Which tripod are you using with the Canon XL-H1? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old February 21st, 2007, 02:04 PM   #16
Major Player

I found the Miller Solo DV legs. Why have you chosen these legs? Other people also chose the Miller Solo DV legs in combination with another head. So what makes them special/good? And how is the Miller DS-20 head?

I am convinced about the Satchler but I would like to learn a little bit more about other brands before I make a decision.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2007, 05:41 PM   #17
Regular Crew

If it was mainly studio's, it was not the obvious choice, but for remote areas, rocks, ice, uneven ground this non-spreader system works very well. It is the 1501 carbon version with nice soft grip material so even in freezing cold artic situations it feels nice in your hands. No mid- or ground spreader, you can fold the legs almost horizontal in a way the head is close to the ground, or you can use a mid to almost closed leg position. You have reach (23 cm like a baby -head) up to 1.62 meters. Up to 20 kg for the legs.

Nice sharp spikes and rubber feet and lightweight overall. For fast transfers up and down I prefer a normal 'click' system but the Miller uses concentric locks on the tubes, but you get used on that.

The head is a sturdy Sachtler 6SB, that is a great head, good friction and built quality. That head survives many cams. No lightweight this Sachtler. The transport length 70 cm for the Miller is a strong point too.

I don't use the Miller 20 head it is not the same leage as this Sachtler but I think it is ok.
Raymond Toussaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2007, 03:07 PM   #18
Major Player

I already found the specifications of the Miller Solo DV legs. Thanks. Does anyone have experience with the Libec LS-70 head/tripod?
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 06:36 PM   #19
Major Player

Ok, I have done some research and I have narrowed it down to the following two models:

Libec LS-70 (2C):
- 100mm
- Load: 6 - 15kg
- Weight: 8.2kg or 7.8kg (carbon)
- Max height: 157cm
- Min height: 78.5cm
- 4 step counter balance
Price: £1,199.00 ex VAT

Sachtler DV-6 SB / 2D
- 75mm
- Load: 1 - 9kg
- Weight: 5.6kg or 5.4kg (carbon)
- Max height: 160cm
- Min height: 70cm
- 10 step counter balance
- Price: £1,060.00 ex VAT

I think the Sachter DV-6 SB / 2D will give me the most value for my money. It is also the lightest tripod of the two. Unless someone can convince me to choose the Libec LS-70 because the 100mm bowl... it will be Sachtler.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads