Strictly considering ONLY smoothness of pans, which fluid head would you recommend? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 7th, 2007, 10:46 AM   #16
Wrangler

I went shopping for a Sachtler Video 18 or 20 in December. I got to try every head I wanted in Burbank, in person.

I wound up buying an O'Connor 1030.
Old March 16th, 2007, 08:03 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Le View Post
But unlike any other head out there, the counterbalance could be dialed continuously all the way down to zero. You could even balance an HV10 on it..... OConnors are meant for the slower, more controlled pace of film style or studio shooting.
That's a neat feature ! I did not realize anyone had an infinite c/b.... I'm currently using an A1 on Miller Arrow 30 just for the super drag factor - makes everything look so easy even at full zoom. I keep the balance compensation off as even with minimum tilt dialed in the camera is rock steady.

I'll check out an Ultimate if I can find one. Thanks!
Jay Fisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 08:36 AM   #18
Wrangler

I'm a two-time O'Connor owner (1030 and the 2575, which is the film industry standard head) and I have yet to see a head that improves on theirs from a performance perspective. But yes, you will pay a significant premium.
Old May 7th, 2007, 05:25 PM   #19
New Boot

Although I do agree about the pan smoothness on an OConnor, I find the tilt something I am always fighting against. It tends to always want to be level, whether I like it or not. The pan bar knobs tend to break constantly as well.

I like the Vinten in many respects, but don't like messing around with the springs. I use both JVC HD100 cameras as well as DVC-Pro. The Vinten can't handle both cameras well with one spring.

I, admittedly, have little experience with the Sachtler.

I tried a small Miller and hated it. It could've just been too small.

I have only had the Cartoni Focus for a few months, so I can't attest to any long term issues mentioned above, but so far, it is a fantastic head. It balances perfectly and easily. Within moments, I can balance between cameras, and tilt to any point in it's range, and it sits perfectly still. Pan is very smooth, and the tension adjustment is very gradual and precise. I just hope I don't run into any of those "long term issues."
Scott R. Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads