Bogen/Manfrotto 351MVB2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old July 27th, 2006, 07:39 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Bogen/Manfrotto 351MVB2

I really have to recommend this tripod/head combo package to everyone who is in the mid range price market. The kit is $495 and includes the 503 head, three stage aluminum sticks, a mid level spreader, rubber feet, and a padded bag. Its really sits in its own price range, and its the best mid-level pod I found. If you go lower, they get really cheap in design, if you go higher, they are MUCH more costly.

I am using it with my XL-H1 and it is a great combo!

Just a little recommendation for anyone in the market for a tripod like it.
Brian Critchlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 04:05 PM   #2
Tourist

sweet!

We are in the process of purchasing this for our Agency (State Agency in Hawai`i). I'm glad to hear it works great. My supervisor initially wanted to go for a more expensive combo (Bogen / Manfrotto 532ART Roadrunner 2-Stage Tripod Legs with 3460 (503) Fluid Head and Softcase). We don't do lots of studio or professional work, mainly archiving of cultural activities and areas, etc. So I'm sure we'll get more use for our money from the MVB2 set...
Scott Hovey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2006, 01:32 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi, you've talked me into it! If you don't mind, where did you get the kit for $495? I can't locate it on B&H.

Thanks!
Beth Dill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2006, 12:00 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Its funny, I have told a few people that I got it for 495 at B&H & it seems like only when I send them the direct link, they can see it.

Anyway, if you search for 351MVB2 you will get two results, the 395 unit with the 501 head and the 495 with the 503.

Well it appears their site is down right now, otherwise I would post a direct link as well.
Old August 6th, 2006, 12:24 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I'm sorry, I thought I did look fairly thoroughly. Thanks so much for the help and the recommendation. I really do appreciate it :-)
Beth Dill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2006, 02:33 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I'll second that. I have the Manfrotto version that's called the 503 (head) 525MVB (sticks). My only wish is that it was say 6" higher, for when all the guests stand up to toast the bridesmaids.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2006, 12:41 PM   #7
Major Player

Ok, I am considering to buy one of the following two tripod setups at this moment, so I would like some feedback from the boards.

Bogen / Manfrotto 351MVB2 Aluminum Video Tripod Kit with 75mm Half Bowl and 3460 (503) Pro Head, Mid-Level Spreader, Rubber Shoes & Padded case - Supports 13.5 lb (6.1 kg) ($484 at BH Photo Video)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

and the other combination

Bogen / Manfrotto 755B MDeVe Aluminum Tripod Legs (Black) with 3460 (503) Fluid Head and Softcase - Supports 9.7 lb (4.4 kg) ($590)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

For me, the first combination looks very sturdy. Furthermore, it can take a 6kg heavier load, which is good when I switch to more proffesional equipment in the near future. Also, I have seen some professional film teams on the streets and most of them if not all of them have the type of tripod legs of the first combination, the pyramide like legs.

At the other hand, the second combination looks really flexible, is not as heavy to carry and has the quick leveling bowl. But what I have learned from my trip to Italy, is that you can look at the weight of things from a carrying perspective, but at the end, if you are taking all your gear, you need to move a lot of weight anyway.

But I am not sure which one to choose. So feedback is appreciated.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2006, 12:59 PM   #8
Regular Crew

The 351MVB2 has a quick-leveling bowl too.
Old August 7th, 2006, 01:59 PM   #9
Major Player

I'll second that recommendation.

I use this combo for my HVX200. I removed the spreader, but combined with the 3156 Manfrotto dolly, all work fine for me thus far. However, I haven't yet hung more on it than the camera, battery, and shotgun mic. I'm hoping I'll be as happy once I add the weight of a Cineporter and mabe even a prompter. It seems able to deal with that added weight, but time will tell.

If you can't find it at B&H, I got mine at the $ 495 price from another vendor that is not a DVINFO sponsor, so I think I'm not supposed to mention where. (They were close enough for me to pick it up, and that was before joining in this forum).
Our actions are based on our own experience and knowledge. Thus, no one is ever totally right, nor totally wrong. We simply act from what we "know" to be true, based on that experience and knowledge. Beyond that, we pose questions to others.
Denis Danatzko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2006, 02:24 AM   #10
Major Player

About the legs, what is the difference between the two?
Old August 10th, 2006, 03:01 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Critchlow
I really have to recommend this tripod/head combo package to everyone who is in the mid range price market. The kit is $495 and includes the 503 head, three stage aluminum sticks, a mid level spreader, rubber feet, and a padded bag. Its really sits in its own price range, and its the best mid-level pod I found. If you go lower, they get really cheap in design, if you go higher, they are MUCH more costly.

I am using it with my XL-H1 and it is a great combo!

Just a little recommendation for anyone in the market for a tripod like it.
Does the 351MVB2 also has spiked feet? Or in other words, does it work great in outdoor situations or is it more suited for indoor usage?
Old August 10th, 2006, 03:37 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Yes, spiked feet or rubber soles. Must admit I use it on the rubber+spreader all the time, and kicking the spreader upward with the toe of my show means I can quickly zip to another location, legs snapped together. I'm with Brian that this is a wonderful combo.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 12:01 PM   #13
Inner Circle

zgc (one of dvinfo sponsors) has the kit for a similar price.

btw, what is the max height you can raise the camera? I need to get close to 72" occasionally.

Thanks in advance
Old August 10th, 2006, 01:44 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick
Yes, spiked feet or rubber soles. Must admit I use it on the rubber+spreader all the time, and kicking the spreader upward with the toe of my show means I can quickly zip to another location, legs snapped together. I'm with Brian that this is a wonderful combo.

tom.
So the standard combination, has both spiked feet and rubber shoes? Or are the spiked feet optional? It would be great if you could clarify this!
Old August 10th, 2006, 04:37 PM   #15
Regular Crew

It affords you the option of either spiked feet or rubber pad. It comes with both. I love mine and for the money it's unbeatable.

Cheers
Greg Watts is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads