XL1S/Bogen 503 Balancing Act at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old February 3rd, 2003, 05:59 PM   #1
Major Player

XL1S/Bogen 503 Balancing Act

One annoying problem I've had since purchasing the Bogen 503 head over a year ago, is the inability to balance the XL1S properly on the head. When using two pan handles with Varizoom controller mounted on one, it is impossible to move the camera far enough forward to achieve balance with the standard plate that comes with the 503.

Bogen has addressed this problem with a longer plate. Part number 501PLONG http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bh2.sph/...D=F35D38356C0. This would most likely work well, but it is $64.95 at B&H. I found a cheaper solution.

Bogen part number 3273 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bh2.sph/...ID=F35D38356C0 is a receiver with a 3272 plate that is 5" long. The 3272 plate will not fit the 503 head (I think it fits the 510), but by attaching the standard 503 plate to the bottom of the receiver and the 3272 plate to the XL1S, it is now possible to move the camera far enough forward to balance the rig without having to torque the tilt lock so tight that movement is jerky. Price $36.00.

The longer plate is probably a more elegant soultion, but I ordered the 3273/3272 combo for another application and discovered that it solved this annoying problem as well.
Old February 6th, 2003, 03:23 PM   #2
Major Player

Interesting post, Ed. I've experienced the opposite problem -- I use an XL-1 on the 503, with an LCD monitor in the shoe, AC adapter on the camera, and one pan handle with the Canon controller mounted on it. Once the plate clicks-in, drawing it backward to the stop makes it just about right.

I'll file this info away for future reference, though.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads