Libec ALX H Head at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old January 28th, 2017, 02:22 AM   #1
Major Player

Libec ALX H Head

I am thinking of buying one of these as I have a need for a lightweight head.

My current head is a Sachtler FSB6, which I like to use with the drag setting on 3 (maximum).

I note that the Libec head has a fixed drag level - has anyone any experience of using this head, to give me an indication of how much drag there is?

I can live with less that my FSB 6, but I used to have a Manfrotto 701 HDV, which had a fixed drag level far too low for my taste, and do not want a repeat experience!

Thanks
Alan Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2017, 03:29 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Libec ALX H Head

If it's the same head as goes with the now discontinued Libec Allex kit than a load of rubbish. I have one, and the pan is useless, either fully locked or too loose.

No comparison whatsoever with my FS6 B apart from the 75mm mount. Libec a lot lighter if that an issue.

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2017, 07:51 AM   #3
Major Player

Oh dear, that is what I was afraid of - I think the two are the same head.

The attraction is the weight 1.3 kg against 2.6 kg, plus the FSB 6 is overkill for the Can XA20, which is far too light for the head.

It looks as though I shall have to shell out for the Miller Air head. According to Miller it is available only as a kit, with legs, but two or three UK dealers list it as available to order- at a price!

Thanks for the warning, Ronald
Old January 28th, 2017, 12:19 PM   #4
Trustee

Hi Alan,
You may want to try the Miller Air with your camera first. They look very similar if not the same as the DV10 head. If it has just the 2 positions of counterbalance then you need to make sure it works with your cam. I have the DV10 & it worked brilliantly with my old XH A1 but not so well with my XA 20. If you can try before you buy, i would highly recommend it.
Bryce
Old January 30th, 2017, 02:01 AM   #5
Major Player

Thank you Bryce, it certainly looks as though you are correct there.

The camera finder on the Miller site comes up with three recommendations for my XA 20 : Air, DS10, and DS5.

The first two offer 2-position counter balance for the range 2.5 to 5 kg.

My XA20 rig is at maximum 2 kg.

The DS5 offers varianble counterbalance up to 2.5 kg, so looks the best bet.

It is 1.6 kg against 1.4 and 1.5 for the other two, but that is 1 kg less than my FSB6, and looks as though performance-wise it would be a better match for the FSB. It is also a little cheaper than the Air.

Thanks for the help everyone!
Old June 22nd, 2017, 11:48 PM   #6
Major Player

I eventually picked up a second hand Miller DS10 for £275. Not quite as light as I was aiming for, but 1200 g lighter than my FSB6.

Fortunately the pan and drag have all the feel of the true fluid head, so I am very pleased on that score. As Bryce suggested, the counterbalance is limited by its two fixed settings, but I can cope there.

Many thanks for the advice.
Alan Craven is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads