First impressions of RED One for wildlife shooting - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old September 13th, 2010, 01:38 PM   #91
Major Player

Here's perhaps a better example of what I tried to explain in the previous post. This footage is a test how steadily I manage the camera on my shoulder while was moving on a skido. The footages itself is rather useless.

To demonstrate the point I added a stabilizing filter tyring to make the clip as steady as possible. For this reason allowed the software to zoom in as much as possible. The stabilized part is pretty smooth, and now, my point is, the original image is 4K. That yields a lot of headspace. The stabillized version of this shaky shot is still I guess around 3K resolution, so there's still plenty of space to downrez to HD 1920 x 1080.

The sample footage was processed on 2K and downconverted to 1K but should give an idea that the extra resolution makes quite a difference if shots need to be stabilized. The first 12 seconds is the original footage, the next 12 seconds the stablized version. The stabilizer creates some funny artefacts, but never mind. Here's the link to the sample

H264 file, 17.5MB : www.wildcine.fi/Stabilized-sample-H264.mp4

FLV file, about 4.8 MB: www.wildcine.fi/Stabilized-sample.flv
Lauri Kettunen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2010, 11:53 AM   #92
Major Player

Red One, Canon EF 16-35mm f2.8 L, 1/50s, f8.0
One week ago

Lauri Kettunen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2010, 02:16 PM   #93
Trustee

Hi Lauri

Wow that image is simply stunning !

I just thought I'd post a link to a UK doc ' The Wild Places Of Essex' that was shot on RED. It might be of interest and is a personal fave :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m_Cww9f2MA
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2010, 07:38 AM   #94
Regular Crew

Hi Mat,

This is tremendous film-making. Beautifully put together and very engaging.

Any idea which lenses they used for the long shots?

Paul
Paul Shapiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2011, 12:14 PM   #95
Major Player

Last comment on RED One in wildlife shooting

Everything comes to end at some point, and this will be my last comment on Red One camera in this thread.

When got the camera I started to shoot a wildlife document of Kuusamo highland reagion located in northern Finland and the east side of it is on the territory of Russia next to the Finnish border.

ARTE tv will show the

French version:
Une annee sous la lumiere arctique

and the

German version:
Unter Nordfinnischem Firmament

in Europe September 27th in the evening and a re-run October 4th. BBC Worldwide will show the document elsewhere except in Scandinavian countries.

The Finnish version be shown by YLE in Finland at some point near Christmas and the same might be shown also in Sweden and Norway in the future.

Summing up, I've been very very pleased with the Red One camera, and found it very reliable out there in warm, cold, dry and wet. I can sincerely say, have enjoyed this camera more than any other one I've ever owned. Everything suggests the new models Epic and yet unreleased Scarlet are even better for wildlife shooting, but that will be another story. This fall should be exciting in this respect.

Mat, I enjoyed the link you posted, thanks for sharing it! Also wish to thank everybody else who've posted to this thread and shared their thoughts.
Attached Thumbnails
First impressions of RED One for wildlife shooting-pohjoisen-taivaan-alla-3.jpg   First impressions of RED One for wildlife shooting-pohjoisen-taivaan-alla-5.jpg  

First impressions of RED One for wildlife shooting-pohjoisen-taivaan-alla-16.jpg   First impressions of RED One for wildlife shooting-koskikara.jpg  

First impressions of RED One for wildlife shooting-zipringa-1.jpg   First impressions of RED One for wildlife shooting-pohjoisen-taivaan-alla-15.jpg  

Lauri Kettunen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land