Suggestions for good tripod in the $500 range at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 22nd, 2007, 11:44 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Suggestions for good tripod in the $500 range

I'm looking for a good solid tripod in the $500 - $600 range. I already have a pan head which is fine for my intended use with my GL-2. I've been using a carbon fiber photo tripod, but it's a bit more "wiggly" than I'd like when panning etc. Fine for the still camera, but...

Weight and max extension are considerations, but no specific requirement. The camera is really light, but I'd want a tripod that would be OK to weight down a bit for stability. I'd generally be using it within a few hundred yards of a vehicle, so ultra light weight isn't necessary, although it would be nice.

I'd also want a levelling ball, but no strong feeling re 75 vs 100 mm.

Any suggestions much appreciated.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 11:47 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Sorry to post again - I just forgot to click the "subscribe to replies" button.
Old April 8th, 2007, 04:01 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Libec

I'm happy with my Libec tripod.
Old April 8th, 2007, 02:50 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Which model do you have?
Old April 8th, 2007, 03:23 PM   #5
Major Player

In case you're interested, there's a similar question here where someone asks about tripods in a similar price range:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=90821

From that thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Warner View Post
As an amateur I know from my own experience that without a good video head (I have a good Manfrotto tripod) it's really hard to get good-looking footage. The Manfrotto 503 ($275) looks good to me. But if there were something for $500 or so which would be much better I'd get it.
David Garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2007, 10:52 PM   #6
Regular Crew

great sub $500 (us) tripod

if you are looking for a sub $500 tripod have a look the Manfrotto 351mvb2 with 503 head, great tripod for the price. I paid $495 from Adorama (sorry not one of the sites advertisers but it would be available for BH). http://www.adorama.com/BG503351MVB2....1mvb&item_no=2
Andrew Fraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 01:11 AM   #7
Regular Crew

libec

I just bought a Libec T58 legs with an H22 DV head from www.zotzdigital.com (sponsor!) It was $400 with the HX A1, ($450 without, I think). I like that it has a ball mount for easy leveling. It came with the floor spreaders and a carry bag. With the adjustable plate, my HX A1 balances well on top.

I had the opportunity to use a $6,000 Sachtler this weekend, too. Besides being built for a heavier camera than an HX A1, it had 8 settings for pan drag and 8 settings for tilt drag. Obviously a very solid tripod. By comparison, the Libec has a medium touch on the drag but just as smooth.

My first tripod was a Bogan with a 3130 head. It didn't have a true fluid head, so it would grab a little. Also, the legs were actually designed for still photography with a flat plate head, even though it had a bubble level.

By contrast, the Libec is very much a performer. Set up the legs, loosen the ball, level and attach the camera. It is a true video tripod.

Last edited by Doug Lange; April 10th, 2007 at 01:19 AM. Reason: more to add about the Libec
Doug Lange is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads