Tripod for use with Panasonic GH4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old May 31st, 2015, 03:15 AM   #1
Major Player

Tripod for use with Panasonic GH4

I'm ruining a lot of dynamic shots because of this cheap (but very portable) Benro tripod I'm currently using for shooting with my GH4 around town when I'm riding my bicycle. (living in Amsterdam)

So I'm looking to buy something that is relatively light and portable and will get me some nice fluid pan or tilt shots. Preferably under $1000 or is that too much to ask? I borrowed a Sachtler ACE (simplest one, I believe) from a friend but both legs fell off... the head felt good, though, for the 30 seconds I used it...

Maybe the head with different legs? Something similar? Or was my friend's copy of the ACE a dud and do others have better experience with this system?
Old May 31st, 2015, 03:30 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Tripod for use with Panasonic GH4

Quote:
Sachtler ACE (simplest one, I believe) from a friend but both legs fell off... the head felt good, though, for the 30 seconds I used it...
Seriously? In it's price range the Sachtler ace is one of the better tripods but I have to say I don't use it while riding a bike :)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2015, 06:01 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Seriously? In it's price range the Sachtler ace is one of the better tripods but I have to say I don't use it while riding a bike :)
Yeah, the legs were awful- and not just for riding. You pay €600 and no wheels included..?!

Do you own an ACE?
Old May 31st, 2015, 07:19 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I own this tripod. Head is awesome for the price. Legs are terrible. I've glued mine to fix them but looking for leg replacement.
Chris Hsiung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2015, 07:31 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hsiung View Post
I own this tripod. Head is awesome for the price. Legs are terrible. I've glued mine to fix them but looking for leg replacement.
Yes, I've read some bad stuff about the legs but you never know if it's just a few people having bad luck. Apparently not. Can't believe Sachtler produces them.

Can you by the head separate? Any advice on alternative sticks?
Old May 31st, 2015, 10:11 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen Wolf View Post
Do you own an ACE?
Yes, I really like the tripod head and don't have issues with the legs, they work fine for me.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2015, 04:09 PM   #7
Major Player

I've been using the Sachtler FSB-6 and FSB-4 with Gitzo legs. It's a good combination, in fact it's the one piece of video gear I have not had any urge to change. I don't remember how the Ace head attaches to the tripod, but if it's like the FSB-series, I recommend looking at the Gitzo legs. I have two sets of the carbon-fiber type. What you want is the type that can be adapted to either accept a flat-top insert for stills head attachment, and also accept a video leveling ball type head.

Mark

Edit: Just confirmed the Ace is mounted via 75mm bowl. The Gitzo version you want is the Systematic one. Then get the bowl adapter for the fluid head.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/846213-REG/Gitzo_GT3542LS_GT3542XLS_6x_4_SECTION_SYSTEMATIC.htmlhttp://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/898106-REG/Gitzo_gs3321v75_Video_Adapter_75mm_Ser.html

Last edited by Mark Watson; May 31st, 2015 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Added info.
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2015, 05:31 PM   #8
Trustee

I'll be following this thread closely. I too have a GH4 & am currently using it with a Sachtler DV10SB head on Gitzo legs. Absolutely bomber setup. The problem for me though, is that when i only have the camera with a light lens mounted to it, the head is way too much. Great with my 150-600mm mounted to it, but i'd love to find a head that will handle the (roughly) 1 pound weight of the camera with a light lens mounted, up to the 5 odd pounds with my heaviest telephoto lens mounted, as well as having the option to add more weight if i end up adding other kit.
I like the specs of the Sachtler Ace L head, Just a little weary of something that cheap. Can it really feel like a higher end Sachtler? If anyone here has used a Sachtler Ace L & any of the FSB or DV heads, i would love to hear your opinion of the Ace head in comparison.
I also have a Miller DS10 with carbon fiber solo legs. A great setup, but still too much counter balance for the camera with a light lens.
Old May 31st, 2015, 06:19 PM   #9
Major Player

I haven't used the Ace, but just from playing with them in the stores, the movement/action of the head (no camera on it) felt like the FSB-4. The load capacity of the Ace L is 13.2 Lbs, which is identical to the load capacity of the FSB-6, and the Ace M matches up with the FSB-4 at 8.8 Lbs. max. So maybe the guts are the same. For use with the FDR-AX100 (2 Lbs), the FSB-4 is great. The GH4 being about 20 oz. bare bones, should work with the Ace M (0.0 - 8.8 Lbs), and you get the leeway to use heavy lenses. The FDR-AX100 took a little too much effort with the FSB-6, felt like I might tilt the whole tripod when trying to tilt the camera down at a sharp angle.

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2015, 07:23 PM   #10
Trustee

Thanks Mark,
Very useful information. I may have to look more seriously at the Ace L by the sound of it. As far as i know, the Ace L also starts at 0lb load rating with a "0" counter balance setting. (something that the DV10 is supposed to have according to the specs, but doesn't). The extra weight rating of the "L" would allow me to use a lightweight travel jib too.
Regards,
Bryce
Old June 18th, 2015, 09:41 AM   #11
Major Player

This is not totally off-topic here...

I have the Sony X70 which is about 3 pounds - I occasionally add another couple of pounds of stuff.

I have the Sachtler Ace M and it's by far the best tripod I've ever used. But, I still have some stability issues and sometimes get some kickback on pans, etc. I often do closeup shots of artwork where the small irregularities really show up. I'm a serious amateur in my early sixties, so do not need something that will last me 20 years necessarily :-)

My budget has now changed and I can afford to put $1K to $2K into a better tripod. I've always read that the Sachtler Ace M head is very good, and that it's the sticks that cause some of these issues. I don't use mine heavily enough to have yet seen any durability issues with the legs as mentioned here.

In this thread Mark Watson recommended getting an approx. $1K set of Gitzo legs and a 75mm ball adapter and using the Sachtler Ace M head.

So, I'm looking at several options...

Sachtler's FSB-6 System for about $2K

sachtler 0475 fsb-6 | B&H Photo Video

Or the Ace L for about $1300

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/898213-REG/Sachtler_1013_System_Ace_L_TT.html

Or just keeping my Ace head and adding the recommended Gitzo sticks with ball adapter for about $1100?:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/846213-REG/Gitzo_GT3542LS_GT3542XLS_6x_4_SECTION_SYSTEMATIC.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/898106-REG/Gitzo_gs3321v75_Video_Adapter_75mm_Ser.html

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Is the $2K solution really a lot better than the other options? With this budget, what others I should be considering?
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2015, 09:36 AM   #12
Trustee

I've only used Sachtler all my life and was very happy. However, after trying out the ACE at NAB this year, I was not impressed. FSB-6 and 8 felt good. I went over to the Really Right Stuff booth. I never heard of them. I tried out their FH-350 head on their sticks and was totally blown away. In my opinion, this is the setup for every pro videographer with a smallish camera! These are engineered and made in America. When I need another tripod, Really Right Stuff is what I'll get. There are no plastic parts here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=U...&v=n6KFSWa4EjU
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2015, 02:07 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto View Post
When I need another tripod, Really Right Stuff is what I'll get.
If only we could get it for the Really Right Price...
Old June 20th, 2015, 07:59 AM   #14
Major Player

Thanks for the info, but I'm going to limit myself to things from B&H so that I can easily return them if I choose to.

I'm now also considering keeping my Ace M head but getting Miller Solo DV carbon fiber legs like the $750 2-stage.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/293495-REG/Miller_1501_SOLO_DV_Carbon_Fiber.html
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2015, 12:04 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Hi David................

Pushed for time, so only one thing to say - Don't! Yet.

More later.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads