budget tripod suggestions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old December 2nd, 2005, 04:25 PM   #1
Major Player

budget tripod suggestions

hello everyone,
I'm looking for suggestions on the next piece of kit i need to buy. I have bought two tripods off of ebay for cheap (under £30) and they've both been terrible and gone straight in the bin.
I have seen a post with someone wanting to spend $400+ but I'm looking to spend half of that...? I dont mind buying used either.
The main problem I am trying to overcome is the tripod wobbling when it extended to maximum height, but far more important is the elimination of the tiny bit of give that the handle has as i begin to pan. By this I mean with my cheap nasty tripods the handle will move a few mm before the head starts to move, meaning the starting motion of the head is jumpy and generally horrible.
Any suggestions you have will be greatly appreciated
David J. Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2005, 04:42 PM   #2
Wrangler

seems you are answering your own question here. you're throwing away your money on junk. you can try this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

but it won't eliminate the "sticking" issue. usually what i do is begin my pan before i need it smooth and then cut the extra start-up bit away in the editing process. it's not perfect, but it's not expensive and also portable...
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2005, 04:49 PM   #3
Major Player

thanks for your reply. to be honest tho, of the 3 tripods i have, two of them are fine except the 'start up jump'.. surely there's a technical term for this... "pre-pan-wobble?!"... so if this tripod is still gonna have that problem I'm not sure its worth the money for me. The main time you cant really get rid of it is if for example you pan across a crowd of people left to right and then you want to simply stop and pan back the other way with no cutting..
how much do you think I'd need to pay to get rid of that annoying problem?!
David J. Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2005, 12:45 AM   #4
Trustee

One thing that is critical is the size of your camera. Cameras of different size and mass can use different types of heads. Give us more information about your setup and what you are doing.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2005, 12:38 PM   #5
Major Player

i'm using an xl1s..
I just bought another on ebay, looks a lot more sturdy this time it is a manfrotto so hopefully its going to be better than the rubbish I have bought in the past!
David J. Payne is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads