Z1 / FX1 tripod recommendation - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old April 19th, 2006, 11:09 PM   #16
Trustee

Bebob Zoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
they cannot access the full range of zoom speeds on these cameras unfortunately.
Here's one that I think does:

http://www.bebob.de/international/zoe-III_eng.html

Albeit not having all the speeds all the time. The little thumbwheel at the side kind of gears its range up and down a wider scale. Not usually a problem, just means finding the right range whilst you set up.

When I get some time, will try your 'slowest ever Z1 zoom' timings, but I've definately prefer the Bebob over the rocker.
Matt Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2006, 01:46 AM   #17
Trustee

I've been using the Shot Transition feature a lot recently for slow, controlled zooms - especially accross artwork and photographs.
It's got a great feature of being able to choose a ramp up-and -down to the zoom as well.
Did you guys realise that you can also change ALL the controls (focus, zoom, gain, colour balance etc )from A to B? (not that I'm sure where or when you'd need all those controls to change...)

Robin
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2006, 07:24 AM   #18
Wrangler

I don't think any controllers will allow you to access the slow zoom on the Z1/FX1. See the response from Tom McKay at Varizoom in the thread I linked above. But by all means do some tests and please post the results to that thread. If the BeBob will give me a slow zoom I'll probably buy one.

Robin, I haven't used the shot transition much but when I looked before my recollection is that the slowest zoom possible is 22 seconds, like the handle zoom and LANC speed. That is just not acceptable for event work where you need something subtle.

But I'd love to be proven wrong! If you can figure out a way to make this work please let me know. However, I don't think shot transition is going to be a practical alternative for event shooting on the fly....
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2006, 09:19 AM   #19
New Boot

Tripod

I have two Z1s and I have two Sachtler tripods (DV2II head and DA75/2 legs). I had a GL1 prior and had an inexpensive tripod---I'll never make that mistake again. Go with the very best head and tripod you can afford. You will be amazed at the difference. JimT
PS Here is B and H link:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation
Jim Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2006, 11:08 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
I don't think any controllers will allow you to access the slow zoom on the Z1/FX1. See the response from Tom McKay at Varizoom in the thread I linked above. But by all means do some tests and please post the results to that thread. If the BeBob will give me a slow zoom I'll probably buy one.

Robin, I haven't used the shot transition much but when I looked before my recollection is that the slowest zoom possible is 22 seconds, like the handle zoom and LANC speed. That is just not acceptable for event work where you need something subtle.

But I'd love to be proven wrong! If you can figure out a way to make this work please let me know. However, I don't think shot transition is going to be a practical alternative for event shooting on the fly....
Boyd

Now it seems I have something unique on my hands!!! I checked your post using the LANC and Varizoom and it didn't make sense to me from what I remembered from my own Z1.

I just did a test a few minutes ago with VZ stealth LANC controller and this is what I get:
Z1 - slowest I get from the controller is about 58secs!! I kid you not!!
FX1 - here's the funny part - I get about 24 secs??????

There must be something in the Z1 or in the controller which is unique - lol. I'm just smiling at this moment.

Maybe Tom can throw some light as to why its like this. BTW, mines a Z1E - don't know if it makes a difference - FX1E as well.

I definitely want to check this against another Z1E
Old April 22nd, 2006, 12:32 PM   #21
Major Player

Hmm... slowest I can get with Z1E+Bebob Zoe = 24 sec
and slowest I can get with Z1E+VZStealth = ......24 sec!
Old April 22nd, 2006, 12:47 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Thats what is so weird about this one!.

I must add that the camera went to Sony for repairs (I had dropped the cam from scaffolding after the twit gaffer forgot to tie down the lats) so maybe they tweaked/changed/added firmware or something.

One thing is a cert - I ain't letting this one go in a hurry!!!!
Old June 26th, 2006, 02:30 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Z1U Tripod mount

Hello everyone! I have been working in broadcast for 13 years and with the prices of HDV cameras becoming more affordable, I am researching cameras to make a purchase for freelance work that I do. My question is, I have a older CSI tripod with a good fluid head on it. Right now it has a standard Sony tripod plate for broadcast cameras.

What tripod plate does the Z1U use and how does everyone adapt the Z1U to a professional tripod?

Unfortunately, the online brochures or manuals say nothing about tripod mounts.

Thanks.
Michael Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2006, 03:49 PM   #24
Wrangler

Welcome to DVinfo Michael! The Z1 has a a hole for a standard 1/4-20 threaded tripod screw and a smaller unthreaded hole in front of it for a locating pin (to keep it from twisting). So in other words, the tripod mount on the Z1 is exactly the same as all the other small camcorders on the market; no special plate is needed.

Unfortunately I'm not really familiar with the large broadcast camera mounting plates, so I'm not exactly sure what you would need to adapt. Do they use 3/8" screws perhaps?
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2006, 06:53 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Thanks Boyd. It's actually a plate that slides into the tripod head and locks. I am just not sure if I need to find a special plate that fits Z1U and the tripod.

I am looking at purchasing the Z1U if a project goes through and by the time I get the camera to the time I start shooting is a only a few days. So I am trying to prepare to order everything I absolutely need to get me throught the first shoot.

As a side note, this forum is a invaluable resource. I have been using it for a lot of research in preperation for my shoot.
Old June 27th, 2006, 08:29 AM   #26
Trustee

is there not a scew/s coming out of the sliding plate? There ought to be, since it can then be attached to the camera. As Boyd said, you'll need a standard 1/4-20 thread screw for the Z1...

Robin
Old June 27th, 2006, 10:07 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Davies-Rollinson
is there not a scew/s coming out of the sliding plate? There ought to be, since it can then be attached to the camera. As Boyd said, you'll need a standard 1/4-20 thread screw for the Z1...

Robin
broadcast cameras mount differently, you have adapt for the the shoulder mount on most of the broadcast cameras, its not not flat bottom.
Mack Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2006, 10:11 AM   #28
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Fisher
broadcast cameras mount differently, you have adapt for the the shoulder mount on most of the broadcast cameras, its not not flat bottom.
Of course, but there is still an interface between the long plate that bridges the shoulder mount - this is the piece that comes with the head always and will have screws to screw into the bridging plate...

Robin
Old July 11th, 2006, 01:51 PM   #29
Regular Crew

I have sort of rigged my Z1U for my tripod. Basically I screwed the plate that usually mounts to the quick release plate straight into the camera, but I have to leave this mounted. Do they make a quick release plate for the Z1U?
Old July 11th, 2006, 01:57 PM   #30
Major Player

Videosmith

I use a quick release from Videosmith. I have used it on a TRV 900, PD150/170,FX1 and ZI.

http://www.videosmith.com/shop/
Jack D. Hubbard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads