Diving at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old November 8th, 2007, 03:54 AM   #1
Major Player

Diving

Hi all,

I know this is off topic but I've noticed there are a few divers on this board. I was just wondering about details: Diver organisations represented? Dive level? Equipment used etc...

I'll start.

I'm a member of the SAA and as such a member of CMAS. I'm an Open Water Diver / CMAS 2*. I'm also a member of PADI and Advanced Openwater with them.

I dive mostly around North Wales which is cold but the visibility is sometimes very good, and there's plenty to see. Ofcourse I holiday in Egypt! ;-)

I'm a firm believer that if you go diving the equipment could save your life so don't go cheap as such I used Aquatek Dry Suits, Poseidon Xtream Duration Regulators and Greenforce Torches, also, my computer is a Mares Nemo.

I have done some diving at night, which could help with the current UWOL challenge but I don't own any particular good underwater camera gear. Just my Panasonic GS75 and an Epic Housing, which isn't weighted so I need to invest in some roofing lead to help get it down! If anyone is ever planning to visit North Wales the two inland dive sites I have to recommend are Vivian Quarry in Llanberis and Dorothea Quarry in Caernarfon. Dorothea has been in the media alot due to quite a few casualties there, but at the end of the day, it's only water and in itself not inherently dangerous, it just happens to be very deep. Dont let the medias depiction of the "Quarry of DEATH!!!!" put you off. Typical tabloid sensationalism.

Anyway that's me as a diver hope to hear from more of you guys soon.

Tata

Dave
Dave Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 04:30 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Dave and everyone else…

I’m a PADI Dive Master and IANTD adv. EANx diver. I worked as a diveguide and videographer in Thailand during two years and it was there I found my passion; to educate people about the environment and wildlife. Me divegear is tech oriented ‘cause I do also dive caves (this is a Swedish divegroup that I dive and video with, sorry the website are in Swedish but this is the link to our video archive, the last three are my productions). So the gear I’m using is twintank and Apeaks regs(Interesting that you Dave use Swedish gear and I use English…), Ursuit redQ drysuit and some times stage tanks/deco tank too (cavediving).
The video gear I use are XL2 (3xWide or 20xStock), Gates housing, 2x35W Xenon light (homemade).
Because I dive in cave I’m pretty calm about nightdive, the thing I would suggest before any one goes in the water in night are; 1 Know the spot, don’t go diving is a spot that you don’t know in daylight. 2 don’t go deep (if it is not the only way of getting the shots you what). 3 If it is a divespot that have lots of current, make sure that you know the way back and know more that one exit point if go get lost from the primary exit point. 4 (most important) IF it dose NOT feel go in any way, DO NOT GO DIVING! For safety, always keep some one on the surface as a lookout.
Nightdives are really cool, the sea change totally compare to day. Everything gets really spooky, I love it!

This is me… and my thoughts about diving at night in cold conditions (I love when the ice cold water bites in to your cheeks).

Markus Nord
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 11:17 AM   #3
Major Player

Hello,

PADI Instructor. Diving since 1992 (originally certified NAUI when living in Texas). Lots of underwater video. Currently use a L&M Mako housing (with all the trimmings) for a Sony DCR SC-100 miniDV camcorder.

Feel very fortunate moving from the UK to North Carolina 10 years ago. Now I am just 3 hours from some of the best wreck diving in the world with fantastic visibility and sea life. I especially love the Sand Tiger sharks that like to come within a couple of feet - more so when the video lights are on!

Lo-res sample on youtube: http://youtube.com/watch?v=tnOuDMFQe20

John.
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 03:35 PM   #4
Trustee

I'm a BSAC member and 1 day away from Sports Diver. I've been diving for about 18 months and done about 25 open water dives. I've done a few hours with the club UW rig, its only a Hi8 rig but it's given me a good taster to UW video.....and definitely want more !

I've never done a night dive however about a month ago we dived off New Haven and the weather hadn't been great for a week before. We got to 23M and it was ZERO vis....and I mean pitch black zero, not even the torch helped much because the light just bounces off all the crud! It was certainly an experience....but as we said at the time it can only get better :-)

Nice footage John..you must have been excited....and nervous!
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2007, 09:13 PM   #5
Trustee

John!

Wow, Wow, Wow, Wow, WOW!

My name is Cat Russell and I am landlocked here in Colorado, USA. That footage was amazing! I have, all tolled, logged maybe less than 6 hours of snorkeling all my life, but I sure appreciate footage like that (the You Tube one)! The closest I've come to a shark is several years ago I worked as an atmosperic scientist at NOAA and did several "scientific ship cruises" with work. We would be out at sea for 6 weeks at a shot and we always begged for a "swim call". It never happened, on all the cruises I've been on because on a previous cruise, at the end of a study, crystal clear day, mirror water... they allowed a swim call and immediately after everyone jumped in the water, a shark honed in... all got back to safety but before pulling in one girl into a patrolling raft they had a tug of war with her and the shark... they pulled her in, but the shark got her leg from the hip.

Why do the fish swim with the shark? Everywhere it went, so did the fish?

Just wondering, and thanks!

Cat

P.S. Mat: Leave it to you to be so multi dimensional! ;-)! How many other subjects are you master of?
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2007, 08:01 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Diving

hi Dave,
I've been diving since 1965 in lakes & oceans. Lakes are relatively straight forward whereas the ocean, boy, that's another caper. Where I am there are very strong currents & that requires some thinking especially for solo diving. I know I'm gonna get flak here but I prefer to dive without a buoyancy compensator because of the drag. Equilibrium is no problem as I use the same equipment every time which causes me absolutely no problems with buoyancy.
I usually start the dive 15 minutes before Slack Tide which gives me pretty well no current during the dive. If the current is a little strong I use a ski rope attached to the anchor chain. If the current is very strong I have a cold beer instead. This requires some planning also when the strong currents are on for several days.
happy diving
Hubert Hofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 09:38 AM   #7
Major Player

Anyone here ever dived in Iceland? My girlfriend and I are interested in checking out the Silfra crack.
Old November 22nd, 2007, 03:12 AM   #8
Major Player

For diver

Ther is a film on divefilm.com for the all ho love nature.DivefilmHD by
Chuck Niclin`s episode 11.It´s realy a impressive film and so colorful.
And some fantastic macros.

VV.

Weblink:http://divefilm.com/

Download free iTunes for Ipod TV

Last edited by Vidar Vedaa; November 22nd, 2007 at 03:48 AM. Reason: Forgot the link
Vidar Vedaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2007, 10:47 AM   #9
Major Player

Click this link.

You will understand why I want to film the Silfra.

http://www.dive.is/Diving_Iceland.php?page=Silfra
Old November 26th, 2007, 10:50 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubert Hofer View Post
hi Dave,
I've been diving since 1965 in lakes & oceans. Lakes are relatively straight forward whereas the ocean, boy, that's another caper. Where I am there are very strong currents & that requires some thinking especially for solo diving. I know I'm gonna get flak here but I prefer to dive without a buoyancy compensator because of the drag. Equilibrium is no problem as I use the same equipment every time which causes me absolutely no problems with buoyancy.
I usually start the dive 15 minutes before Slack Tide which gives me pretty well no current during the dive. If the current is a little strong I use a ski rope attached to the anchor chain. If the current is very strong I have a cold beer instead. This requires some planning also when the strong currents are on for several days.
happy diving
To be honest I've never heard of anyone diving without a BC. How do you attach the cylinder to yourself? Do you use some kind of wing design without the bladder fitted?

To be honest although it is frowned upon I do enjoy diving solo too. Although when I'm filming I tend to dive with a buddy to help carry some gear, and also hold on to me so I can remain stationary and still have two hands free.
Old November 26th, 2007, 10:52 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Miller View Post
Hello,

PADI Instructor. Diving since 1992 (originally certified NAUI when living in Texas). Lots of underwater video. Currently use a L&M Mako housing (with all the trimmings) for a Sony DCR SC-100 miniDV camcorder.

Feel very fortunate moving from the UK to North Carolina 10 years ago. Now I am just 3 hours from some of the best wreck diving in the world with fantastic visibility and sea life. I especially love the Sand Tiger sharks that like to come within a couple of feet - more so when the video lights are on!

Lo-res sample on youtube: http://youtube.com/watch?v=tnOuDMFQe20

John.
Hey John, how close are you to Pensacola? (sp?)

I was watching a tv show about the Oriskany (sp?) Looks like a brilliant dive for the techies. Definitely something I want to investigate in the future.
Old December 27th, 2007, 03:24 PM   #12
Major Player

I'm a diver doing about 3 trips a year, mostly in the Caribbean.

I have a Sony FX7, Gates housing and halogen lights for night and macro shooting.

Low resolution sample videos on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...9E1AB5C89781CB

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...12AFC6D5A84235

High resolution videos on divx stage6:
http://www.stage6.com/Belize-Scuba

http://www.stage6.com/Cocoview-Roatan

Would love to get some feedback and/or critiques.
Ron Chau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 04:33 PM   #13
Major Player

I'm probably the exception to the rule for you bubble blowers.

I freedive while shooting video - in essence - I dive to about 10-15 meters on a single breath and shoot. I was doing this with a pair of TRV950's with a Light & Motion Bluefin 950 housing but I just transitioned over to a pair of HC7's and will be accepting delivery of an L&M Bluefin HC7 with wide angle port.

Train 5-6 days a week for shooting video while freediving using many of the techniques from Umberto Pelizzari's "Manual of Freediving" as well as practice a modified primary Ashtanga yoga series for added flexibility and breath control. I'm an IAFD Level III Freedive Instructor as well, although I haven't taught much since the demise of the organization I trained through.

Hoping to get a chance to dive and shoot footage of whale sharks and mantas next year. Did some shooting of Manatee's while in Florida first week of last month - very memorable experience.
Old January 6th, 2008, 09:16 AM   #14
Major Player

Hello All,

I'm a trimix diver with Sony Z1 in an Amphibico Phenom housing, L&M HID lights, etc. My favorite dive spots are North Carolina and Truk/Chuuk lagoon. Sharks, shipwrecks and the Blackbeard/Queen Anne's Revenge shipwreck are my specialties.

www.nautilusproductions.com
Rick L. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 01:29 AM   #15
Regular Crew

PADI Dive Master

I have some of my local Southern California dive videos (shot with the Sony HC7) here: www.mydivinglife.com/ScubaBob

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land