ND Filters at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old March 17th, 2008, 11:44 AM   #1
Regular Crew

ND Filters

Most of my flight photography has been with 35 mm where the higher shutter speed is better. I am new to the group and have been following the birds in flight thread. I have a question about using an ND filter to maintain a lower shutter speed during bright light. I use a 16x9 1.5 teleconverter on an FX1. Will still camera filters work on the threads of this teleconverter? They seem bigger than the camera threads. Any other suggestions? Are there any opinons regarding screw in or Cokin type filters?
Dale
Dale Bohlke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 06:31 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Dale,

I am not sure about your thread size. I use a gl2 with a 2x century and while it will take 72mm filters that doesn't have a hood then.

so I purchased a conkin p series filter holder and hood that mounts on the front with three screws. The hood is extendable so you can make it deeper or mor shallow for wider shots.
the filter holder will hold two filters. It takes 3x3 filters and I have a few different filters, ND is one of them, a polizer, and a 3x close up, a warming filter and a sky light.

It works just fine. The whole set up is under 50 bucks if I recall. I also use it for an anamorphic lens and a wide angle lens, so it has several uses.

were I to buy again I would get the z version that takes 4x4 filters so I could use it on my lx2 as well.

Here is a picture of it.
Attached Thumbnails
ND Filters-dsc00219.jpg  
Old March 17th, 2008, 09:36 PM   #3
Regular Crew

The Cokin idea sounds good. The tele extender has an 86mm front diameter and the screw in filters seem expensive, especially if I could use my current Cokin filters. I know this is not a cheap hobby but why duplicate equipment. Unless I hear of a better idea Cokin will be the way I go.
Dale
Dale Bohlke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land