Gitzo levelling bases at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old July 2nd, 2007, 04:59 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Gitzo levelling bases

Hello,

I'm using Gitzo 1410 paired to a Bogen 3460 (503) Fluid video head. I'd like to convert to a levelling base. Just talked to B&H rep and am told there are two options

1) Gitzo 1321 single unit ($185)
2) Gitzo 1422 bowl ($45) and Bogen 3284 ball ($45).

He recommended go with the latter, even though it's half the price, as it permits more range of correction

My questions:

Anyone have a recommendations of one route over the other?

Anyone confirm that either/both of these scenarios will indeed work with my setup. Sales rep didn't sound convincing when I asked if he was sure.

Thanks

Last edited by Brett Cole; July 2nd, 2007 at 06:22 PM.
Brett Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2007, 08:31 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Bogen Base

I use this Bogen base between my 503 head and a set of Manfrotto legs, works great, and not expensive. B+H sales rep was unfamilliar with it, I found it on my own.
Bogen 3502 Compact Levelling Head
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/203536-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto_3502_3502_Ball_Camera_Leveller.html[/url]
Richard Siberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2007, 12:16 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Siberry View Post
I use this Bogen base between my 503 head and a set of Manfrotto legs, works great, and not expensive. B+H sales rep was unfamilliar with it, I found it on my own.
Bogen 3502 Compact Levelling Head
Does this adapter have a ball base? or is the bottom flat to go on flat-topped legs? It looks like this adapter is for flat top legs:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Leveller.html

Regarding the choices in the original post:

The Gitzo legs need an adapter to go to a 75mm ball.

The Gitzo solution has the adapter and the ball mount all built into the same piece. It appears the Gitzo levels with the small side arm sticking out the back:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...evel_Base.html

In contrast, with the Bogen/Gitzo solution, the Gitzo adapter is a separate piece that sits on the Gitzo Studex legs and the Bogen levelel sits in this and the adjustment is made by loosening the bottom long handle and moving the whole unit around. This it appears (as the B&H salesman says) will give the Bogen/Gitzo setup more range of admustment. This link has both parts on the same page, one as the main item and the other as an accessory:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Interface.html

I have the Bogen leveler (100mm) and it works fine. It appears that the Gitzo leveler would work fine, too, in a one piece unit, but with less range of motion (but this can be fixed easily with leg adjunstment, which is easy to do on the Gitzo legs). The Gitzo one-piece solution also has a built-in level, but there is probably a level already on your head. (Will you be using heads without a level built-in?) And one other difference is the Bogen/Gitzo combo will weigh close to a pound (.77 lb. for the Bogen piece plus the adapter) and the Gitzo single piece weighs .5 lb.

Here are the highligts:

Bogen/Gitzo combo: two pieces, not 100% Gitzo, a little heavier, no level, greater range of motion.

Gitzo: one piece, 100% Gitzo, a little lighter, built-in level, less range of motion.

In general, the ball will become a part of your head (many heads are built with a ball as part of the unit). With the Gitzo if you take it off the legs, you have one piece. With the Bogen combo, if you take it off the legs you will have the adapter rattling around loose.

(Note: while some Gitzo and Bogen parts are interchangeable, some are not. For example, plates seem to be, but the threads on pan handles are not.)
Jack Walker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads