pclix or TC-80N3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old February 7th, 2008, 04:25 PM   #1
New Boot

pclix or TC-80N3

hello all,
im looking to get into doing some timelapse and i was all set on the pclix but then read the canon TC-80N3 remote is good for it. anyone have any advice for which to go for? the canon i think offers other functions i would use, is more portable and probably cheaper, but is it as good as the pclix for TL (my #1 priority). Just so you know what ill be using it for- i want mainly to do timelapse of flamingos at lake bogoria but want to try things like sunrises and night scenes with the moon.
any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated,
Sandy
Sandy Watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2008, 06:34 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Sandy,

The TC-80N3 is perfect and does everything that you will want for a time lapse. What you need is something that allows you to set intervals and number of frames (you can bypass that for the TC-80N3) and the TC-80N3 allows all these and more.

Cheers

WeeHan
Yeo Wee Han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2008, 07:05 PM   #3
Major Player

I think both may have similar features but the Pclix has infrared and cables for different camera manufactures. Could be useful in case you move to Nikon at any stage.

The Pclix does need 2 3A batteries but so far I have not needed to replace them and it operated down to at least -10C. As it is manufactured in Canada I would expect it to be able to operate at even lower temperatures.

The manufacturer says it should run 1 month before changing bateries
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2008, 07:24 AM   #4
Regular Crew

The TC-80N3 can run for 3 years on a battery. I have left it running for weeks before realising that I forgot to stop it. Then again, there is OFF button so the display is always on.

Cheers

WeeHan
Yeo Wee Han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2008, 01:31 PM   #5
New Boot

thanks for the input guys think my minds made up to go for the canon, hopefully will have something to post from my efforts soon!,
cheers,
Sandy
Sandy Watt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land