Searching for a quality Tripod at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old July 25th, 2006, 05:02 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Searching for a quality Tripod

Good Morning All,

I'm seeking any and all help on finding a quality tripod between $100-$200. I have read some threads where some models of tripods, even of the same brand/type, provide different responsiveness out of the box. The cameras that will be used will be the Canon GL2. The tripods will be used for weddings and other cherished moments. Please provide the pros and cons of the brands and locations to find these important pieces of equipment. Thanks in advance.
Old July 25th, 2006, 11:30 AM   #2
Trustee

That's a tough price point, but you might consider the Manfrotto 755B MeDeVe tripod. I have one and love it, though I have to sell it due to an upgrade. It's pretty light and quick to set up, goes nice and high, and has an integrated levelling ball which is great. A bit more than you wanted to spend; It's $247 at B&H. You might find it cheaper on Ebay.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

I've read many times that if you buy a cheap tripod and head, you'll regret it later and end up buying a good one anyway, thus wasting the money you spent on the cheap one. From my own experience, this is very true. Spend the maximum you can stand and get something good. You don't mention if you need a head as well, but something like the 755B with a 503 head is the minimum I would consider.

Good luck!

Last edited by Vito DeFilippo; July 25th, 2006 at 01:29 PM.
Vito DeFilippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2006, 11:34 AM   #3
Major Player

I have the 501 head and like it OK, but as stated above I wish I had the 503. Live and learn.
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2006, 11:38 AM   #4
Major Player

Oh yea back to the original question I have the sticks above and like them, but if it's windy good luck. They are pretty light.
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2006, 08:50 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks Vito and Jerry,

I will be online tonight while I'm working my 12hr night shift to research the tripods. I have to get use to the fact that the heads are sold separately from the actual sticks. Why is this if I may ask? Anyway spending an additional $50 dollars to get quality is worth it. One of the things that I firmly believe in is making sure I have as much quality I can get for the dollar. My wife doesn't always appreciate my view on this, but you have to do things right the first time. Thanks a million.

If there are any other comments/suggetions, please keep them coming.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads