Bogen 3130 head in 18 degrees F at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old January 5th, 2003, 10:13 PM   #1
Major Player

Bogen 3130 head in 18 degrees F

Someone asked a question a few weeks back regarding how fluid heads stand up in inclement weather.

I wanted to post that we were out today to shoot some snowboard footage but we had 15-18 degrees, with 10-15 MPH winds, and the added bonus of light blowing snow. If I had to guess it was close to 0 degrees with the wind chill factor.

It was literally white out conditions with the clouds hovering about 50 feet above sea level.

We decided not to make the trek up the mountain and go somewhere else and shoot snow machine footage(snow mobiles for you non-Alaskan's =).

I was using my GL1 with a Bogen 3131 fluid head and a heated Portabrace Polar Bear on the camera. I had it on the tripod for over 3 hours, and never once did I notice any issues with the head "freezing up" while panning etc.

I didn't do any "official" benchmark type tests other than what I listed above with the wind and temperature, but I wanted to pass this on to the group.

Rgds.,
Dan
Old January 9th, 2003, 08:28 AM   #2
Warden

Thanks for the performance report Dan.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2003, 10:58 AM   #3
Major Player

……, 18 degrees F

I concur with your results, Dan. I am using a Bogen/Manfrotto 516 head with their ARTS tripod, for the first time this winter.

I have shot 2 days of sled dog races, with the mid day temps at 9 degrees F. Over night lows, were in the -25 to -30 F. The equipment was left out side by necessity of it being to far to carry in and out each day. Flawless operation from both. Moving from set-up to set-up, that light weight fiber tripod paid for it self. Strong winds during the second day of the race, did not effect performance. I did have to refrain from using the 100-400mm lens, when the gusts exceeded @25mph.

I have, this past week, shot deer (with my XL-1s), yarded up. I can't say exactly what the temp was, but it was below -30F. No stiffness in the viscous head. Like all heads left out over night, you have to exercise them a bit, to come up to normal performance.
Old January 12th, 2003, 01:18 PM   #4
Warden

The exercising of the head is exactly the difference between a Sachtler, Vinten, Miller, O'Connor and the Bogen/Manfrotto heads. They perform exactly the same at -40F as 75F. No need to exercise them to loosen them up. I've left Sachtler tripods out at Old Faithful overnight (maybe -50F) and the next morning all is fine. I feel the Vintens would do the same and probably the Millers and O'Connors. But I've had the same performance from Bogen heads, the need to exercise, and that's why I switched.

Heat has the reverse effect. Leave a Bogen in a hot van, windows up, so it really cooks. Set it up and the head will be lossey, goosey (that's a technical term). You have to wait for it to stiffen up.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2003, 09:00 AM   #5
Major Player

Having used the Vinten, and the O'Conner at pre winter olympic and also the Olympic events in past years, I am not sure that I would agree with you, Jeff.

Usually, the equipment is out side for several days, to a couple of weeks.

My personel experience has been that they all need a little excercise in the early AM morning. Even the old Houston/Fearless fully mechanical friction heads needed excercise. (Thank technology for there to be no longer a need for them!!)

Granted, that most of the heads at the nets are far from new; and, they receive a great deal more wear and tear, than the personal equipment of an individual.

I never use the drag controls if possible, exception being long lens time. That may be the reason that I am so aware of minute changes in the controls.

As to the summer heat. Since this TP and head only arrived in October, last, I have no comment on its performance in a heated envirorment. My last Bogen/Manfrotto never had a problem. Just plain wore it self out after 25 years.

Time will tell.

Off to the deer yard, for another over night shoot.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads