Tripods for FX1 / Z1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 7th, 2006, 07:43 PM   #16
Major Player

I'd love a Vinten Vision 3, but I can't seem to not buy gear long enough to be able to afford it.
Old March 7th, 2006, 07:54 PM   #17
Major Player

Gitzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Kane
I am using a Gitzo system. The legs are the carbon fibre G1325 and the fluid head is the G1380. This system compares very favorably with the Miller DS10, but the Gitzo head is a better design. It has counterbalance springs and pan and tilt drag. The Miller and Gitzo legs are very similar in design and performance, both being carbon fibre and ideal for outdoor locations. The weights of both systems are about the same, 9 lbs and the prices are also very similar, maybe the Miller is a little less. The Gitzo head is a good product as is the Vinten. These systems are expensive but they will last a lifetime so maybe doing it right the first time will pay off in the end.
D Kane
I use pretty much the same rig. It has served me very well, especially overseas, where I set up many, many times in a day. The head is very smooth, and the ball leveller is absolutely a must.
Jack D. Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 05:45 PM   #18
Trustee

I've got a Miller DS-5 for sale...contact me if you're interested!
Old March 8th, 2006, 07:28 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Reed
There are a couple of heads that I would like to know more about. I would like to know where they fall in the above lineup. The Cartoni Action Pro 11 and the Vinten Pro 6.

My current dream pod is Miller Solo legs with a Vinten Vision 3 head. Actually, I would like to hear other people's opinions of this setup.
The Cartoni Action Pro and the Vinten Pro 6 are probably equivalent to a Bogen 501 or 503. Heck, the Pro 6 looks like a re-badge of the Bogen. In my opinion the Miller DS-5 and DS-10 are overpriced. I didn't really liked them when I tried them at a dealer. Also, their drag adjustment is really a "friction boost" and not a true variable fluid drag. It's just one fixed fluid module. You can confirm this in the manual.

The Gitzo 1380 looks suspiciously like the Vinten Vision 3. The counterbalance scheme is the same and the drag adjustment is the same.

My ideal setup would be a Cartoni Focus or a Sachtler DV6. These both have variable fluid drag and variable counterbalance. The DV6 was recently upgraded with 10 steps of counterbalance so it now does 2-20 lbs. Some people like infinitely variable drag, but I personally like the discrete fluid module steps that Sachtler uses so I'm hoping to get this one eventually. The downer is that it's very expensive.

Interesting fact: Bogen, Manfrotto, Vinten, Gitzo, Sachtler and O'Conner are now all owned by the same parent company.
Tim Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 01:33 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim N Le
The Cartoni Action Pro and the Vinten Pro 6 are probably equivalent to a Bogen 501 or 503. Heck, the Pro 6 looks like a re-badge of the Bogen. In my opinion the Miller DS-5 and DS-10 are overpriced. I didn't really liked them when I tried them at a dealer. Also, their drag adjustment is really a "friction boost" and not a true variable fluid drag. It's just one fixed fluid module. You can confirm this in the manual.

The Gitzo 1380 looks suspiciously like the Vinten Vision 3. The counterbalance scheme is the same and the drag adjustment is the same.

Interesting fact: Bogen, Manfrotto, Vinten, Gitzo, Sachtler and O'Conner are now all owned by the same parent company.
Thanks for the info Tim. I agree with your thoughts about Miller.

I knew that all of these tripod manufacturers were under the same umbrella now. I also wondered if the Gitzo 1380 was a Vision 3 since they are in the same price range and everyone seemed so happy with their 1380. I seem to remember in the back of my mind that I have heard there is more than one Bogen (with a nicer finish) that was re-badged as a Gitzo.

I would like to keep my Miller Solo legs, so I would need something in 75mm bowl. That knocks out the Cartoni Focus for me and $1550 for the Sachtler DV6 head... ouch!

Nick
Nick Reed is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads