"Nature Trip" - a bit of experimental fun :) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old December 8th, 2007, 12:27 PM   #1
Major Player

"Nature Trip" - a bit of experimental fun :)

Hey guys! :)

I decided to have a bit of fun with some nature footage and a bit of misc footage I hadn't found a good use for - and this is what happened. Don't ask me, it kinda created itself. Footage is all filmed with a Z1U in 50i, Cineform'ed to 23.976. Footage filmed in Florida and a tiny bit from Costa Rica.

I wanted to go for something based off of a saying from Monte Python....

And now for something completely different!

http://www.whizkidmedia.com/new/naturetrip.htm

Any feedback appreciated!

Carl

Last edited by Carl Middleton; December 9th, 2007 at 02:01 AM. Reason: fixed link
Carl Middleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2007, 08:49 PM   #2
Major Player

Really? 34 views and nothing?

Is it that it's in DivX, or is it that bad? :)
Old December 8th, 2007, 09:48 PM   #3
Trustee

Sorry, would like to view it but don't want to download divx. How about a wmv or mov version.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2007, 10:54 PM   #4
Major Player

Okay. I'll work on finding some good settings for a different format. Had no idea how unpopular divx seems to be, for the file size, I have pretty good luck with it as an online sharing format. :)

I'd rather that than 'everyone just didn't like it' ;)

Carl
Old December 9th, 2007, 12:56 AM   #5
Trustee

Carl,
divX has a bad reputation of beeing filled with computer virus and trojans when downloaded and installed on computers.
The best bet for you will be to provide your films in QuickTime (mov) or Windows Media Video (wmv) format.
Old December 9th, 2007, 01:48 AM   #6
Major Player

Argh. That's a pity, Per. It actually impressed me with the quality to speed ratio for streaming, but I'd rather not use a codec with that sort of a reputation. (Last thing I need is to have a customer blaming me for them getting a virus!)

I'm uploading a few quicktime h264's now (I recommend the high quality one, you lose a LOT for the half file size on the other one!), the link at the top is updated. :) I just added the links at the bottom, and put it on a template for the new website update. Feedback on that'd be nice too ;)

WMV is rendering, we'll see whether or not I'm asleep when it finishes!

Carl

Last edited by Carl Middleton; December 9th, 2007 at 01:50 AM. Reason: update
Carl Middleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2007, 03:00 AM   #7
Major Player

Alright, mov H264's and a WMV are all up. :)

Carl
Old December 9th, 2007, 07:58 AM   #8
Trustee

Carl,

Just looked at the .wmv version. You were right, it is different. Some of my favorite scenes were of the spider and the sun coming up over the roadway. Looks like you had fun putting it together. Also, pretty good encoding for such a small file size. Could not get the .mov versions to open, but that may have been an issue on my end.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2007, 10:35 AM   #9
Wrangler

hi carl: i couldn't load the h.264 files either, but i did view the .wmv--although playback is never that good for me on .wmv. it looked a bit shaky to me, but i can't tell if that is the images themselves or the junky flip4mac playback.

the trick to throwing together random nature footage is finding a center to hold the randomness and multiple locations together. this almost holds here, through the music and effects, but not quite. i'd give the edge to randomness. still fun footage, though, and interesting images. as discrete images and discrete effects, they're cool, but it doesn't work as well at the level of organic wholeness.

looking forward to seeing what you can put together for a Challenge round, when you're focusing on a single theme. you've got some skills and a good eye and some interesting concepts--i like the levitating leaf the best, that was a lot of fun--
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2007, 11:29 AM   #10
Major Player

Thanks for the feedback, both of you. :) I'll try to get a fixed MOV up - I guess H264 isn't a good choice, either.

Mark,

The DOF effects on the spider were definitely my favorite parts to work with. The vertigo on the banana spider was the key shot I designed the spidey colors around.

As far as the sunset pics - that was fun too. All those cars were slowing down to 20 under the speed limit. They thought I was running radar. =D

Meryem,

I can't say I disagree. :) In all honesty, I tried to cheat with effects and color themes to bring things together where it should have been filmed in a cohesive manner to begin with - something I know better than to do! ;)

I also can't wait for my first UWOL. February is going to be crazy - but I'm going to try to get in!

I think the main thing that hurt me with this project was the audio - whenever I do audio from scratch (loops included) I feel like I'm trying to force it. And that always seems to show itself in the final product - at the very least to me. I'm definitely not an audio guy :D

As always, the constructive criticism is much appreciated!

Carl
Old December 9th, 2007, 04:30 PM   #11
Trustee

Seems like the page is down.
I tried downloading the .mov file early this morning but it said it couldn't be found.
Old December 9th, 2007, 05:19 PM   #12
Major Player

Meep. I broke it. :)

http://www.whizkidmedia.com/naturetrip.htm

I went live with the new website layout, and forgot to update the link here! Sorry....

C
Old December 9th, 2007, 06:00 PM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Johan Naesje View Post
Carl,
divX has a bad reputation of beeing filled with computer virus and trojans when downloaded and installed on computers.
The best bet for you will be to provide your films in QuickTime (mov) or Windows Media Video (wmv) format.
I don't think so. Unless someone has hard time figuring out that http://www.divx.com/ would be the right place to go, and not http://www.givemeavirus.com/ there isn't a problem.
Old December 9th, 2007, 06:38 PM   #14
Trustee

I'm not to worried about catching a virus on my Mac but I have no real need to install divX on my system. Same goes for Real Player.

If a file is in either of those formats I don't bother with it.
Old December 9th, 2007, 07:42 PM   #15
Regular Crew

CArl,

The colours are nice but some of the shots are not as appealing as I would like them to be. For e.g the pull out of the spider reveals the very bright roofed shelter...that distracted me from the subject for a while. Alot of the footage is also too handheld for my liking. That's my personal opinion and that may be your style...:)

Cheers

WeeHan
Yeo Wee Han is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land