Head Loosens up at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old October 4th, 2006, 08:02 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Head Loosens up

I have a 503 Bogen head along with other heads that have a tendency to loosen up.

I put the head on tight as I could and had the screws in, but after banging around in the trunk of my car the screws tend to fall out and the head will loosen up at the worst times. For example, right before a wedding. Pan right fine pan left head has no drag and it starts to unscrew. Try to tighten it and the fluid head turns instead, leaving the head still loose. Luckily I was able to secure it with Gaffer tape.

Anyone knows how to prevent the head from loosening?
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2006, 08:34 PM   #2
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofran
I have a 503 Bogen head along with other heads that have a tendency to loosen up.

I put the head on tight as I could and had the screws in, but after banging around in the trunk of my car the screws tend to fall out and the head will loosen up at the worst times. For example, right before a wedding. Pan right fine pan left head has no drag and it starts to unscrew. Try to tighten it and the fluid head turns instead, leaving the head still loose. Luckily I was able to secure it with Gaffer tape.

Anyone knows how to prevent the head from loosening?
Remove the set screws that keep the head from unthreading and put a drop of Loctite Blue. This is a semi-permanent thread locking solution. You can get it at your local auto parts store.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2006, 10:58 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Weddings. - springtime, summertime, autumn time - trunk warm, operating environment warm.

Likely time of maintenance, after dark, appliance cool or cold when parts assembled and tightened down.

If it ever comes apart after the locktite, try warming (not heating) the appliance or leaving it in the trunk on a warm day before taking it inside for re-tightening the screws.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2006, 04:46 PM   #4
Inner Circle

thx guys. locktight it is. (wait a sec, on the set screws or on the main head screw? or both?)

Why doesn't Bogen have a better way to secure the head? In my opinion the set screws should go into the head. For those who change heads often could opt not use the set screws. I mean who needs to remove the head on a regular basis? Seems like they have their priorities backwards.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads