U/W Housing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old March 21st, 2008, 02:31 PM   #1
Regular Crew

U/W Housing

I am going to be purchasing a new camera, and am thinking about letting the possibility of U/W housing help me make a decision. While this thread could co into the HUGE "What Camera should I buy" area, I hope to hear from Under Water DV enthusiasts.
I am looking to get into special events and have considered the Sony PD150 and the Canon XL1 am now I want see if there are any other possibilities and of course keeping in mind I would like to have the abilities for underwater housing.

Budget has a HUGE influence too.
Old March 21st, 2008, 05:22 PM   #2
Major Player

I use a both a Canon XHA1 and a GATES housing... which is great but not small and not cheap. I also have a Sony HC1 with an Ikelite housing which is ok if well lit, but there isn't realy any good WA options.

Depending on what you want to spend I would look at a Sony HC7 /9 with a Gates housing...(get the white balance option you will be gutted if you don't) fairly pricey or Ikelite (cheaper)

Other good options are a Canon HV20 with an Ikelite housing.

Jon
Jonathan Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 05:33 PM   #3
Major Player

I'm also a Gates fan.

It would help to know what your budget is and what you mean by special events. Scuba, snorkel, surf, night diving, wrecks, reef life, animal life, etc. ?
Ron Chau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 06:36 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I will clarify myself. I will starting PT event/ wedding video business, and am looking for a camera. If I had to choose between 4 cameras all good for what I want to do business wise, I would choose the camera that had the best housing options. I would spend under 1k for a housing. But the budget is more flexible and right now I am looking for the best camera that will give me the most options later on.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 09:11 AM   #5
Wrangler

for 1K, you are talking about a used housing, if you're getting a really good deal. Equinox has the less expensive housings under $1K, but these are for handycams, and if you're entering the world of wedding/event video, as well, then the cameras might not be appropriate for your work....it sounds like, with the budget you're describing, that you will have to figure out for yourself where you are willing to make compromises...on the UW housing side or the camera.

you can get a good camera and a splash bag from Ewa-Marine for this price, but then you are limited to shooting surface images, since they're only rated to 20 feet.

e-mail Joe Holley from Marine Visions--he is a DVinfo member and will be able to give you good advice and frequently has pretty good deals on used housings on occasion...

www.marinevisions.com
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 12:48 PM   #6
Major Player

From what you describe, I would get a separate small "B" camera and UW housing. Something like a Canon HV20 and Ikelite UW housing combination goes for about $1,600.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 07:18 PM   #7
Major Player

Ron,
Can you relly get a HV20 and a Ike housing for $1600?????

Here in Australia the Ike housing is $1300 on its own

Jon
Jonathan Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 10:43 PM   #8
Major Player

Yeah, I've seen the housing for $900 and the cam for $700 at the reputable NYC stores. I believe the housing has access to the MWB button too. Pretty good deal. The HV10 and Ikelite combo would also be nice, although it might be harder to find since the HV10 was discontinued last year. They both should make a very nice UW point and shoot system.
Old March 23rd, 2008, 12:19 AM   #9
Major Player

Thats a fantastic deal! The HV20 is a great camera for that money.

Jon
Jonathan Shaw is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land