Quick Release for Stills and Video - Part 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 5th, 2015, 08:53 AM   #1
Major Player

Quick Release for Stills and Video - Part 2

Here are the rest of the photos.
For shooting video on a tripod or a monopod, the RRS rail with the perpendicular clamp snaps into the Kessler Qwik release receiver. There are safety stops on both sides to prevent the rail from sliding out of the receiver. The camera snaps into the perpendicular clamp, and can be adjusted fore and aft along the rail. RRS has other rails with a more simple clamp built-in, which would save money. I like this combination, to get the small Sony A7s body up higher for clearance of lens hoods. The lens attached is the new Sony FE 16-35 f/4.0 OSS ZA.
Attached Thumbnails
Quick Release for Stills and Video - Part 2-dsc00083.jpg   Quick Release for Stills and Video - Part 2-dsc00086.jpg  

Quick Release for Stills and Video - Part 2-dsc00087.jpg   Quick Release for Stills and Video - Part 2-dsc00088.jpg  

Quick Release for Stills and Video - Part 2-dsc00090.jpg   Quick Release for Stills and Video - Part 2-dsc00092.jpg  

Quick Release for Stills and Video - Part 2-dsc00094.jpg  
Richard D. George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2015, 12:42 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Quick Release for Stills and Video - Part 2

I've been trying to figure out a universal stills/video solution for my 5d3 and NX1 - and I keep coming back to arca compatible base plates, can I ask why you didn't just mount the RRS QR directly to the tripod plate? Is it just to get the additional height? I know you have the adjustability of the second plate as well, but I'm wondering if you can get the same results with a long tripod plate.
Chris Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2015, 12:20 PM   #3
Regular Crew

He stated that it was "to get the small Sony A7s body up higher for clearance of lens hoods."

This is a great method to also be able to use camcorders and still-photography-style-cameras together.
Zexun Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2015, 03:28 PM   #4
New Boot

I like the Kessler Qwik Release system. I just wish they applied that to Manfrotto 501 plates as I have a stack of them here and easier to swap between heads.
Johnson Liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2015, 03:55 PM   #5
Major Player

RRS plates can be used in the Kessler Qwik Release receiver, but cannot be used in the Sachtler video head QR "receiver" directly.

If one owned the (apparently fabulous) RRS video fluid head, the RRS plate could go directly into the RRS video head QR receiver, but there might still be clearance issues with some lens / lens hood combinations on the small Sony A7s body.

I also created a custom monopod combination for stills and video. RRS / Benro / Kessler.
topic for a different post.
Richard D. George is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads