Bogen 701RC2 or 503 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old May 29th, 2006, 07:34 AM   #1
Major Player

Bogen 701RC2 or 503

I am looking for a good fluid head for my video productions (documentaries). I read some good things about the 701RC2, but have also read that the 503 is the cheapest fluid video head of professional quality.

Manfrotto/Bogen 503 (8kg load)
http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/cache...d=80|86&idx=87

Manfrotto/Bogen 701RC2 (4kg load)
http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/cache...d=80|86&idx=87

At this moment, I am using a Sony HDR-HC1 with some accessoires attach to it, a fairly light setup, but I am planning to upgrade to a HVX-200 or XL-H1 in one or two years. So please keep that in mind.

The pirce of the 701RC2 is 100 EURO an the 503 225 EURO over here.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2006, 08:04 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Out of the two, I think you should go with the 503. I started out with the 701RC, but have since purchased the 503. The 503 allows for smoother pan/tilts. Overall, I much smoother head.

I still have the 701RC and use it on another tripod for a second camera, or for shots where smooth pans/tilts aren't necessary. But for my primary setup, the 503 wins over the 701 and is well worth the extra money. Someday I'll own a sweet Miller or Sachtler or setup, but for now I have to go with the best bang for a few bucks.

I use a Sony PD170 and a VX2100, with several accessories attached.
Sheila Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2006, 12:15 PM   #3
Major Player

Good Afternoon.

I am going to disagree with Sheila a tad. You are planning on purchasing a TP & Head, for the future. My Manfrotto 516 Head, on an ARTS TP, has to hold up to 16 pounds on occassion. That includes mikes, covers, added batteries, etc.

While I am within the weight limits of this head, the future may hold items of added weight that I have not considered: Such as an on board monitor/telepromter/etc. My head will probably handle it.

Floris, I think you should step back, and, consider your future needs, not your present. Save the extra money for your eventuual upgrade. Perhaps as a temporary stop gap, you should look into the used equipment market.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads