type of tripod you use at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old May 7th, 2003, 06:04 PM   #1
Tourist

type of tripod you use

I’m curious, what kind of tripod do some of you use for your dvx-100? And are you happy with it? I'm looking to spend between $300 and $600 for a really nice one and am open for recommendations. Thanks for any info you can provide.
Susan Highsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2003, 06:57 PM   #2
Outer Circle

The tripod forum would be a better place to post this. So, one of the moderator's will most likely move it over there.

I don't own a DVX100, but I have the Manfrotto #175B legs and #136 head. If you want something real nice, I suggest looking at the Miller DS5.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2003, 06:59 AM   #3
Major Player

Susan, please read the thread started by Danny Dale entitled "can't decide on a tripod"... you should see it very close to this one.

It starts off mainly on higher-end pods like vinten and satchler, but then BG and I put in our .02 on the Gitzo setup.

I guess everybody's different with taste and budget, but the more research I did the more I raised my budget, just a bit at a time.

The head is probably the most important part of the tripod system you decide on. If you follow the route Brendan and I took you'll have a lightweight pod that goes really low, high as any "non-column" pod, fast and simple to set up, with an incredible head to boot... all for about $800 (with aluminum legs).

Before you flinch at this price (which you shouldn't if it's for a DVX100) do some research. I don't remember what triggered me to get a new pod... but it was some shooting frustration I had a couple months ago. My old pod is a Bogen 3021pro... from when they didn't use ANY plastic... with a 3130 head. I always thought it was a decent setup but it let me down occasionally. You could have a pod like that for less then $250 including bag... it's worth every penny, but not much more.

If you stay in the range of your upper spending limit you will get a leveler (a Godsend if there ever was one), sturdy and versatile legs with HIGH capacity combined with light weight, and MUCH smoother pan/tilt action in the head... My original budget was $400... after a few days internet research it became $600 (reluctantly)... after a few more days research it became $800 but rather then feeling irritated at myself for pushing the budget I felt happy and excited about making an educated decision.

Realize that a good pod will most likely last your entire lifetime and that it will effect your output quality EVERY time you use it. I feel that spending more on a pod is a no-brainer... Along with mics and lights, a pod is one of those items that will never become obsolete. Ever.

I had my old 3021pro/3130 combo for 8 YEARS... it still looked brand new when I sold it for 75% of what I paid...
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads