Which tripod are you using with your A1/HC1/HC3? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 30th, 2006, 07:45 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff DeMaagd
For me, it doesn't have anything to do with the weight, size or trying to impress others, though extra weight helps if you have to deal with turbulence or accidental bumping. I have a couple cheap tripods, which I thought one was good, but their heads are no where nearly as nice with smooth motion as a fluid head. There are plenty of nice, cheap and lightweight tripods but if you have to tilt or pan a lot, the extra weight, cost and size is easily worthwhile. The Manfrotto 700 series are a good, inexpensive and fairly compact compromise.
I have no problem panning and tilting with my cheap tripod. Fluid heads are great, but hardly worth the extra cost in my opinion.

But maybe that's just me.
Rob Gregory-Browne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2006, 01:15 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floris van Eck
That is the combination I am looking at for now. I can get it for around 440 EURO here in The Netherlands. How does the 503 combine with the 755B legs? On the BH Photo Video website, it looks a bit odd as the head looks really big in relation to the rest of the tripod, but it can be perspective or something.

Also, how comfortable is this combination to carry around? Do you have a softcase for the tripod or how do you carry it?
I went with the 503 because I wanted something that I could keep a while and use it for the next higher level camera (like the Z1). I got the 755B because it has the tallest non-center-post height of the MdeVe line, plus the leveling bowl.

The 503 head is large, but then add to that the super-hi-rise bottom-loading cassette HC1 adapter and the whole thing looks wacky -- heck, the Rode VideoMic is almost as big as the HC1!

While a lighter (read carbon-fibre) tripod would be nice for distance spots, even with the 755B the setup is light. I have modifed a hiker's water bottle carrier (made it longer) so I can hang a gallon water jug off the tripod's weight hook.

I have a soft case, but went with the non-combo version since I wanted a taller bag, and I'm glad I did. The MBAG90P 35" Padded Tripod Bag
I got is just barely tall enough to house the 755B with the optional cup/spike feet. The bag is also big enough to hold my 769B monopod that is also fitted with the 503 quick-release adapter.
Marc Ries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2006, 06:54 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Velbon DV-7000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Bryant
Budget option..

I have a Velbon DV-7000. It sounds too cheap to be any good ($110 at B&H, complete with fluid head), but it is excellent value. To me, the head felt similar to use as the Manfrotto 701RC2.

A UK based video editing magazine (Digital Video Techniques) just did a review of various tripods, and rated the DV-7000 over the Manfrotto 701RC2 with 755B legs (which costs over 3 times as much). Now that is just one review, and I’m not saying that is indeed better, but it does validate my own findings, that the DV-7000 is very good at a low price. It is however heavy (7.5 pounds), so not good if you will be carrying it around for long distances.
I have to back up Mark -I bought this tripod after owning several other cheaper non-fluid head types and it gives smooth pans and tilts. It is reassuringly heavy/sturdy and for the money (I paid about £75 UK pounds) is good value. Note: I think it has a resistance head rather than a fluid head but the results are similiar.

Nick.
Nick Outram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2006, 07:29 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Nick,

Velbon calls it a "fluid head" (and it says "fluid head" on the tripod!).
But I think there are various definitions of what "fluid head" means.

It is my understanding that there are 2 "types" of fluid head:

1. There is resistance caused by fluid filled chambers
2. That resistance is adjustable by controlling the fluid flow

If you look at the Manfrotto heads for example, the 501 is a fluid head but (quoting Manfrotto) "it has Teflon friction adjustment to increase drag". So it would be a type 1 fluid head. The 503 and up I believe are "type 2".

The DV-7000 head I believe is "type 1" fluid - there is fluid in the head, but adjusting it uses friction/resistance.

Mark
Mark Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2006, 08:08 AM   #20
Regular Crew

I am using one of the Velbons and it works well for me. I was surprised how smooth it pans and so far it seems to be sturdy enough to do the job, but light enough to be easy to carry to foot access only locations.

I expect the Manfrottos are significantly better tripods, but the cost a lot more too. For me, budget was a major factor so I went for bang for the buck and sprang for the Velbon. And as I said, I was happily surprised.
Frank Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2006, 08:26 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Ries
I went with the 503 because I wanted something that I could keep a while and use it for the next higher level camera (like the Z1). I got the 755B because it has the tallest non-center-post height of the MdeVe line, plus the leveling bowl.

The 503 head is large, but then add to that the super-hi-rise bottom-loading cassette HC1 adapter and the whole thing looks wacky -- heck, the Rode VideoMic is almost as big as the HC1!
Marc - as you own a 503 head, can i ask (i hope you say yes..) do you think it's worth the extra money over the 701RC2 and 501? Did you try all 3 heads before getting the 503 and if so, can you try to describe the smoothness of the 503 relative to the other two heads?
Also, does it bolt straight onto the 755B tripod?

thanks
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2006, 05:34 AM   #22
New Boot

Anyone used Sachtler DV 2 II/2 with Sony HVR-A1? Is it ok, or overkill?

Click me for specs!
Tommi Gustafsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2006, 02:43 AM   #23
Major Player

I'm using the Bogen/manfrotto 3130 with an inexpensive set of heavy still legs from Calumet... while it's not a light setup it's very stable. Personally I found the 3130 head to be smoother than the 701 and it has more (although slight) adjustable friction.
Evan Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 03:42 PM   #24
New Boot

I got a Sony VCT-D680RM too.

I love its remote control for the zoom, plus is the cheapest I could find in my area. Manfrottos were way too expensive compared to this one. And this wasn't cheap (210€).
Ruben Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2006, 02:45 AM   #25
Major Player

The cheap Velbon CX-570 I bought for travelling purposes is not recommended. It is far too light for the camera with wide-angle lens, everything is from plastic and I found the whole setup not stable enough. I will be buying a Manfrotto with a Bogen 503 head later this month / early next month. My holiday footage has shown that tripod shots are really invaluable.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2006, 10:30 AM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floris van Eck
The cheap Velbon CX-570 I bought for travelling purposes is not recommended. It is far too light for the camera with wide-angle lens, everything is from plastic and I found the whole setup not stable enough. I will be buying a Manfrotto with a Bogen 503 head later this month / early next month. My holiday footage has shown that tripod shots are really invaluable.
Hi Floris - i hope you had a great time on your European trip. Perhaps you could write up a little about the whole thing and which other pieces of equipment etc worked well or didnt work well? I know you did quite a bit of research for that trip !

As for the Velbon tripod, well although i've never seen it / used it, i didnt think it could really be that stable simply due to it being $40 ! You get what you pay for, you really do.

Go for the Manfrotto 755B or 756B with a decent head and i think you'll find it a big difference.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2006, 04:25 PM   #27
Major Player

The Velbon was just a cheap try-out. And I did not want to carry a 4 kg tripod. And I do not regret that. But next-time I will take my spiderbrace. I think I would like that thing better for sightseeing.

The rest of my equipment - I do not care about the Cavision Lenshood. It falls off easily, bends in the bag if there is pressure on it.... poor quality. I like the wide-angle lens, but that is not a big surprise I guess. The Lowepro Nature Trekker II is a great bag. Good pads and really balances the load. But on my next-trip, I will take a shoulderbag for shooting as I was carrying all my equipment and only used 20% of it. The microphones, I haven't really tested them as it was too much of a hassle to put them on, off, on off. And I did not care for the sounds of the surroundings... a lot of motor noise and chatter.

This month I will start shooting the documentary about my grandmother, and I will use both microphones in that project. So I guess I will be able to share more about my equipment when that project is underway.

My end conclusion is that I do not really like filming when I am travelling. Without camera, I can see with my eyes and enjoy the beauty. With camera, I am more busy getting a nice picture instead of enjoying. And with all the tourist walking in and out of the screen, the high temperatures in italy (38 degrees celcius) and wind in many locations, shooting is very difficult. I did manage to get some nice footage.

But my next project will be a documentary, and from now on I will focus more on things with a good storyline / topic. Last year I took a digital still camera to Rome and I liked shooting pictures a lot more.

But thanks for all the feedback and I will see if I can put some footage online for everyone to see, after I have edited it.
Old August 6th, 2006, 04:42 AM   #28
Major Player

Ok, I am considering to buy one of the following two tripod setups at this moment, so I would like some feedback from the boards.

Bogen / Manfrotto 351MVB2 Aluminum Video Tripod Kit with 75mm Half Bowl and 3460 (503) Pro Head, Mid-Level Spreader, Rubber Shoes & Padded case - Supports 13.5 lb (6.1 kg) ($484 at BH Photo Video)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

and the other combination

Bogen / Manfrotto 755B MDeVe Aluminum Tripod Legs (Black) with 3460 (503) Fluid Head and Softcase - Supports 9.7 lb (4.4 kg) ($590)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

For me, the first combination looks very sturdy. Furthermore, it can take a 6kg heavier load, which is good when I switch to more proffesional equipment in the near future. Also, I have seen some professional film teams on the streets and most of them if not all of them have the type of tripod legs of the first combination, the pyramide like legs.

At the other hand, the second combination looks really flexible, is not as heavy to carry and has the quick leveling bowl. But what I have learned from my trip to Italy, is that you can look at the weight of things from a carrying perspective, but at the end, if you are taking all your gear, you need to move a lot of weight anyway.

But I am not sure which one to choose. So feedback is appreciated.
Old August 23rd, 2006, 06:59 PM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Holmes
Marc - as you own a 503 head, can i ask (i hope you say yes..) do you think it's worth the extra money over the 701RC2 and 501? Did you try all 3 heads before getting the 503 and if so, can you try to describe the smoothness of the 503 relative to the other two heads?
Also, does it bolt straight onto the 755B tripod?
thanks
I have used the 701rc2+745B, owned a 501 & currently sporting the 503+755B.

If you arent planning on upgrading to a bigger camera or arent going to be putting heavy accessories on on ur hc1/a1, id stick with the 701rc2+745b kit.

it is nice and light, as well as stable & smooth, an excellent match for the a1u/hc1.

the 501 is not a bad head but surprisingly i didnt find it as smooth as the rc2, so ultimately I bit the bullet and decided upon teh 503. Also only the 500+ series manfrotto heads have the camera mount with the stabilization pin, the 700 series did not, which was indeed something I wanted.

I chose the 503 as I plan to purchase a larger hdv camera in the future, and I am confident that the 503 can safely support a redrock m2 35 mm adapter, which I do plan on purchasing.

I chose the 755B because I liked the 745b alot with the leveling ball, but it has an additinoal leveling column that I found to be handy. However I must admit that carryign the 755B+503 is noticeably heavier then teh 7-1rc2+745b.

if u plan on upgradign ur camera or plan to tack on the accessores consider the 755b+503, otherwise imo hte 701rc2+745b will more then suffice for the a1/hc1.
Michael Y Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2006, 10:05 AM   #30
Regular Crew

The tripod quality is more critical for the HDV cameras because of the display screen size and resolution. A big of vibration that won't show in DV on a smaller screen will be much more objectionable with a larger screen and HD.

That being said, for many years I have used a combo of the Bogen Mini Fluid Head and 3021 legs. In many ways I like it better than their more expensive 501 head. You can get this head in a version with quick release system built in.

However, I prefer a Sima quick release add on, with its plastic QR camera plates. When dealing with little cams like the C1 or C3, lightening the QR plate makes a big difference.
Mark Goldberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads