Size of screw thread on Manfrotto/Bogen 503 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old December 28th, 2006, 02:50 PM   #1
Major Player

Size of screw thread on Manfrotto/Bogen 503

Hi,
Can anyone tell me what size the screw thread is, where the pan bar/arm screws onto the tripod head? I want to try attaching another accessory onto the head using this screw thread but I'm having difficulty finding the correct screw size
Paul Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2007, 09:39 AM   #2
Regular Crew

It's a 1/4 x 20 bolt. I'm doing the same thing by mounting my 5" LCD monitor to it.
James Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2007, 02:30 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks James
Paul Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2007, 03:38 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Unless the 503 head is different from my 501, the bolt that holds the pan bar onto the head (thru the toothed rosetta clamp) is a 8mm x 1.25mm pitch bolt. I just recently went thru this when building a "sled" to mount my microtrack recorder to the un-used side of the head. The only 1/4-20 thread I've found on the 501 head is the one that screws into the camera to hold it to the quick-connect dovetailed slide.

As I mentioned though, mine is a 501; looking at B&H site, that part looks the same... Steve
Steve Leverich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2007, 04:34 PM   #5
Major Player

Wouldn't it be nice and helpful...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Jefferies
Hi,
Can anyone tell me what size the screw thread is, where the pan bar/arm screws onto the tripod head? I want to try attaching another accessory onto the head using this screw thread but I'm having difficulty finding the correct screw size
...if that info was included in the meager documentation that comes with the head? I've also considered using the screw hole identified as an "M10" size to attach things at the top of the single leg-frame, but I'm not sure what "M10" means. At least the documentation mentions that the hole is for a carry strap.

Personally, I can't understand why Bogen/Manfrotto finds it so hard to include that in the printed material.

If you find the correct size, please report back. I'd certainly be interested in knowing what it is.
Our actions are based on our own experience and knowledge. Thus, no one is ever totally right, nor totally wrong. We simply act from what we "know" to be true, based on that experience and knowledge. Beyond that, we pose questions to others.
Denis Danatzko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2007, 07:50 AM   #6

M10 means metric 10mm-there are 2 pitch sizes to metric threads. get both at the hardware store to validate which thread pitch. I would assume it's the coarse thread.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2007, 08:38 AM   #7
Major Player

THANK YOU, Bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ravens
M10 means metric 10mm-there are 2 pitch sizes to metric threads. get both at the hardware store to validate which thread pitch. I would assume it's the coarse thread.
That's a big help. Now I hope to be able to fashion some sort of connection for peripherals. I think I'd rather attach a small monitor with that screw instead of a typical shoe mount.

If others have done the same, I'd appreciate photos of how it was done.
Our actions are based on our own experience and knowledge. Thus, no one is ever totally right, nor totally wrong. We simply act from what we "know" to be true, based on that experience and knowledge. Beyond that, we pose questions to others.
Denis Danatzko is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads