Good Lightweight Tripod System - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old December 21st, 2013, 07:20 PM   #46
Major Player

Re: Good Lightweight Tripod System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair Traill View Post
Vanbar have the GT2532S Systematic on special at $880 (AUD incl GST).
That is a good price. I'd prefer to buy in Australia if possible.

Quote:
Given the value of our dollar at the moment this seems to be a better price than B&H and especially so if your B&H order attracts GST.
Anything over US$890 including shipping will have to have GST added, so anything I'm looking at will be more.

One thing, though; every time I look at a picture of those legs I find it hard to imagine them not flexing badly. They look so thin.

Quote:
As a matter of interest what is weight of the camera you are considering?
I won't be able to handle anything more than 4kg total, hopefully much less. The front-runner at the moment is the PX270 which hasn't had specs released, but I expect it would be similar to the HPX250, which is well under 3kg.
Old December 21st, 2013, 07:25 PM   #47
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce Comer View Post
Since you are looking at something a little bigger & heavier, I would be more inclined to look into the Compass 12 head.
Unfortunately, at 6.5kg it's just too heavy.

Thanks again for your contributions.
Old December 21st, 2013, 11:34 PM   #48
Major Player

Hi Michael,

Here are some pictures of TraillPod Mark 3 that I described in an earlier post. It is set-up in low mode. Total weight including TM 900 is ~ 3.6 kg. Each leg has a fixed length for both stiffness and simplicity. The angles that the legs make to one another are fixed but height can be adjusted by repositioning the clamp block. As mentioned the legs have different diameters and telescope one into the other forming a ‘staff’. The last picture shows the set-up partly dismantled. Everything can be removed.
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/images/a...1&d=1387690130
Attached Thumbnails
Good Lightweight Tripod System-_dsc9612.jpg   Good Lightweight Tripod System-_dsc9613.jpg  

Good Lightweight Tripod System-_dsc9614.jpg   Good Lightweight Tripod System-_dsc9615.jpg  

Good Lightweight Tripod System-_dsc9616.jpg  
Alastair Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2013, 06:15 PM   #49
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair Traill View Post
Here are some pictures of TraillPod Mark 3 that I described in an earlier post.
Nicely made setup. Good to see someone else who likes making their own accessories.
Old December 22nd, 2013, 06:16 PM   #50
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Warren View Post
To diverge for a minute, what's the consensus on Miller systems?

For me, the major advantage is that I can buy in Australia, which means quite a significant price saving.

However, the only model I can find that comes roughly within my criteria is this one:

System: DS10 Solo DV Carbon Fibre System (1511) - Miller Camera Support

It pushes my weight limit a bit (4.85kg), but to give an idea, to buy it from B&H, by the time shipping, tax and exchange rate are added, would cost me AUS$2040, but from an Australian store it would be AUS$1460, delivered. A massive difference.

Spec-wise, it looks good, and Miller seem to be well regarded.

I'll phone the store and ask some questions on Monday, but of course, they are going to be biased and tell me it's the best thing ever. :-)
There is no one there until the second week of January, so I'll need to call back then.
Old December 27th, 2013, 10:03 PM   #51
Inner Circle

You are buying a beautiful high build quality side mount head with a decent length QR plate. Why add the weight of the Manfrotto plate? Just get more Sachtler QR plates.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2013, 10:16 PM   #52
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wilson View Post
You are buying a beautiful high build quality side mount head with a decent length QR plate. Why add the weight of the Manfrotto plate? Just get more Sachtler QR plates.
I wouldn't be adding the Manfrotto bracket.

My problem (which I feel must surely be quite common) is that I want to be able to take the camera off the tripod and mount it on a stabilizer (and other mounts I might possibly invent in the future), so I need a QR bracket that takes the same plate as the head.

According to Chris, the Manfrotto plate and bracket are compatible with the Sachtler FSB4 and FSB6.

I sent an email to Miller asking if there was a solution to this for their tripods, either from them or another manufacturer, but have not had a reply yet. I guess they are closed until some time in the new year.
Old December 29th, 2013, 08:59 AM   #53
Major Player

Quote:
Richard, how much force is required to operate the leg section locks? Do you think a six or seven year old child would have any problems?
I found an 8-year old kid who had no trouble tightening the leg locks on my Gitzo sticks.

Mark Watson
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2013, 02:54 PM   #54
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Watson View Post
I found an 8-year old kid who had no trouble tightening the leg locks on my Gitzo sticks.
LOL! Excellent! Thanks, Mark. :)
Old January 12th, 2014, 10:44 PM   #55
Major Player

Quote:
I sent an email to Miller asking if there was a solution to this for their tripods, either from them or another manufacturer, but have not had a reply yet. I guess they are closed until some time in the new year.
I received a reply from Miller. They do have a compatible QR bracket; the 313:
Special mounts: QR Adaptor Plate (313) - Miller Camera Support

So that's another point in Miller's favour.

I had a good long talk to someone at an Australian store, and when I described the old Miller heads I used to use 30 years ago he said the modern ones are very different. I came away not knowing what to think.

But I assume the basic design of all this range of heads is very similar.

So the questions are:

Is the Gitzo CF legs + FSB4 better than the Miller Solo CF and DS10 head? Especially considering it will cost me nearly $600 more.

Will a head that lists a weight range of 2.5kg to 5kg be completely unusable with only a 1.5kg camera? If so, then I may as well wait until I get the camera I intend using. The reason I wanted to get the tripod sooner is because I'm sick of fighting with my current system, but if I will still have to fight with the new one I may as well wait.
Old January 12th, 2014, 11:06 PM   #56
Major Player

The Gitzo / Sachtler FSB combination is superb. If you bought it, you would be happy. Very happy. Day after day.

Is it worth the extra cost, for you? I cannot say.
Richard D. George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2014, 12:00 AM   #57
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard D. George View Post
The Gitzo / Sachtler FSB combination is superb. If you bought it, you would be happy. Very happy. Day after day.
I think I would be happy with it, but I'm wondering if I wouldn't also be happy with the Miller. They have a good name too. And I was wrong about the price difference. The Gitzo/Sachtler would be about $900 more. $2362 v $1460.

Spec wise, nothing jumps out at me as being that much better, if at all.
Old January 13th, 2014, 12:57 PM   #58
Major Player

The value (to me) of the Gitzo / Sachtler combo is not in the specs - it is in the handling, and the rock solid foundation, and in the perfect pans with no wind-up or backlash, and the quality of the build. These items are not found in specs.

However, the Miller combo might be just fine, and the price difference is significant. It is unfortunate that you can't see and try both in person.

Alas, I am of no further help. I wish you well in your decision.
Richard D. George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2014, 02:40 PM   #59
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard D. George View Post
It is unfortunate that you can't see and try both in person.
Indeed.

These 2 systems are much closer in price at B&H. What makes the Miller so attractive is that there is a store in Australia that has it for a very good price with free shipping until the end of January.

Thanks for all your input.
Old January 13th, 2014, 04:21 PM   #60
Inner Circle

Seems this thread has done significantly more than its allotted laps, tho' guess that was inevitable given its title, there being no such critter and all.

Back to basics.

Existing scenario:

Exceedingly average sticks + ditto head + 600 mm lens = exceedingly average video + totally shagged

Currently Proposed Scenario:

1:1:1:? sticks + untried head + 600 mm lens = who the heck knows (but you wouldn't catch me using it for a parachute).

Reality Check Scenario:

Vinten Vb (x) tester 2:2:1 sticks & head combo + Manfrotto 520ball + Manfrotto 128LP exceedingly average head + 600 mm lens = well, at least there's some decent sticks under it, take it from there.

Logic:

1. Both of the first two components of the CPS are potential "buy it and weep" units, not a good look.

2. The sticks under the Vb series are darn good, and they're FREE testers!

3. You need a 520BALL 75Mm Bowl With Knob 520BALL - Other | Manfrotto to use your current head with any 75 mm bowl sticks anyway.

4. If the RCS doesn't work (as if!), send the Vinten back with thanks, but........and we take this thread for a couple of additional laps and see if we can kill it.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads