New California/Arizona wildflower film at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land

Under Water, Over Land
Tools & Techniques for Nature, Outdoors, Wildlife & Underwater Videography.

Old June 9th, 2008, 07:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

New California/Arizona wildflower film

A new short film based on my rambles this Spring among desert wildflowers in California and Arizona is posted at:

http://www.parkfilms.com/sandblossoms08.html

Comments and suggestions are appreciated. RT's 3:30 and I hope it's enjoyable.

Best,
Peter Rhalter
www.parkfilms.com
Peter Rhalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 09:16 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Great footage. Have you tried using a diffuser to decrease the contrast on your flower close ups?
Dale
Dale Bohlke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 10:50 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Dale,
Do you mean a diffusion filter on the lens, or a scrim (or translucent tent) between the light source and the flowers? The flowers were all shot under whatever the natural light was at the time, in any case.

Best,
Peter
www.parkfilms.com
Old June 10th, 2008, 11:52 AM   #4
Major Player

After three attempts I've given up trying to watch the video because Quicktime tries to download an update and freezes everything on the computer.

Anyway, I'm sure Dale means a transluscent sheet between the sun and the subject. I have a lastolite collapsible one. It certainly makes a difference when shooting close-ups of flowers, but isn't very practical for any kind of wider view.
Old June 10th, 2008, 01:06 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Annie,

I received a notice from Apple yesterday about a QT update, too. Haven't installed it, yet. My computer, at least asks, if I want to install the update and doesn't do it automatically.

If your computer will play a WMV file then click on the line just below the photo and that is what will pop up. Hope that helps.

It's an interesting thought about the diffuser for close-ups, although it was so windy in the desert this Spring I'm not sure it would have been practical most of the time. While I have many memories of desert wind conditions, this Spring—subjectively— was the windiest in my memory. It just felt like it was blowing hard almost every time I went out; maybe it was just my luck. If you look at the Joshua trees trembling in the wind, that doesn't happen often.

Thanks for trying and best wishes,
Peter
www.parkfilms.com
Old June 10th, 2008, 01:38 PM   #6
Major Player

The computer asks if I want to install it, but doesn't respond when I click yes or no. And it freezes everything else too, so I can't click on anything. Fortunately the document I was working on had been saved before I switched to reading on the forum. So I'll see what happens later.

Yes, a diffuser is difficult to control in the wind. I have at times taken an extra tripod and fixed it to that in desperation, but have come to the conclusion that there are times when you have to choose your subject according to the conditions, if you can.
Old June 11th, 2008, 11:39 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Peter,
I did mean something between the light source and the subject. As the video shows the wind looks nasty. I have similar prairie wind issues and am forced to shoot at the edges of daylight when it seems to quiet down. However many flowers also fold up in this light.
Dale
Dale Bohlke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2008, 01:37 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Dale,

Yes, there are many flowers that close up by late afternoon, although I know of some cacti that open up for business at dusk.

I actually like the intensity of the light during the midday hours; for flowers it's the peak time for color saturation. Later in the day their shape and form are prominent and then at dusk (or dawn) the light is soft and golden. For flower filming, I guess I'm happy any time that the sun is out.

Best,
Peter
www.parkfilms.com
Peter Rhalter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Under Water, Over Land