Need help finding a 75mm adapter for these legs.. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old March 9th, 2006, 11:33 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Need help finding a 75mm adapter for these legs..

Hi everyone,

I just purchased the following tripod legs:
http://www.amvona.com/v7/shop/?page=...roduct_id=2429

I'd like to use a Manfrotto 501 or 503 head with this. Does anyone know what kind of adapter I'd need to use those heads?

I'm assuming I need something like this but I'm not sure if it's compatible:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation
Ryan Reyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 04:29 PM   #2
Regular Crew

That should work fine. The 501 or 503 (preferably) with the half ball base adaptor that you linked to, should work with a universal 75mm bowl tripod.

Nick
Nick Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 05:36 PM   #3
Trustee

I just received two of these tripods, but I didn't expect them so soon! I just got the shipping notice yesterday and they came in today. I haven't even ordered the 75mm adapter yet, so I can't give you a review. I ordered two sets of stick since they are so cheap. The plan was to cannibalize one set to make into a hi-hat, but they are so nice I don't think I can bring myself to destroy one. Keep in mind that they are only 48" tall, so if you consider them big baby-sticks, you will be happy. They are light and very sturdy/rigid. These wouldn't be appropriate for event video due to the lack of height, but they are fine for run-n-gun narrative shorts where sturdiness and portability are key and the camera placement can be planned. I plan to carry a monopod for the occaisional high-angle shots.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2006, 12:43 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Marchesseault
I just received two of these tripods... I ordered two sets of stick since they are so cheap. The plan was to cannibalize one set to make into a hi-hat, but they are so nice I don't think I can bring myself to destroy one. Keep in mind that they are only 48" tall, so if you consider them big baby-sticks, you will be happy. They are light and very sturdy/rigid. These wouldn't be appropriate for event video due to the lack of height, but they are fine for run-n-gun narrative shorts where sturdiness and portability are key and the camera placement can be planned. I plan to carry a monopod for the occaisional high-angle shots.
Are we talking about the same tripods here? The specs for the At9901atCF are $700 each, carbon fiber, 48" max height, 77lb max support weight and a 7.5lb. carrying weight. $1400 for two tripods that are short and heavy?

For less money ($519) you could buy ONE highly regarded Vinten Vinten 3775-3 ENG Aluminum 1-Stage Pozi-Loc tripod that goes taller (57") and weights less (6.2lbs). And yes, it "ONLY" holds 55lbs. of weight. For $1700 you could have gotten the Vinten 3775-3 ENG Aluminum 1-Stage Pozi-Loc with Vinten Vision 3 fluid head, a spreader and a padded case.

It just seems like you spent a lot of money for something that missed the mark, as in there are other well-respected dual-tube tripods out there that may have been a better match if light weight, rigidity and height were your main considerations.
Marc Ries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2006, 01:41 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Marc, sorry I forgot to mention that I bought these from Amvona via eBay! Ended up winning them for about $45. There's no way I would have paid he retail price for these legs. I'm assuming Marcus got these through ebay as well.
Ryan Reyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2006, 06:22 PM   #6
Trustee

I got two for $75 total (not including $50 shipping to Hawaii) and have a specific use intended. I know the height is a problem for some things, but I mostly shoot from a stabilized monopod. I got these for the ball leveler and have, since yesterday, figured out how to take the ball joint out without destroying them. I couldn't bring myself to cut the legs up to make a hi-hat. A 75mm hi-hat costs $150 not including shipping, so I'll make one for half price and have spare parts in case I damage the other.

These sticks are VERY sturdy. I applied my entire weight to the top (205lbs.) and no creaking or flexing. Just after my feet left the ground, the legs slid on their clamps and shortened. No damage at all. The clamps are not super tight, probably to prevent crushing the tubes from clamping force.

If these sticks were 60" tall, they would probably be worth $400. As is, if you think of them as sturdy baby sticks or a base for a jib, they are a good deal even at $200. They have been going for about $70 each on ebay, but don't be surprised if that price goes up.

I have the half ball adapter on order. I'll post next week on how it works.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads