DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Tripod Sticks & Heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/)
-   -   Tripod suggestions for Canon XH A1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/84267-tripod-suggestions-canon-xh-a1.html)

Jayson Corcoran August 13th, 2008 12:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I bought the 190XPROB with 804RC2 head

Jack Walker August 13th, 2008 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karim Amanali (Post 920129)
quick question for anyone, I too am looking for a desent tripod but I need something that would have wheels so i can move the tripod along. I havent seen many with wheels on legs or is it something that one can attach to any tripod. I am interested in the Libec 38 for my soon to be XH A1.

Thank you.

The wheels are usually referred to as a "dolly." They are separate from the tripod.

There are several listed here that are made by bogen:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...arch&Q=*&bhs=t

Some match tripods exactly, and others are more universal and suitable for various tripods.

Bogen makes both kinds. Libec makes wheels that fit their tripods. Cartoni has dollies that match their tripods, etc.

A long time ago I bought a Velbon video tripod and later bought the dolly wheels that matched it.

David Beisner August 18th, 2008 10:41 AM

From everything I've read, the Libec 38 is an excellent match for the XHA1. I had requested it at work, but they bought me the cheap Bogen 055XB with the 301 head and it sucks. Stay away from those sticks with the XHA1! They'd probably work great for stills or with a tiny camcorder, but not with anything as big as the A1.

Roger Lee August 23rd, 2008 07:32 PM

Anything less than a $600 Libec 38 for A-1?

I own the A-1 and shoot video as a hobby.. I bought the A-1 for the 20X zoom and all the available features as I shoot wildlife. I couldn't be happier with this camera for what I want to do.

The tripod that I own is an el cheapo for still camera and I am impressed at what it can do with the A-1 on it. Well, I should say it holds the A-1 steady if I don't touch the A-1.

I don't need to do a lot of panning and tilting. If I could find something heavy that would hold the A-1 and keep it solid so that it would hold a steady image when I zoomed, and costs less than $600 - $700 I would probably buy it.

At this point, I'm close to buying the the Libec 38 as I've heard nothing but good things about it. However, if I could buy something heavy(that I wouldn't move much) that would hold the A-1 steady...well that sounds good to me.

Any suggestions for something less than $600? If it's heavy and I don't move it much...I don't care.

If I don't find an alternative, I'll buy the LS-38.

Thanks

Rog Lee

Andy Wilkinson August 24th, 2008 03:42 AM

In my opinion you'll do no better than the Libec LS38 unless you want to significantly increase that budget. Trying to save a couple of hundred $ on a lesser option would, in my opinion be a mistake you'll regret in the long run - don't forget that the tripod will last longer than your current camera too.

They are superbly made, well engineered items and have excellent stability yet are not too heavy to lug around.

Libecs punch way above their weight, yet, surprisingly (to me) are often not held with the regard that they deserve/overlooked in the rush to buy Vintens etc. I can vouch (as others have done on here) that their after sales service is also second to none - should you ever have a problem.

My vote is for a LS38 - you won't be disappointed with it!

Vasco Dones August 24th, 2008 10:41 AM

Roger,

the lighter but perfectly reasonable alternative is the Libec LS-22
(comes in several flavors: 22(2A), 22(M), 22M(2A): check'em out)
Works perfectly with my A1, it's cheaper than the 38, it's lighter,
and (in case you have to fly around) you can unscrew the head and the
whole thing will fit into a regular piece of luggage
(not a small advantage, these days...)

Best

Vasco

Eric Lagerlof August 24th, 2008 01:28 PM

I have not had an opportunity to work with Libecs but as a much less expensive alternative I would suggest the Manfrotto/Bogen 701RC2 head, with whatever legs you like that will work with it.

Because of family needs, I was not able to spend but a few bucks for my FX_1 package, so I went with the 701. Having shot on Vintens and Sachtlers quite a bit, I can say that while the 701RC2 is not in there class it is pretty damned smooth. And while it doesn't have a bowl mount for leveling, it does have a slide mount for balancing the camera position for front/back heavy adjustments. For its price, (around $200-300 with sticks), it's pretty amazing.

Roger Lee August 25th, 2008 06:26 PM

Thanks all for the help.

I've also been looking at a Libec LS-22 but it's a ground spreader...not sure I'd like that.

thanks again all.

Rog Lee

Josh Chesarek August 25th, 2008 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Lee (Post 924813)
Thanks all for the help.

I've also been looking at a Libec LS-22 but it's a ground spreader...not sure I'd like that.

thanks again all.

Rog Lee

Roger, look at the models listed above in Vasco Dones post, A, M, etc.

The M stands for the Mid level spreader I think.

David Thanh August 25th, 2008 10:48 PM

701HDV Head and XHA1

Bogen / Manfrotto | 701HDV Pro Fluid Video Mini Head | 701HDV

Ok ok... before everyone tells me that this is a bad idea- I currently have a 501 head that I am sort of happy with, but still wish it was a little smoother. However, I am going on a 7 day backpacking trip with huge elevation gains and need to pack all of my own equipment. I have 745 legs and would like to shave some weight off of my 501 head. Has anyone tried the Manfrotto 701HDV head (with the 501 plate) and the XHA1? I know it won't be ideal, but I'm really hoping that it will work and save me almost 2 lbs. Can I get away with it???

Paul W. Hazeltine August 26th, 2008 01:52 AM

Unless I am misunderstanding your post the 701 & 501 plates are not interchangable.

Paul W. H

Bill Busby August 26th, 2008 02:19 AM

FWIW, the B&H specs lists the same plate (501PL) for either head, but I also don't understand the original poster making that an issue to begin with. If it's the same plate with a new head, so be it. If it isn't you use the plate that comes with the new head... no?

David Thanh August 26th, 2008 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Thanh (Post 924895)
Bogen / Manfrotto | 701HDV Pro Fluid Video Mini Head | 701HDV

Has anyone tried the Manfrotto 701HDV head (with the 501 plate) and the XHA1? I know it won't be ideal, but I'm really hoping that it will work and save me almost 2 lbs. Can I get away with it???

I guess I took too long to get to the gist of the question: Has anyone tried this head with the XHA1 and is it workable or is the XHA1 too heavy.

Vasco Dones August 26th, 2008 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Chesarek (Post 924825)
Roger, look at the models listed above in Vasco Dones post, A, M, etc.

The M stands for the Mid level spreader I think.

Yes:
LS22M = 1-stage tripod, mid level spreader
LS22M(2A) = 2-stage tripod, mid level spreader
LS22 = 1-stage tripod, ground spreader
LS22(2A) = 2-stage tripod, ground spreader

(their "branding & naming" division needs a reshuffle, IMHO)

Best

Vasco

Jake McGlothlin August 27th, 2008 03:22 PM

I need a really sturdy tripod for my xh a1. I am going to be shooting footage from the middle of a river on most occasions, so I was thinking something with carbon fiber legs to help absord some of the vibration. A fluid head would be a great help. Any suggestions?