Which of these Bogen/Manfrotto legs for PD150 or similar at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old February 28th, 2003, 01:46 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Which of these Bogen/Manfrotto legs for PD150 or similar

I'm looking for a tripod primarily for documentary work.

After much reading of the archives on this board I have decided that everyone seems to be satisified with the 503 head and that some people like the 501 and some don't. Therefore I have decided that based on budget, the 503 seems like my logical choice.

However, the legs are a little tougher. I have narrowed down 3 options and am open to additional suggestions.

1. 3221WN - I like that you can get all the way down to 7" or so. It seems best suited to use indoors and outdoors. But, it appears as if there is no ball leveler. (have to use head only). No mid-spreader either because of the column. Problem is that I don't know if I need a spreader and/or ball leveler.

2. 3182 - 75mm Claw Ball Hammer?? Seems to be a notch up from the 3221 but not sure. Also, only goes as low as 33" (almost 3 foot), so not so great for shooting close to the ground.

3. 755B - This appears to be a new product slanted to the consumer market. Only support 9.7lbs. I don't know if this will be a problem or not. Does have 50 mm ball leveler. Not sure of quality on this one.

Can anyone provide further comments on my reasoning (or lack thereof)? or otherwise shine additional light on the issue...

Thanks
Carl Slawinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2003, 04:02 PM   #2
Major Player

I have a PD150 with the 3182 tripod (sticks) and 501 head and it is a very good entry level kit, reasonably priced, that is similar to the style used in most professional applications. It will go lower than three feet, but not as low as some other models. Professionals never expect one set of sticks to fit all situations, and carry "sawed-offs" (very short sticks) and "high hats" to mount the head in very low situations. Bogen also sells these items. This model also accepts optional mid-level spreaders and a Bogen dollly. I highly recommend this set.

The 3221 is actually built for packing into the wilderness with a still camera. You can use it for video, but it lacks some of the features that you get with tripods designed for video, rather than still photography. For example, the 3221 is a single leg design. That's because with still photography you are not concerned with panning the camera during a shot. The double leg design of the 3182 and others is meant to keep the tripod in place during the torque from panning. Again, the center elevator column is a still photography gag, that is not popular with professional video people because of the torque applied to the column. Some news people like the center column design because it takes up less space in a gang of news camerapeople. Additionally, this design eliminates the ball head, which is very handy to level the camera quickly.

The 755 is an interesting design, but I think it looks a bit flimsy. It answers the ball head problem on a elevator column tripod, but I would be wary. Obviously, I have not seen it, so I won't speculate anymore.

If it was easy, they'd get a relative to do it.
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2003, 04:07 PM   #3
Air China Pilot

I just put together a Bogen package last month for my XL1S.

503 head, 351 single-stage legs, 350 spreader.

351 legs:
http://www.manfrotto.com/products/me...ontatore=primo

load: 95cm 84cm 155cm 3.60Kg 20.00Kg

I'm pretty happy with it - but I've only used it for a month.
Old February 28th, 2003, 04:31 PM   #4
Major Player

Actually, Keith, that is the same set I am referring to. 351MV is the Manfrotto code number, and 3182 is the Bogen number in black. Bogen is the name for Manfrotto in the United States. Same product.

If it was easy, they'd get a relative to do it.
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2003, 04:34 PM   #5
Air China Pilot

Yeah, I was just adding my voice. I know about the Bogen / Manfrotto thing which is why I said I "I just put together a Bogen package". I didn't know it was exactly the same set, though.
Old February 28th, 2003, 07:26 PM   #6
Wrangler

I have the 3221WN with the 501 head and like both. This was recently discussed elsewhere (in the PD-150 group I think). My only complaint about the 3221 is the spring-loaded leg locks. That's a really powerful spring and you need to excercise great care when opening and closing. Very easy to pinch or bruise a finger, even if you're being careful!...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads