.

600mm is the minimum I need. Often even that's too far away. Typically, I shoot what I can as soon as I spot the animal, and then move gradually closer with long stops to shoot some more. Usually, the animal has decided I'm too close long before I've got as close as I'd like. So, more like 1000mm (35mm equiv) would be nice. It's all a compromise. The challenge is a lot of the attraction for me.

Quote:

I have a Gitzo CF tripod that has fantastic long spikes that really anchor the legs when panning. If I compare that with my Miller CF legs, which are also fantastic legs, but have a quite small spike in comparison, they simply bite that much better into soft ground, holding the tripod very steady.
Good spiked feet are certainly something my new tripod must have, but the ground is usually so soft in the rainforest that I can often bury the small round feet of my current tripod a couple of inches in.

My wife has a set of Manfrotto 055CX3 CF legs for her still camera, which are the modern Carbon Fiber equivalent of my current legs. It might be an idea to borrow them for video for a while to see if there is any improvement. If so, then decent CF photo-stlye legs might not be out of the question.

This is so frustrating. If I could walk into somewhere like B&H I'd be able to work out the best compromise for me in less than an hour.

Quote:

The Miller has neoprene on the top section of all 3 legs, making hiking with it over a shoulder so much more comfortable than a tripod without.
I've noticed that, and thought it was a good idea.

Quote:

I agree with Chris that hiking with the camera attached to the tripod is not a good idea, but understand that without things set up ready to go, you loose precious seconds & often loose the shot.
That's exactly what I do when stalking a victim. The tripod usually even remains extended. 5 seconds can be a killer. For hiking, the tripod is collapsed and camera off the head.

Thanks for the reply, Bryce.

Michael Warren December 17th, 2013 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Soucy (Post 1824772)
If it wasn't for the rain forest thing, I'd suggest you build/ buy a kind of wheeled golf trolley gizmo so you wouldn't have to carry all that stuff, just pull.

Can't see that working too well up country.

Unfortunately, that wouldn't be usable.

Bryce Comer December 17th, 2013 11:10 PM

Ok, based on what camera you are looking at getting in the future, how about something like this:
Legs: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/846201-REG/Gitzo_GT2532S_GT_2531_Mountaineer_6X_Carbon.htmlBowl adaptor: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/898106-REG/Gitzo_gs3321v75_Video_Adapter_75mm_Ser.htmlHead: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/538602-REG/Sachtler_0407_0407_FSB_6_Fluid_Head.htmlOf course, there are so many options out there & what works for one, may not work for all, but something along these lines I think would be a great place to start & so much better than what you are currently using you really wouldn't know yourself using it!
If what Chris has said about the Sachtler QR plate being compatible with the Manfrotto ones, then that may well be a wise choice of head. The quality will certainly be way better than most if not all Manfrotto heads available.
I hope this is of some help. Hopefully others will chime in with some more advice now that we all know what camera setup you are looking to use with it.
All the best,
Bryce

Bryce Comer December 17th, 2013 11:12 PM

Oh & I forgot to add the leg coats: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/748120-REG/LensCoat_LW115BK_LegCoat_Wraps_115_Set.htmlSomething like that will make carrying way easier!

Michael Warren December 18th, 2013 01:31 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, Bryce. I've put those in my B&H wishlist to compare to the others.

I'm still uncomfortable with that style of leg, but from what you're saying it may unfounded. I will do the experiment with my wife's legs next time I go out shooting to see it that raises my confidence level.

Another thing that's probably unique to me is the type of leg locks. I much prefer the lever style as the rotating locks require more force to grip, which can be painful.

Anyway, I don't need to buy in the next 5 minutes (although I am getting sick of putting the decision off all the time), so I'll collect as much data as I can and find the best compromise.

James Kuhn December 18th, 2013 04:21 PM

Michael Warren...I wish you good hunting.

Between the excellent suggestions elicited from this thread and the tons of research material available through the 'search function' - your decision should be fun!

I started my 'Video Tripod Journey" 2-years ago. I've enjoyed the journey and, as I've mentioned before, I know a lot more about our 'three-legged friend' then I ever knew before.

Happy Holidays!

Regards,

J.

Alastair Traill December 19th, 2013 07:46 PM

Hi Michael,

I am impressed with the Weifeng 717 system. They use the usual crutch style leg and are surprisingly rigid, my torsional stiffness measurements indicate that they are not far behind Miller’s much heavier and now old LP legs – a standard of years gone by. The Weifeng come in various heights and their weight is around 4.5 kg.

Weifeng’s control of wind-up is very good. I might add that I knocked back a Vision Blue (at about 10 times the price) because of wind-up problems that showed up in my one and only test.

I am a fan of flexible tripod handles as they are very good at damping unintended tremor and seem to make wind-up control easier. I was hoping to try a flexible handle on a Vision Blue but negotiations for a ‘free trial’ ground to a halt very quickly.

There are a few downsides with the Wiefeng 717. For a start there is no adjustment for the counterbalance spring which may be a problem. Another is quality control, I had a few minor issues with mine that were easily resolved. My advice to potential Weifeng buyers would be to check the sellers return policy before purchase and check it very carefully on delivery.

I also have an interest in carrying tripods through rough and maybe hilly terrain. For some of my activity I use very low camera angles. To this end I have a couple of very small tripods that I am happy to leave attached to the camera whilst carrying. Another line I have been investigating is making a tripod in the form of a ‘staff’ that that can be of assistance rather than a hindrance in negotiating rough terrain. The design uses 3 tubular legs of different diameters that can be ‘telescoped’ into the largest for storage/transport, this becomes the ‘staff’. In use a single clamp block holds the three tubes at predetermined angles. A separate clamp assembly can be slid along the thickest leg. It supports a short column to mount the head. This column can be set to vertical. I use a ‘nodal’ type head that can be used either way up and thus on either end of the vertical column. The pluses are that it easy to carry and a wide range of heights is possible. There are very few parts. Down sides are that in its current form it takes a while to assemble and being rigid can be difficult to move to a new position. I am sure this aspect can be improved upon. More of a concern is the need to use a vertical column. Depending on camera weight and tube lengths, diameters, thicknesses etc a heavy camera may oscillate for a few seconds after being knocked.

Michael Warren December 19th, 2013 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alastair Traill (Post 1825098)
I am impressed with the Weifeng 717 system.

Thanks for the reply, Alastair.

I've never heard of Weifeng so I looked it up. Seems it's just another name for Fancier. There does seem to be a lot of people who like them, but the price sounds too good to be true.

It looks like the 717 is being replaced by the 730.

Since these are available in Australia for less than $300 delivered, I'm very tempted to get one just to see what it's like. I'd should easily be able to get half that back if I sold it.

Quote:

I might add that I knocked back a Vision Blue (at about 10 times the price) because of wind-up problems that showed up in my one and only test.
I assume your not saying the 717 is better than the Vinten, but rather you don't think it's worth 10 times the price?

Quote:

Another is quality control, I had a few minor issues with mine that were easily resolved. My advice to potential Weifeng buyers would be to check the sellers return policy before purchase and check it very carefully on delivery.
The eBay dealer I saw the 730 on offers a no questions 30 day money back. It would at least give me a starting point to help find what I really want. It's effectively a free trial.

Richard D. George December 19th, 2013 08:58 PM

I "second" what Bryce suggests for Gitzo legs, a 75mm bowl, and a Sachler head. Before you dismiss this on a cost basis, consider the long run. Such a system will outlive your current camera and the three or four that follow, and perhaps you as well. Every time you use it you will smile. Your pans will be flawless.

Michael Warren December 19th, 2013 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard D. George (Post 1825102)
IBefore you dismiss this on a cost basis, consider the long run.

Cost is not the overriding factor here at all, but I am concerned about spending well over $2K without being able to try it first.

The idea behind buying the cheaper system is to help educate me. It will cost me nothing to try it for 30 days, and only about $150 to try it for a longer period. Unfortunately, there is absolutely nothing available to try any where near where I live. We only have 2 photo stores in Cairns and the best video tripod system they carry is about $60.

Michael Warren December 19th, 2013 09:35 PM

For anyone who has used both, how much better is the FSB6 compared to the FSB4? The 4 is nearly half the price and a bit lighter. Both have side load and the same sized QR plate.

And is the FSB4 a step up from the Ace? It looks to be about the same, from what I can tell.

Les Wilson December 19th, 2013 10:42 PM

I doubt very much the internals, materials and build quality of the ACE are the same as the FSB-4. The sliding plates don't travel the same distance either. The ACE is for small camcorders and DSLRs. Sachtler was smart to get a product for that market at a price under it's FSB line. Probably a reason it isn't named FSB-x.

Assuming compactness matters, you will want a 2-stage set of legs. For an FSB-4 head, that means this model that clocks in at 5kg:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/601882-REG/Sachtler_0373_0373_FSB_4_Aluminum_Tripod.html
The FSB-6 is even more weight. I have the above FSB-4 unit for an EX1R camcorder rig and love it for around town. Off road or with a DSLR, I put on a Manfrotto 701HDV.

I think what should drive the head decision of FSB-4 vs FSB-6 is not features but load capacity. If your rig exceeds the capacity of your head, then you need another model up.

Michael Warren December 19th, 2013 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Wilson (Post 1825114)
Assuming compactness matters, you will want a 2-stage set of legs. For an FSB-4 head, that means this model that clocks in at 5kg:
Sachtler 0373 FSB-4 Aluminum Tripod System 0373 B&H Photo Video

I have that one in my wishlist, but it's pushing my weight limit. At this point I'm inclining toward the Gitzo legs and FSB4, but I still have to overcome my reluctance to photo-style legs.

Quote:

I think what should drive the head decision of FSB-4 vs FSB-6 is not features but load capacity. If your rig exceeds the capacity of your head, then you need another model up.
The specs on the PX270 haven't been released yet, but realistically, I don't want a camera that weighs more than 4kg with accessories anyway, so the FSB4 will probably be fine.

Thanks, Les.

Bryce Comer December 20th, 2013 12:14 AM

Michael,
I think you would be very happy with the Gitzo legs. Yes they are from a brand associated with photo tripods, however, the model of legs I was referring to, has no centre column you would normally expect to see on a photo tripod. The bowl attachment attaches to the legs in a very solid manner, & I can say from my own experience with a Gitzo Systematic tripod, that there is absolutely zero play between the legs & bowl adaptor. With that in mind, the tripod with the bowl adaptor fitted is essentially a video tripod. I was actually using those tripod legs today with a Sachtler DV10SB head, supporting my Sony EX3 with an 80-400mm lens. That's like using a 2160mm 35mm camera lens! I can make very smooth pans & tilts with it, & I have never had to worry about wind up with those legs.
I think the Sachtler FSB-4 head would be a great setup for your needs.
Keep researching, but I think you are on the right track!
Regards,
Bryce

Michael Warren December 20th, 2013 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryce Comer (Post 1825123)
I think you would be very happy with the Gitzo legs. Yes they are from a brand associated with photo tripods, however, the model of legs I was referring to, has no centre column you would normally expect to see on a photo tripod.

My concern is that all things equal, single-tube legs with no brace are going to flex more. That's not to say that the single tube CF legs don't work well, but until I've tried it for myself I will still feel uncomfortable. I'm going to try and find time over the weekend to do the experiment with my wife's carbon legs.

For my situation, single legs do have some advantages.

One thing that bothers me about the Gitzo legs is the rotating locks. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have trouble with pain using them. These legs have a lock that will not give me as much of a problem.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/898213-REG/Sachtler_1013_System_Ace_L_TT.html
Quote:

I was actually using those tripod legs today with a Sachtler DV10SB head, supporting my Sony EX3 with an 80-400mm lens. That's like using a 2160mm 35mm camera lens! I can make very smooth pans & tilts with it, & I have never had to worry about wind up with those legs.
That's impressive.

Jon Fairhurst December 20th, 2013 01:49 PM

Trying before buying (or at least getting first hand recommendations from those with hands-on experience) really makes sense. Some time ago, I was shopping for a monopod and was prepared to spend as needed to meet my requirements. I wanted rigidity, low weight, reasonable reach and it had to collapse to under 24 inches to fit in carry-on luggage. Shopping on line, I was convinced that I would go for a carbon fiber solution.

I went to a local, well-stocked camera shop in Portland (unfortunately, not a DV Info sponsor, so I won't name them) and tried about 15 monopods. To my surprise, the carbon fiber models were not very stable or light. The problem was the connectors needed to join the round CF sections. They wiggled. The aluminum models, on the other hand, had fitted shapes and custom fittings that held things snug.

All but one of the CF models failed my stability test. The one that passed cost about $300. It was maybe 25 or 50 grams lighter than a $60 aluminum model that was just as solid. I bought the $60 Slik model and would buy it again. The $300 CF model (I forget the brand) was maybe 5-10% better but not worth 5x the cost.

Sorry I don't have any specific tripod recommendations, though I'll say that if you can live with a "shorty", it might be a good solution. A short tripod will be lighter and might have fewer connectors. Fewer connectors and shorter segments help stability - but it might mean that you need to be dressed to sit in the mud or snow to see the monitor. And don't assume that a CF tripod will be more solid than an aluminum one. Sloppy hardware ruins solid sticks.

Best of luck. I look forward to reading about what you choose and how you rate the results!

Richard D. George December 20th, 2013 04:03 PM

Try before you buy, or order from an outfit that has a return policy.

The single tube Gitzo CF legs are absolutely sturdy, and don't flex, and don't cause "windup" or resulting "kickback". Much better than my previous multi-tube Sachtler CF legs. You won't believe how totally rock solid they are until you try them yourself.

Alastair Traill December 20th, 2013 04:30 PM

Hi Michael,

Quote: - “I assume your not saying the 717 is better than the Vinten, but rather you don't think it's worth 10 times the price?”

What I was trying to do with my brief test with the Vinten Vision Blue was to test an EX3 with a 300mm f4 Nikkor lens. Angle of view in this case would be equivalent to ~ 1550 mm on a 35 mm camera. In my brief test in a dealer’s showroom I found the wind-up to be unacceptable. The camera I use on my Weifeng 717 is the Panasonic TM 900 that has a 35 mm focal length equivalent of 35 – 600 mm in optical zoom and much further in digital zoom, in fact it goes to a quite useless 700x. However it can be set match the EX3 with 300mm lens coverage, under these conditions I find the wind-up to be acceptable. I would stress that I have a strong preference for a flexible pan handle as it gives me better control, I used a flexible handle with the Weifeng and the rigid handle on the Vision Blue. I also changed the compensation spring in the Weifeng 717 to better match the light weight of the TM 900 (< 500 gm).

I guess what I am saying is that the Weifeng 717 satisfied my requirements for the TM 900 but the Vision Blue did not satisfy my requirements for an EX3 with 300 mm lens. I might add that I recently tried one of the larger Fancier tripods with the EX3 / 300 mm combination and I was most unimpressed.

However I am very impressed that Bryce can happily use an EX3 with an 80 – 400 mm zoom with his Gitzo / Sachtler set-up. It is something I would like to see.

If you want to try the Weifeng (Fancier, Mantona, Kenner etc) you should be able to get the tall version for around $200, the shorter version is a bit cheaper.

Good luck..

Michael Warren December 20th, 2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst (Post 1825190)
Trying before buying(or at least getting first hand recommendations from those with hands-on experience) really makes sense.

Thanks for your reply, Jon.

Unfortunately, trying anything is out of the question since a 3 hour plane flight is the only way I could get to a store that has any pro tripods, and even then none seem to carry a large range. That's why I started this thread. I'm hoping to minimize my risk, and already it's paid off due to what I'm learning.

Quote:

All but one of the CF models failed my stability test.
I've just conducted a test in the back yard, comparing my wife's new CF 055 legs with my 20 year old aluminum 055 legs.

I find the flex to be so close I can't tell the difference. On one test the aluminum legs would be slightly better, but next time it appeared the CF legs were a little better. In practical terms they work the same.

However, I noticed that overall, my 20 year old legs are much more solidly built. Not just the tubes, but all the cast parts and leg locks are much more rugged. I'm quite certain that if I put these Manfrotto CF legs through the treatment I've given the current legs they would not survive anything like 20 years.

Quote:

but it might mean that you need to be dressed to sit in the mud or snow to see the monitor.
I had to laugh at this. I live in Tropical northern Australia. No chance of snow. :-)

Quote:

And don't assume that a CF tripod will be more solid than an aluminum one. Sloppy hardware ruins solid sticks.
Indeed, but the Gitzo CF legs being recommended here are likely to be very well made.

Michael Warren December 20th, 2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard D. George (Post 1825207)
Try before you buy, or order from an outfit that has a return policy.

Unfortunately, Australian stores don't generally have very good return policies unless the product is faulty.

Quote:

The single tube Gitzo CF legs are absolutely sturdy, and don't flex, and don't cause "windup" or resulting "kickback". Much better than my previous multi-tube Sachtler CF legs.
That's good to know. A direct comparison to the Sachtler legs I'm considering does help.

Michael Warren December 21st, 2013 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alastair Traill (Post 1825211)
I might add that I recently tried one of the larger Fancier tripods with the EX3 / 300 mm combination and I was most unimpressed.

I've read that the grease used has been changed and some people have sent their head back to get the grease changed to to old type. Perhaps that contributed to your experience.

Quote:

If you want to try the Weifeng (Fancier, Mantona, Kenner etc) you should be able to get the tall version for around $200, the shorter version is a bit cheaper.
I's still considering that as an experiment, since the cost will be minimal.

Michael Warren December 21st, 2013 02:36 AM

This is the front-runner at the moment, I think:

Wish List - B&H Photo Video

Richard D. George December 21st, 2013 09:23 AM

I think you are on the right track. I have:

GT3532LSV (with 75mm bowl included)
GT3531LSV (discontinued, but still shown on the B&H website. Note the customer reviews)

These are slightly more weight but still very light. I think the GT3531LSV is still available on Amazon.com.

My comments on stability and rigidity relate to these Series 3 legs but I suspect the Series 2 legs are quite good also.

You will appreciate the quality, and the ability to set for low angles.