can't decide on tripod... - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 11th, 2003, 10:34 AM   #31
Warden

What is the likelihood you are going to end up with two different cameras?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2003, 11:21 AM   #32
Regular Crew

i've been getting into DV more and more. originally i bought the GL1 for work to document destructive investigations of building/residence envelopes...all the mold stuff that is going around...we open up the walls and ceilings while we leak test windows/roofs/doors and document how water gets into the building. couldn't capture the water coming in with stills like i can with video and i needed something good since the footage ends up in court cases. i love the size of the GL1 for this kind of work. i also started filming live concert footage of a band here in austin and am working on the interview footage to accompany the live stuff. i see myself doing more of this and i need another camera..something better..possibly the not yet XL2 or something along the XL1s size...24/30 progressive...ability to change lenses...bigger chips and such. not in any hurry, but i will upgrade. that is why i want to plan ahead and make sure that the system i buy can be used with it...i know that it is wrong to plan for something not yet available, but i'm assuming that the XL2 will be similar in weight to the XL1s. so, yes i'll have two different cameras at some point.

danny
Danny Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2003, 02:31 PM   #33
Regular Crew

In the final analysis, you're still talking about very small, very light DV cams -- none of which are going to put much stress or strain on any head/tripod combination you ultimately wind up with.

Having tried the Miller DS-5, the Sachtler DV-4, and the Vinten "Pro 5" (hard to find) I can honestly say that the Gitzo G1380 (or Bogen 505, if you prefer) simply thumped them all for feel on both pan and tilt, as well as overall quality. The others seemed to have a lot of plastic, where the Gitzo is all metal.

That said, I never would've bought the Gitzo for the going B&H price of (today) $849 sans tripod (another $500 minimum). When I stumbled across the deal from Henry's in Toronto I jumped! Who wouldn't have for $338?!

Up until that point it was between the Miller DS-5 w/DS-2 sticks, the Vinten "Pro 5," or the Sachtler DV-4"II". I wanted the Gitzo, but not for the extra money. I'm no pro, but it's clear the Gitzo has a much more durable feel to it and it supports up to 22 pounds with interchangeable counterbalance springs where no such weight or flexibility is supported with the others.
Old May 12th, 2003, 05:48 PM   #34
Warden

The Sachtler DV4 lacks a mid-level spreader option (to the best of my knowledge). It's drag settings are too few. The Miller DS-5 is too small for the XL series in my opinion. Does it have a mid-level spreader option? The Vinten Pro 5 is an older model, the 3 and 6 are current (couldn't find the 5 on the web site). The six would be the way to go for me. Mid-level spreader, infinitely variable drag, tilt +/- 90° But probably too much money. The head alone is around $1,500. So, where does all this lead you. If you can try a couple and see what feels the best to you. May somebody in our town rents one or two of the tripods. They'll let you at least touch and feel for free.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2003, 02:40 PM   #35
Regular Crew

well, i finally decided.....it's Miller time! i ordered the DS10 2-stage with case from BnH. it ended up being a financial choice. in order to get a Sachtler with a mid-level spreader i would have to get the DV8 (which was too much), and the Vinten Vision 3 with a mid-level spreader would cost an additional $600 (which was way too much). i ended up going with the lower priced Miller and ordered a Sennheiser ME 66/K6 with some accessories as well....

thanx to all who gave their input,

danny
Danny Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2003, 02:52 PM   #36
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Good for you, Danny! I don't think you'll be disappointed. I think the DS-10 is the best overall value in its load range and would be hard-pressed to relinquish mine. The DS-10 was reportedly designed specifically with the original XL1 in mind.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2004, 01:14 AM   #37
Regular Crew

For those considering the Gitzo G-1338 system (G1325 legs, G1380 Head, case, self-leveling ball insert) at $1600 street price, think twice. The head is not as smooth as a Sachtler DV-6 or DV-8. The drag feels different at certain points in the revolution, and it also varies whether you are going clockwise or counterclockwise. Locking down the head in the pan or tilt axis is also a royal pain in the butt. Two very balky levers have to be set in place. They even put the pan bar in wrong. Maybe it's the Manfrotto influence causing a degradation in quality, but I'm disappointed enough in the system that I'm returning it to B&H. As great as the legs are, and as brilliant an idea as the self-leveling system is, the head just does not measure up.
Marc Young is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads